Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IowaDIY 2016

Comments

• Is there a published list of the projects that will be presented? I'm considering bring a variation on the Sopranos instead of the 2-way I listed, but would hate to double-up on something very similar to what someone else is bringing.

Looking forward to tomorrow...
  • Rich go ahead and bring them we have open time, as far as I know.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Turn2 said:
    Is there a published list of the projects that will be presented? I'm considering bring a variation on the Sopranos instead of the 2-way I listed, but would hate to double-up on something very similar to what someone else is bringing.

Yep, bring em both.
    I have a signature.
  • Stopping for breakfast on the road. Adam Sandler fans will get it.

I have a signature.
  • Turn2 said:
    Is there a published list of the projects that will be presented? I'm considering bring a variation on the Sopranos instead of the 2-way I listed, but would hate to double-up on something very similar to what someone else is bringing.

I dropped out of the presentation so your welcome to take my timeslot.
  • edited October 2016
    Everyone must be having a good time...........no posts.   Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • It was a good time, and I scored a Dayton 8" Ultimax off the table and three (3) NIB Optimus Linaeum tweeters off the swap meet table. The venue was stellar, the speakers fun and varied, and nothing got broken.
    I have a signature.
  • Some thoughts...

Ani did very good things with a JM Lab buyout woofer and some Minidsp.

Bill's tiny 3-way was a great speaker, the RBM driver from TB really sounds good.

Going to drop a cliche and say, once again, the differences in quality is closer than ever.

Personally, I received very pleasant feedback on both of mine - thank you, I am truly humbled.

I think we demonstrated the validity of eliminating the moving parts in the playback chain - syanara CD players.

The Lindsey Stirling track fared better than I thought it would. I think it a well engineered, extremely musical and ultimately very listenable bit of music - but I essentially included it as our torture test. I heard many people comment on the track in a positive light, however - so that was pretty cool.

Good tunes, good times, good fellowship. Sometimes I forget that DIY is really about having fun while maybe learning a couple things along the way. It isn't a race, it isn't a competition, it isn't about embarrassing commercial guys... it was, is, and always will be about having fun.

MikeJennensjhollander
    I have a signature.
  • Well done, guys, well done. The venue was fabulous, the music server was great, the builds were super and the prize drawing was SICK! Even the house demo track hasn't burned any worms in my brain, though there's one tune that does haunt me a little. I'm glad it was included though. I can't say I didn't learn anything.

I also want to commend everyone for some solid music choices. I hope at least the playlists are consolidated somewhere. Curt and Ron in particular always have great compilations, but there were many others that were new and interesting as well. It made me feel bad that I did mine in a rush and had some regrets about a selection or two.

For the folks traveling home today, have a safe trip.

• Glad to hear IOWA was a success. Hope everyone has great stories to remember(and tell  ;)).
  • Thanks for the atta-boy on the playlist Turn2.  I expect the playlists and downloads of the tracks will be available but here's my playlist just in case.

Sunrise - Chet Atkins

You can call me Al – Paul Simon

Guitar Piece 3 – Paul Simon

If He's Ever Near – Karla Bonoff

Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing - Chris Isaak

Snowbound - Donald Fagen

It was a good time. The venue was great with many great speakers to hear and friends to talk to. I managed to sell everything I brought for the swap meet table. Hats off to Ani an his wife for bringing their adorable baby girl.  She's a cutie.

Ron
  • Thank you to all at MAC for another great event! This one went soo smoooth, but that was because of your your efforts before and behind the scenes. Thanks again to a great group of consummate gentlemen!

What a day! Great friends, new friends, great music (awesome house demo track BTW) and lots of fun! I thought all the designs looked and sounded great.

I have to complement Bill on the use of resonators on the ports of his design. Great idea! I saw the wheels turning on a lot of faces thinking how they could use that tech in their own projects.

I'm already looking forward to next years event!

• It was a great event and another super job by the MAC crew. I've been one of the biggest critics of the college rooms/auditoriums we've held the event in at Grinnell but this one was easily the best yet and the best acoustically, IMHO. I hope we can use this one yearly.

Jim
  • Thanks to JR, Bryan and JP for a great event.  JP reminded me I did not provide a playlist so here it is.

Nina Simone, Feeling Good- The Very Best of Nina Simone

The Black Keys, Brothers, Tighten Up

Chet Faker Live Sessions, No Diggity

The Last Shadow puppets, My Mistakes Were Made For You
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Ani, I hope you did video. You do very nice stuff.
  • As usual, it was a great time. Kudos to JP for the new platform for the demos. Can't forget BK and JR and Mrs. JR. Great job. 
    A shout-out to Scott S for his speakers. They were outstanding. They were the first of the day, and I thought they sounded great at first listen. Nothing changed throughout the day. Not discounting any of the others, but for what it's worth, they were they shining star among all the great speakers. But I will say there were a lot of great ones. Any and all would be welcome in my listening room.
  • Is there a copy of the house track demo I can download?
  • = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Hey JP, I can't seem to get it to open....probably just me but any thoughts?
  • My play list...

Emilie-Claire Barlow – Feelin’ Groovy - Clear Day

Keiko Matsui – The Wind and the Wolf -  The Very Best of Keiko Matsui

Emerson, Lake & Palmer – C'est La Vie – The Best of Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Cowboy Junkies - Pale Sun – Pale Sun, Crescent Moon

Bonnie Raitt  - Love Me like a Man – The Best of Bonnie Raitt on Capital 1989-2003

• My Playlist
    Behind the Smile- Marcus Miller
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps- Carlos Santana with India Arie
    Fiber Bundles- Animusic
    Hold On (Telemitry Remix) Toby Mac
    Mondo Bass Boogie Sonata- David Grisman and Special Guests Dawg Duos
    Crazy On You- Heart
  • I had a great time at IOWA. I finished up closing my speakers  ( still need to come up with a name) late on Thursday, and Friday, all i did was load up and start driving. I don't even have a snap of the finished speakers - and still need to do the write-up

It turned out ok, i guess based on the some of the informal feedback i got - I am just starting out, so please let me know if you have any opinion on the speakers (one way or another).

My daughter (Aanaya, 10months old) and wife (Vidya) had joined me for the show. They did manage to stay for the entire duration, though the plan was for them to head back to the hotel after a short while!

We score a few goodies off the door prize table - A pair of gradient W130AL mid woofers, a pair of MCM silk dome tweeters and CLD tiles along with brown duratex. So expect these to be in build soon.... !!!
  • I had a great time Saturday, thanks to JR, JP, BK, and DougP for all the work they did to make this happen. Thanks also to the sponsors for their support of the DIY community.

I really like the relaxed atmosphere where we can just sit back and enjoy the music. Any of the entries presented would be more than welcome in my living room.

Thanks to those that gave feedback on the towers I brought. They did better than I expected given the drivers used.
  • How was the woofer on Pete's waveguide build? There looks to be some unique stuff in the pics. 
  • For the record:

Wagner: Götterdämmerung - Siegfried's Death & Funeral March Vassil Kozandjiew: Sofia Radio Symphony Orchestra Wagner: Magic Fire Music

Root Down (And Get It)

Rock Candy Funk Party

We Want Groove
    The Ugliest House On the Block Beth Hart Bang Bang Boom Boom
    Helpless Neil Young Live At Massey Hall 1971
    Henry's New Home Buckethead The Shores of Molokai
    Nothing Personal Ana Popovic Blind For Love

• D1PP1N said:
    How was the woofer on Pete's waveguide build? There looks to be some unique stuff in the pics. 
    I don't like wave guide speakers but I love Pete's B&C/RS28 build.  It has that tight, fast-attack bass that pro drivers deliver and it's not at all shouty like some wave guides sound to my old ears.  It couldn't have been easy to mate those drivers, but he did an excellent job.
    My signature goes here
  • My playlist

Desire - Yello
    99.9 F - Suzanne Vega
    Apocalypse Disco - Kumea Sound
    Gold to Me - Ben Harper
    Reference Point - Acoustic Alchemy
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    D1PP1N said:
    How was the woofer on Pete's waveguide build? There looks to be some unique stuff in the pics. 
    I don't like wave guide speakers but I love Pete's B&C/RS28 build.  It has that tight, fast-attack bass that pro drivers deliver and it's not at all shouty like some wave guides sound to my old ears.  It couldn't have been easy to mate those drivers, but he did an excellent job.
    I have to agree - it had the least "tweeter through cupped hands" sound of any waveguide/horn I have heard. Very nice speaker.
    I have a signature.