Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IowaDIY 2016

Comments

• jr@mac said:
    That list, and the upload link will be ready this week. Sorry for the delay. 
    Correction: Upload site will be live end of next week. Plenty of time before the show to upload your demos. (The time is being spent developing a much nicer interface, reusable year to year, for the record :D)
    kennykThumperTom
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • So far:

Matt Vach 
    Marv Schaap
    Mike Contreras
    Ed Perkins
    Bill Schwefel
    Mark Sirois
    Craig Salin
    Pete Schumacher
    Ron Erickson
    Jason Petrasko
    Matt Mizer
    Brian Krier
    Gary Porter
    Curt Campbell
    Scott Sehlin +1
    Scott Patten
    John Hollander +1
    Ani Mandal
    Rich Stessman
    Jim Holtz
    Nick Claus
    Bob Masek
    Marty Hafenbreadl
    Mike Jennens
    Bryan Keane
    Johnny Richards +1

Not a lot of details on various designs, but trending towards a lot of standmount designs. 

We will need a pair of stands, and if anyone has portable room treatments - bring them along as well. My 2' x 4' panels are no longer portable as they are screwed and glued to my living room wall. I might have several ~12 x 18 x 4 foam pads I can scatter around - see how much room there is in the Kia. 

Scott Sehlin - if you are reading this, send me a PM. I have a question about that big amp of yours. 

I have a signature.
  • Fantastic looking attendance!  I can't wait.
  • Totally looking forward to this.  After attending the Grand Rapids get together, I actually got some impetus to throw something together and bring it naked to Iowa.  <<<LOL  that's how it starts for a lot of folks.  Got to get back in the garage and make it happen.

kennykJasonP
    My signature goes here
  • Whatcha gonna build, Bryan?
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Whatcha gonna build, Bryan?
    After further consideration it looks like it will be a cold day in hell before I get my fat arse back in the garage to build a speaker - even a naked one.
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • I think diy is always a waste of time... just kidding, lol.
    MikeJennens
    I have a signature.
  • The flat packs get together in less than a day...!
  • edited September 2016
    ani_101 said:
    The flat packs get together in less than a day...!
    Or, as I'd look at it: you'd spend less than an hour setting it up then gluing and clamping and let it just sit unattended overnight
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Bryan I've got two untested un simmed projects.  You could put one together Friday night between beers?

B652 drop in some 6.5 focal woofers, or B452 drop in a no name TB 4 inch woofer.  You can do a  demo and you're in for Saturday.  :+1: 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I want to use the four Tang Band W6‑1721s and two Russian ribbons I have sitting in my office. Out of all the drivers sitting around, I was hoping to mate those.  Can't do a flat pack because I need close to 2 cubes for the TBs. I might do something but it won't be in between beers. If I do do something it's pretty much guaranteed to be horrific. I'm rustier than the nail in the back tire of my Tiburon. 
    My signature goes here
  • edited September 2016

kennykR-Carpenter
    My signature goes here
  • MAC will be giving these away at the Iowa DIY.  Just for good order's sake, the first pic is the back and the second pic is the front of the shirt.  Just call me old.  I couldn't figure out how to revise the post so the pics were in the correct order. 
    kennykMikeJennens
    My signature goes here
  • Are we not doing a fund raising this year and buying t-shirts?
  • I would like to buy a shirt.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Put me down for one as well.
  • Me too!

Jim
  • MAC are donating these for the door prize table. We may give a few away ahead of the show on social media, but not sure yet since I don't have the bulk order in my hands at the
    moment. There's no fund raising campaign since we are not shipping anyone in on our tab. We will pass the hat after the show as usual for donations to help cover expenses. 
    My signature goes here

• I finished these up this morning so I'm ready ahead of time for a change.

Ron
    kennykTurn2jholtzJasonPR-CarpenterBryan@MAC
  • Those are beautiful Ron.  Can't wait to hear them.
  • Well, I was afraid this was going to happen...

Due to the numerous constraints on my life I'm unable to attend the Iowa DIY event.  After missing last years event my goal was to get there this year however it just isn't going to work.

Have a great time guys.

Marty 
  • what, no more storm trooper? It would have been a perfect companion for the Galactic Empire!!!
  • The first pic is Soooooo dramatic looking, just like a skyscraper. 
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Like always, you do great work Ron!
  • Awesome looking speakers Ron! You're cabinet skills humble me. Beautiful! I'm looking forward to hearing them.

Jim
  • MartyH said:
    Well, I was afraid this was going to happen...

Due to the numerous constraints on my life I'm unable to attend the Iowa DIY event.  After missing last years event my goal was to get there this year however it just isn't going to work.

Have a great time guys.

Marty 
    Unacceptable. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2016
    (From an email I just sent out)

Greetings, all!

One week from today we descend upon the hamlet of Grinnell, Iowa loaded with our arsenal of loudspeakers, tubes, and assorted electron bearing devices!

Just a couple things - tonight I will be uploading the house demo as well as sending another email containing a link to said demo, as well as the upload link for your personal demos, a schedule for the day, and some other important logistical things. 

Reminder: this is not at the Harris Center this year. We are still converging on the Grinnell College campus, however we are meeting at the JRC: http://www.grinnell.edu/about/visit/tour/rosenfield-center

Our front end will be an "all in one" digital system from Jason Petrasko - I am sure he will love to engage in some Q&A about his design process. I am excited to see it function. 

If you bring your demo on a CD, please let us know as soon as possible so we can rip it to our hard drive before your demo. 

I still need a set of stands for the smaller speakers - any volunteers? 

If you are on this list, and want to attend, and have not registered - please do so today or tomorrow to be included in all of the fun: http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2016/registration/

We mostly stay at the Best Western - they might have rooms available yet. Call and tell them you want a room under Iowa DIY to get a reduced rate: http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2016/lodging/

Just remember our few, simple rules and everyone will have a lot of fun (as we always do)...

1. Fifteen minutes is the alotted time slot. This covers setup, tear down, introductions, explanations, house and personal demo music. We have found a combined (house and personal) ten minute music presentation is  the limit in order to facilitate seamless transitioning. We will likely have time after the formal event to play around - we have an interesting listening demo in the works that i think a lot people will find useful.

2. Offer feedback when asked, not before. 

3. If I hear a cell phone going off during a demo, I will have my wife lecture you like you were five years old - keep them on vibrate, please :)

4. We all love to chat and stuff - let's keep it down during playback. 

5. At the informal sessions, you guys are in charge - only two rules in place there. Everyone gets a chance to play, and we are done when the hotel says we are done. We are also obligated to clean the demo room and make sure it is ready for their breakfast crowd.  

As I said above, I will be sending out another email later this evening with all of the rest of the information needed. 

See you soon!
    I have a signature.
  • Sorry fella's I can't make Iowa again. We finally have a big project at work on the horizon with a ridiculous timeline. This next month or two is gonna be busy busy. 
  • Unacceptable.
    D1PP1N
    I have a signature.
  • Yeh it's a bummer Jr I enjoy our chats and seeing everyone a few times year for updates keeps me motivated and wanting to get better at the hobby.