Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2021

Comments

• It was definitely great to see everyone again. Lots of good designs, and no real stinkers. I for one kind of miss when there were some truly bad speakers, it is a testament to how good everyone has gotten at this, that there were none. It has become more about choosing a flavor rather than good and bad designs. Well done guys!

Billetkonfyousedrjj45kennyk
  • You guys know the rule - pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

kennyk
  • edited May 2021

Nick - Did you hear Taylor's little white open baffle design named "Recycled"? Used a 5 or 6" super cheap no-name buyout woofer and some salvaged automotive tweeter. He literally played them for the first time at the event, and didn't know one woofer had a really bad rub issue / otherwise busted voice coil. Pushing in on the cone was crunchy!

Definitely not a stinker in the sense of "I designed this and thought it was good..." but it certainly got our attention! We all had a good laugh with Taylor on that one. Lots of fun for a quick attempt at the theme.

kennyk
  • I'm not much of a shutter bug. Here are the only pictures I took:

My 20/20 theme entry

John's winning entry

Dan Nuebeker's omni speaker

My "Morgans" project

Silver1omo4thtry6thplanetThumperTomkennyk
  • edited May 2021

Thanks to all involved for another great event. Chuck gave a nice speech about Jeff Bagby and enjoined everyone in a moment of silence. He will be missed greatly.

Enjoyed listening to all the great sounding speakers. John's Mini LX-521 tribute speakers stole the show as well as the theme competition. They were simply amazing. After the Mini LX-521's played, no one else stood a chance, even though all the other speakers in the competition were also very good.

Edit: The cupcakes were made by Chuck's wife, Jen. Tasted really good. Thanks much!

Ken printed some 9 pin tube socket coasters and was giving them out free. Thanks Ken!

John H, as usual, brought a couple boxes of "free" stuff. I didn't find anything in his boxes this year, but in previous years I pickup up a nice Clairtone tube console receiver (now fully restored) and a set of four 225W wirewound power resistors. I made a nice test bench HV dummy load from these resistors and some that I had on hand. Thanks John!

Meredith C's Hegemon I speakers. They sounded very good. It was a single channel with 360 degrees of radiation.

Dan N's WGO-Waveguide Omni speakers. They sounded a little rolled off on the top in this particular room. As Dan explained, this had something to do with the way the tweeters rear radiation coupled to nearby surfaces. In a smaller room, the sound is much more balanced.

Huge swap table with lots of good speakers and other misc electronic stuff. I had to go back and forth several times to see everything.

I picked up a vintage Heathkit AA-1640 power amp after the show (200wpc). This thing is heavy. When I took it out of my car, I set it on my bathroom scales just for grins:

Bill S's (Billet) OB106 theme speakers:

More pics & comments to follow in a few moments. . .

jhollander6thplanetJasonPTurn2kennyk
  • edited May 2021

Craig's BAAB (Blind as a bat) speakers:

Keith E's Party Animals speakers:

Ani's unnamed speakers:

Craig's tube preamp:

Edit: Wolf's EMP speakers in the foreground. And that small, silver grilled speaker in the background is Wolf's bluetooth speaker called "OSFA"

I'd like to thank whoever brought these bags of brass wood screws (#8 x 3/4" and #8 x 1"). I now have enough screws to mount drivers and xovers for the next 10 years. I wasn't going to take as many bags as I did (4 or 5 total), but noone else was taking them, so whenever I stopped back I grabbed another bag.

Kerry's nice looking speakers. They also sounded good:

More pictures to follow in a few moments . . .

6thplanetJasonPkennyk
  • edited May 2021

Chuck M & Mike P's Veritas speakers:

Brad A's Uglies speakers:

Taylor H's Recycled speakers:

Dustin B's SB Satori/Tymphany speakers:

Todd E's Duettah speakers

Vincent C's JBS-5 speakers:

Nick S's unnamed HiVi D6.8/RST28F speakers

Jim B's DP-1.1 speakers:

And here are a few wider angle shots along the walls:

More pictures to follow in a few minutes . . .

6thplanetJasonPkennykkonfyoused
  • edited May 2021

I didn't get the name of these speakers, so if someone could help me out and fill in the names that would be great . . .

Edit: Per Wolf "The peach ones aeaudio (David) made, named them after the first instrument in the Bible; K-something. Name eludes me, but he told me this."

Edit: Designer: TaylorH. Speaker name unknown:

Edit: The Cheapies by Chuck M:

Edit: Per Wolf "The bigger 3-ways were built by Dustin/Randy Bagby, with the JB Tributes 2-way above the woofer module."

Edit: Brad's Elac 3-ways:

Edit: Per Wolf "Little passive or active 2-ways were the 'Dayton 4' design by duanebro, in an upgraded cab/crossover that DrJay/Marvin built."

Edit: Per Wolf "The 'bowl atop of towers' were by EricL (brkitup), but the other channel apparently had a fatality, and they did not play."

Edit: DanP's MTM towers:

Oh, and I almost forgot, these were my speakers, Radiusaurus. Open back B&G Neo3W tweeters (horn loaded) flanked by 4 Dayton ND-90's in upper and lower .5 cu ft cabs tuned to 40Hz.

rjj45jhollander6thplanetJasonPkennykkonfyoused
  • If I messed up or missed any speakers, let me know.

• It's great to see a new batch of speakers, would have liked to have been there. Bravo guys! 🤘🏼

• Couldn't make it either, but thanks for the pics. I see Ani is still king of the "external crossovers with test leads". =)

PWRRYDJasonP4thtrykennyk
  • My Desktop Obelisk's. I think they turned a few heads in terms of bang per unit volume. =) 0.38l satellites, and 3.4l subwoofer (sorry, I misquoted the sub volume as 2.6l at some point!)

JasonPjhollanderkenrhodesani_101rjj45Turn24thtrykennyk
  • So many cool and interesting designs! I hope to make it next year...as long as it's not on my wife's birthday again.

• Any of these coming to Iowa?

• The peach ones aeaudio (David) made, named them after the first instrument in the Bible; K-something. Name eludes me, but he told me this.
    The next pair of 3-ways were made by TaylorH, I don't know the name.
    Next 2-way towers were 'The Cheapies', made by Chuck.
    The bigger 3-ways were built by Dustin/Randy Bagby, with the JB Tributes 2-way above the woofer module.
    Elac 3-ways were brought by Brad.
    Little passive or active 2-ways were the 'Dayton 4' design by duanebro, in an upgraded cab/crossover that DrJay/Marvin built.
    The 'bowl atop of towers' were by EricL (brkitup), but the other channel apparently had a fatality, and they did not play.
    DanP made the MTM towers. He was not there, but Mark brought them down.

And that little silver-grilled thing in a few photos is my bluetooth speaker called 'OSFA'.

• Oh- and the cupcakes were made by Chuck's wife, Jen. Yes- mighty tasty!!

kennyk
  • edited May 2021

I had one of Jen's double chocolate cupcakes and it was delicious!

Thanks Bill for the wonderful pictures (as always) and the info on those cork coasters. I grabbed a couple. Didn't know they were Ken's handy work. Thanks Ken, they're cool!

• @Mikeg said:
    Any of these coming to Iowa?

Just speaking for myself... I rarely take the same project to multiple events unless I've made significant changes for the better or someone has reached out and specifically requested I bring it. Not that anyone else shouldn't... gives me a chance to get up and take a bathroom break.

That said, I am already in the early design (day dreaming) stages of my next project(s) that will be demo'd in Iowa. Another open baffle mid with higher performing woofers and tweeters.

• I will not be going to Iowa this year.

• There was lots of cool stuff there. All the speakers were interesting but a few caught my eye and ear enough to mention here. zx82net, aka Luke's speakers were awesome in such a tiny package. Ben's EMP x-o that takes out the 200 hz bump from the Peerless 830990. The SB12CACS25 in Ani's mid was super detailed. Dan Neubeckers creative omni design and construction details.

Special mention to Bill, @Billet who was the only one to try OB bass in the competition (I've been there).

As Nick mentioned I'd take everything you guys made home with me if I could.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Bill and I played with them a little bit at the end of the day and it was apparent that room placement makes a huge change in how they sound. I also thought it was cool to find out that those are actually a 2way speaker. Lots of potential for the correct room.

• @Wolf said:
    Everytime I heard it this weekend, I laughed thinking of this:

@KEtheredge87 said:

Nick - Did you hear Taylor's little white open baffle design named "Recycled"? Used a 5 or 6" super cheap no-name buyout woofer and some salvaged automotive tweeter. He literally played them for the first time at the event, and didn't know one woofer had a really bad rub issue / otherwise busted voice coil. Pushing in on the cone was crunchy!

Definitely not a stinker in the sense of "I designed this and thought it was good..." but it certainly got our attention! We all had a good laugh with Taylor on that one. Lots of fun for a quick attempt at the theme.

I wasn't there for that, I didn't show up until Saturday morning.
    Did you get a copy of my demo?

• I think they played after lunch.

• Great photos! And awesome builds👍👍

• @ugly_woofer said:

Did you get a copy of my demo?

Yessir. I borrowed a disc and ripped it to my hard drive. Thanks again!

• @4thtry said:
    If I messed up or missed any speakers, let me know.

The cupcakes and display were by Baby Cakes by Mama Jen, my wife :)

jhollanderJasonP4thtryBilletkennyk
  • For all those that attended, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I was concerned due to Covid but you guys showed up in force! I was truly amazed by quality and quantity that were there. I spoke with the hotel staff late Saturday and they thanked us for our decorum and respect. Cleaning up after ourselves was much appreciated at a time when they have been forced into a very minimal crew.
    The tribute to Jeff was difficult for me as I am sure it was for everyone else. He is surely missed. It was an honor for me to lead that.

For those unable to attend, know that you were greatly missed. And I cannot wait to see you again.

jholtzzx82netSilver1omoJasonPThumperTomPWRRYDBilletjhollander4thtrykennykand 1 other.
  • @Wolf said:
    The peach ones aeaudio (David) made, named them after the first instrument in the Bible; K-something. Name eludes me, but he told me this.
    The next pair of 3-ways were made by TaylorH, I don't know the name.
    Next 2-way towers were 'The Cheapies', made by Chuck.
    The bigger 3-ways were built by Dustin/Randy Bagby, with the JB Tributes 2-way above the woofer module.
    Elac 3-ways were brought by Brad.
    Little passive or active 2-ways were the 'Dayton 4' design by duanebro, in an upgraded cab/crossover that DrJay/Marvin built.
    The 'bowl atop of towers' were by EricL (brkitup), but the other channel apparently had a fatality, and they did not play.
    DanP made the MTM towers. He was not there, but Mark brought them down.

And that little silver-grilled thing in a few photos is my bluetooth speaker called 'OSFA'.

Thanks, Ben. I edited the above posted pictures and added your notes.

• @isaeagle4031 said:

@4thtry said:
    If I messed up or missed any speakers, let me know.

The cupcakes and display were by Baby Cakes by Mama Jen, my wife :)

Sorry about that, Chuck. Correction made. They tasted really good!

• Thanks to Chuck and Ben for putting this together and to Chuck's wife for the cupcakes. It was a much needed break from the past 14 months.

I'm always impressed by not only Dan N's creativity, but his ability to execute on his vision and do it in such a nicely finished package. His speakers were super cool and I'd love to hear them in a more realistic living setting to get the full effect he was going for.

The other speaker that really impressed me was Luke's 2.1 system, namely because I was very surprised out how much output it had in that room. We've had other small systems like that brought in the past but they never seem to get that loud without severe distortion and these seemed to do ok. I'm not sure if it was the passives on the back just really minimizing the excursion or what.

I think I need to buy some of those BMR drivers now to play around with now. I have a few unique ideas for how I could use them given the super wide dispersion on them.

zx82net