Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA 2021

Comments

• I'll be there Friday with the Mnemosyne build.

• I should arrive about the same time as Bill. I plan to bring two pairs to demo. I can also bring my big tube amp to play with Nick's (ugly_woofer) three ways w/wo Z comp.

• I'll be attending, but not presenting

• I should be there Friday afternoon - bringing one pair, the Dynaco tube amp, and maybe even the little TCP/DX20 with my attempt at a series crossover to play with on Friday.

Wolf
  • I'll be there with 2 or 3 pairs and the emo pre/ DAC about 2-3 PM Friday.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited October 2021

Please remember, we will be spinning CDs this year so please have your presenter tunes prepared on a CD. If you show up with a thumb drive, yes, we will be able to burn your tracks to CD. However, I’d rather not spend Friday night burning a bunch of demos. It’s been way too long and I plan to be chatting it up and having fun with DIY friends. :)

My signature goes here
  • I will be there Friday evening around 5pm and Saturday. one pair of bookshelf speakers - might have an amp or two / DAC

• Does anyone have a short set of stands, say 12" to 14" tall?

• edited October 2021

Yes. They are 13.5" high with a 7.5 x 13" top plate and a 12 x 15" bottom plate. Both plates are coated with 1/16" thick foam rubber material. The top plate is angled back by 5 or 6 degrees to project the tweeter up slightly into the room. I used them to support my Radiusaurus speakers at InDIYana 2021. They can easily handle up to 100 lbs or so. I'll throw them in the car.

• Count two for myself and Mrs. JR, and two pair.

I have a signature.
  • I'll probably bring a cheap Sony DVD/CD player and some cables just so we have something to listen with until the real front end and amp shows up.

• I'll be rolling in Saturday morning with one pair.

Hopefully not at the same time that the building wide courtesy wake up call goes off this year.

Bryan@MAC
  • I'll be there around 5 on Friday and will bring the DVD player for demos and 2 pairs of speakers. Can the house tracks with the noise track be available to put on our CD's so we don't have to swap disks mid demo?

Ron

• I just tried to find info on the event to share via e-mail and it took some real digging to come up with an address. Most of us here knows how this works but an outsider would be hard pressed to find out simple details about where and when. The MAC web site has nothing at all and Facebook points to this thread which isn't all that helpful.

Ron

• Bryan,

I'll be attending after all. Nothing to show this year.

Jim

PWRRYDRon_E
  • edited October 2021

How long should the personal demo track be?

Never mind I found Bryan's note that says 5 minutes.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Glad you'll be able to make it Jim!

• One pair for me. C you late Friday afternoon.

• @Tom_S said:
    Glad you'll be able to make it Jim!

Thanks Tom! The Surgeon won't let me lift more than 10 lbs but I'm feeling good and can get out without a problem. I'm looking forward to attending.

Jim

hifiside
  • Jim Holtz and I will be attending Saturday, and bringing a new 3way design "The Chevalier" in two variations. A 30 ltr sealed version and a 50 ltr MLTL version with a passive radiator. The goal of this design was a smaller and simple to construct enclosure. The Morel TM4055-8 dome mid/tweeter combo is paired with the SB23CACS45-8 ceramic woofer.

• @Curt_C said:
    Jim Holtz and I will be attending Saturday, and bringing a new 3way design "The Chevalier" in two variations. A 30 ltr sealed version and a 50 ltr MLTL version with a passive radiator. The goal of this design was a smaller and simple to construct enclosure. The Morel TM4055-8 dome mid/tweeter combo is paired with the SB23CACS45-8 ceramic woofer.

Look forward to hearing your design Curt.

• @jholtz said:

@Tom_S said:
    Glad you'll be able to make it Jim!

Thanks Tom! The Surgeon won't let me lift more than 10 lbs but I'm feeling good and can get out without a problem. I'm looking forward to attending.

Jim

An Oktoberfest style 1 liter beer stein weighs about 5 lbs. You're good to go, Jim!

jr@macjholtzNicholas_23Bryan@MAC
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Anyone interested in buying these?
    Technics SA-DA10 AV CONTROL STEREO RECEIVER excellent condition
    Well regarded gear of its day

CREEK Classic 5350 SE Integrated Amplifier Special Edition needs repair, chassis cover missing
    Great amp if you are willing/capable to repair

Emotiva XPA-5 generation 1 5 channel amp 200w/channel into 8 ohms excellent condition

I will bring them along if you are interested.

Marv

• @Ron_E said:
    I just tried to find info on the event to share via e-mail and it took some real digging to come up with an address. Most of us here knows how this works but an outsider would be hard pressed to find out simple details about where and when. The MAC web site has nothing at all and Facebook points to this thread which isn't all that helpful.

Ron

TBH, up until a few weeks ago it was still questionable whether this event would happen at all. To be sure, this is not a “normal” Iowa DIY. We have no sponsors and we did not make an attempt to promote the event to newcomers. Because there was enough interest amongst the crowd who has been following on this thread, we are making it happen. All the info is there, albeit not as easily accessed as in past years. I’ll apologize for that right here, right now. Sorry.

My signature goes here
  • Damn I wish I could afford that XPA5!

• @Bryan@MAC said:

@Ron_E said:
    I just tried to find info on the event to share via e-mail and it took some real digging to come up with an address. Most of us here knows how this works but an outsider would be hard pressed to find out simple details about where and when. The MAC web site has nothing at all and Facebook points to this thread which isn't all that helpful.

Ron

TBH, up until a few weeks ago it was still questionable whether this event would happen at all. To be sure, this is not a “normal” Iowa DIY. We have no sponsors and we did not make an attempt to promote the event to newcomers. Because there was enough interest amongst the crowd who has been following on this thread, we are making it happen. All the info is there, albeit not as easily accessed as in past years. I’ll apologize for that right here, right now. Sorry.

No need to apologize. My post was just a heads up.

Ron

• Without further ado, here's the 2021 Iowa DIY house track. If you'd like to include this on your demo CD in order to not have to worry about flipping discs, feel free to download and burn to your personal demo disc. It's the uncompressed *.wav file that will be used as the official house track.

Download link: https://app.box.com/s/lnw8yjzrefedoiuc8nhfhr36z8ipkky4

Track listing:

1. Pink noise shit....like 10 seconds worth (please don't remove)
    2. Yulunga (Spirit Dance) - Dead Can Dance
    3. Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
    4. Hypotheticals - Lake Street Dive
    5. I Want It All - Queen
    6. Never Can Say Goodbye - Susan Wong
    7. Tetsujin - Juno Reactor vs. Don Davis - Matrix Revolutions
    Ron_E
    My signature goes here
  • edited October 2021

Touched base with the Best Western hotel......

The manager, Scott Galyen, says it will be a slow weekend outside of our event, so hopefully we won't be bothering anyone. Well, that's so long as @jr@mac doesn't get to play Barbie Girl on 11. :p

I should be rolling in around 2pm, Friday, myself.

Venue/Hotel location, if anyone needs a reminder:

Best Western Premier Ankeny
    2502 SE Tones Dr
    Ankeny, IA 50021
    P: 515-965-5678

https://goo.gl/maps/WL93hzehRPhxysEG8

My signature goes here
  • Those cheap towers I'm bringing can handle some volume knob - we would be remiss if we didn't do a Barbie Girl torture test, just sayin'...

I have a signature.