Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA 2021

Comments

• I couldn't use the old XP printer when we went to Win7.

• Basic printer operation should still work. Try it before you change your desktop/laptop. or you can take the final images and transfer to online and print from there or if the print supports print from usb drive - that would an option too.

• Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like I am pretty much being hosed by Microsoft and Adobe. I'll check into printing from a usb drive and see if that works. I'll put a jpeg on a usb flash drive, take it into a local store and then see if an Epson eco-tank printer can print it directly simply by plugging the flash drive into the front panel somewhere. Worth a shot. If that works, that may be my cheap workaround type solution. Bill

• Bill - I have an old (it's all relative) HP Celeron workstation you can have. I bought it for a project that never got off the ground. No OS on it, but you could load up Win 10 just to see if your Adobe apps will still work.

Another thought - you may be able to send jpegs to your phone and wirelessly print from that.

• Hi All,

During my promotion of the event, I was contacted by the wife of a late DIY speaker builder. The DIY guys' name was Tom Moulis - Anyone remember him from past Iowa events in Grinnell?

Joyce has some items from Tom that she's looking to sell. I'm going to list them here for now to gauge interest. I know nothing of the worth of these items, but I do know she's not giving them away. Location is Overland Park, KS and I also do not know what the logistics would entail. I do know there are a few MAC members over that way so hopefully we can work something out if there is interest.

Here's the list. Please chime in here or send me a message. Thanks.

1. Matched pair of ESS Heil AMT Eliete tweeters unmounted circa 1980s
    2. Empire Stylist circa 1970s
    3. Shure V15 Type IV Stylist circa 1960s
    4. AKGD-200E Microphone
    5. One walnut belt drive turntable circa 1965
    6. Radio Shack Sound Meter
    7. Pair of Phase Technology pc 80 bookshelf speakers in walnut case with black metal stands on casters.
    8. Heavy Duty Microphone stand
    9. Box of Miscellaneous unknown "parts" as free lot give away
    jr@mac
    My signature goes here
  • I'm going to try to bring the Samcats since they aren't going to be delivered until November.

Like most places Iowa covid cases are on the rise. Hospital cases have doubled in the last two weeks. I hope things settle down before October.

Ron

Bryan@MAC
  • The uptick in COVID variants is definitely disturbing and it's starting to feel like last year at this time. In Chicago, the indoor mask mandate is back (whether vaccinated or not). Also, from talking to the hotel manager at the BW-Ankeny, their lounge has been closed all year and is not opening anytime soon. So basically that means BYOB. ;)

My signature goes here
  • Hey guys. Just a heads-up I'm not going to make any of the DIY events the rest of the year. I go in August 30th for bypass surgery on two arteries and a heart valve replacement. The surgeon says I'll be as good as new then. :o I sure hope he's right!

Have fun and I'll see you all next year.

Jim

• Jim here's hoping and praying for your speedy recovery!

jholtzkenrhodes
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Jim here's hoping and praying for your speedy recovery!

Me as well Jim! Praying for your quick and full recovery. My Dad had a quad bypass back in 2002 and he was like 10 years younger energy wise after his recovery.

jholtzkenrhodes
  • This is my 20th year post mitral valve repair so you can do this. It wasn't fun but every day will be better than the last and if you're having that much work done, I'll bet you'll feel like a kid again. Good luck.

Ron

jholtzkenrhodes
  • @jholtz said:
    Hey guys. Just a heads-up I'm not going to make any of the DIY events the rest of the year. I go in August 30th for bypass surgery on two arteries and a heart valve replacement. The surgeon says I'll be as good as new then. :o I sure hope he's right!

Jim

Speedy recovery Jim , Im getting up there is age where I should probably be looked at. What made you go in if you dont mind me asking ....

jholtz
  • Good luck Jim, like everyone is saying, every person that I know that has had heart surgery, has felt much, much better afterward, and actually the recovery was faster and not as bad as they had anticipated..

jholtz
  • @jholtz said:
    Hey guys. Just a heads-up I'm not going to make any of the DIY events the rest of the year. I go in August 30th for bypass surgery on two arteries and a heart valve replacement. The surgeon says I'll be as good as new then. :o I sure hope he's right!

Jim

Much like Ron I'm just a few weeks away from the 20th anniversary of an aortic root repair at Mayo. A year later I finished the Quad Cities marathon. I'm sure their magic is even better now.

All the best and I look forward to seeing your smiling face somewhere down the road.

jholtz
  • Good luck, Jim! We'll miss you at this year's event, but look forward to seeing you with your new internal parts in 2022!

jholtz
  • Thank everyone for your prayers, encouraging thoughts and personal experiences. I really do appreciate it. The surgeon said I have the widow maker, so it didn't take me long to make up my mind that surgery was the only option. ;) Fortunately, they said I'm in very good condition, so I should make it through the surgery and recovery well.

The biggest issue were now facing is getting an open bed in the hospital. Des Moines area hospitals belong to a hospital cooperative that moves patients around the state and the Midwest states as they run out of hospital beds in their hospitals, which has made it difficult to get in locally. Covid is impacting our heath care facilities dramatically, and I agree with Bryan that there is more to come.

I've had no symptoms that I would have picked up on and considered to be a heart issue. My wife and I wintered for a couple of months in Sedona, Arizona. There are three things to do with an extended stay there and that is eat, drink and hike. In one of our hiking excursions in the mountains, I noticed I was running out of breath more quickly than normal. I blamed it on altitude, but it didn't go away when I returned home when I stressed myself working out in the yard. My doctor scheduled me for a stress test and the poking and prodding began.

Again, I really appreciate all prayers and encouragement from everyone! I look forward to seeing everyone next year!

Stay safe, my friends!

Jim

Nicholas_23
  • Best wishes for a speedy recovery Jim. Glad you paid attention and caught it before a catastrophe occurred.

• Hope everything goes well for you, Jim. Hope to see you back again next year!

• You got this Jim!! Positive vibes headed your way. We’ll all see you soon.

My signature goes here
  • Thanks guys!

• @jholtz said:

Jim

Be well Jim. My dad got 23 more years after that combination of things, except he had 3 bypasses.

jholtz
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited August 2021

Be sure and let us know how you are doing as soon as you are able to.

• I will do that. I appreciate the concern, thoughts and prayers from everyone. Believe it or not, the doctors all say I'm in excellent health overall except for the heart condition. I have an excellent surgeon and have confidence he'll get me back up and running better than now.

Thanks again!

Jim

jr@mac6thplanetPWRRYDTurn2Bryan@MAC
  • I'm not coming home from Ankeny with any of this shit. I believe Matt V and Ani have laid claim to some of the contents.

I have a signature.
  • The TMNT standup stays, though.

kenrhodesTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    The TMNT standup stays, though.

Boooooooooooo

jr@mac
  • @jr@mac said:

????

dcibel
  • @PWRRYD said:

@jr@mac said:

????

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle stand up poster.

dcibel
  • @jr@mac said:

I know that I'm a bit older than that fad, and you're older than me, JR. It seemed to hit the group of boys between 2 and 4 years younger than I was at age 13. I was older than it was targeted when first introduced. Honestly, I also feel the newer TMNT stuff really disappointing in that the vocals are not via beach-bum or surfer sourced. I am likely not the best tosay one way or the other though.

(How do I recall this? I was in the hospital on my 13th birthday, admitted for a variant of Croup that almost swelled my windpipe shut, and required the sucking of fluid from my lungs. I was one of 2 cases admitted at the time. It was not the most fun time in my past either. Anyway, I was allowed usage of an NES, and played Mario2 for a bit. While I enjoyed that, a person in a TMNT costume visited me, and I regretfully recall not being very nice to him. I was of the opinion that TMNT was for younger boys at the time.)