Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA 2021

Comments

• PS. I'm scheduled for my booster shot tomorrow. Iowa has been near the top of states with high risk until this week when the numbers started to drop. If we get lucky things will continue to trend the right direction.

Ron

Bryan@MAC
  • @jholtz Yes, there will definitely be a five minute house track, and as in past years, presenters will have five minutes of their own time for tunes and then time to field questions.

My signature goes here
  • @Bryan@MAC said:
    @jholtz Yes, there will definitely be a five minute house track, and as in past years, presenters will have five minutes of their own time for tunes and then time to field questions.

Thanks Bryan! I wasn't sure after reading JR's post. The decision is still up in the air due to other factors and my recovery but we're getting closer.

Have a good day my friend!

Jim

Bryan@MAC
  • I spoke to Scott Sehlin today. He's offered to bring the Samson beast amp again. Sooooooooo, it appears that we have plenty of amps headed to Iowa. I really like the idea of having multiple tube amps in attendance as well. I think it would be fun to have a tube amp rotation on Friday night or even Saturday after the official show.

My signature goes here
  • THANK YOU to everyone who has offered to bring front end components. I think we should proceed as follows for the front end:

Bill @4thtry - Speaker stands
    John @jhollander - Emotiva XDA-2 Pre
    Ron - @Ron_E - Denon DVD-1920
    Scott - @ScottS - Samson amplifier

I will have the house track on CD and we will do it old school and spin discs this year, so please have your demo music burned to CD ahead of time. Same format as prior years - 5 minutes for the house track and 5 minutes for the presenter's tunes. We should have plenty of time for Q&A, but let's try to limit each presenter's time slot to no longer than 20 minutes on Saturday.

I welcome any comments/suggestions, etc. Many thanks guys!!

Silver1omojhollander4thtryThumperTom
    My signature goes here
  • Ya'll are the best. I believe I will pack my Emo amp as a backup, but just to make sure we have our nut covered we will need to remember to have the following:

Speaker cables - we usually use 12awg with nanners on one end.

Power cords for amps, preamps, transports.

Interconnects - will need at least two pair, plus I will bring my laptop and a USB DAC (if anyone wants to stream or has their demo on thumb drive). I will provide a 3.5mm to RCA for that.

A couple of power strips and extension cords. Personally, I only buy and use 12awg cords but truth be told at the shorter runs typical in these rooms any old cord will suffice.

I will bring a tool bag with screwdrivers, wire strippers, multimeter, etc. We seem to have at least one incident per year that warrants this.

I will bring some masks for those who want to wear them, and I am certainly not going to discourage that.

A larger cooler with beverages would be helpful, as well - water, pop, beers. It is my understanding the little bar in the hotel is not currently open (too bad, that was actually one of my favorite hotel bar experiences. I have done a lot of traveling the last five years, and that little booze nook is still associated with my happiest memories of hotel bars).

I will not be eating at that seafood restaurant. That was a terrible experience not worth another chance. When Mrs. JR and I left Ankeny in 2019, we took the highway out of town dead West and discovered plenty of places to eat just a mile or three from the hotel. My Sorento has three row seating; the back row is really difficult for grown ass men to get into, but for the brave or limber among us I am sure we can haul you out to dinner.

When the missus and I took our vacation in 2019, we stopped at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake (Buddy Holly's last gig) but skipped the crash site. We plan on hitting the crash site this year on Friday morning, so plan on me being a little verklempt Friday afternoon. Nothing a few pilsners can't fix, though.

So I have a huge pile of stuff for the swap meet. It is not going back with me. Ani staked a claim on the 15" pro woofers.

Anyways, guys - looking forward to this. Been too long.

Bryan@MAC4thtryani_101
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2021

Double-checked with the hotel:

Lounge/bar is still closed and they do not anticipate it reopening this year.

Breakfast buffet is still happening, so we will be able to score some free food on Saturday and Sunday morning.

My signature goes here
  • The Cazador is our favorite Mexican restaurant in the world and is just off the next exit north. https://cazadorankeny.com/

Ron

Bryan@MAC
  • I'll be bringing the stuff I had for sale in August for those of you that made purchases. JR, any chance you can haul 2 amps home for hifiside if he doesn't make it to Ankeny?

Ron

• @Ron_E said:
    The Cazador is our favorite Mexican restaurant in the world and is just off the next exit north. https://cazadorankeny.com/

Ron

Love me some good Mexican food! Count me in for that.

• Don't forget JR that you will be hauling home all those drivers I got in Indiana for you and Nick....

• @PWRRYD said:
    Don't forget JR that you will be hauling home all those drivers I got in Indiana for you and Nick....

Am I the lucky Nick you speak of ?

• @Ron_E said:
    I'll be bringing the stuff I had for sale in August for those of you that made purchases. JR, any chance you can haul 2 amps home for hifiside if he doesn't make it to Ankeny?

Ron

I’ll be there its looking like. Wife went hunting this weekend instead. I’m only bringing one pair of cheap speakers this year, no time to finish anything else.

Bryan@MAC
  • @Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:
    Don't forget JR that you will be hauling home all those drivers I got in Indiana for you and Nick....

Yes you Nick from SD. That quad of Vifa PJ's and those Vifa tweeters. JR has some Rat Shack drivers as well. All good in the hood...

• @PWRRYD said:

@Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:

Yes you Nick from SD. That quad of Vifa PJ's and those Vifa tweeters. JR has some Rat Shack drivers as well. All good in the hood...

Awww , well shit man , thank you ! Im not familiar with the PJ series. Not sure yet and waiting on the boss to come up with this months work schedule , I would like to go and hoping Im not stuck on weekend shift.

• @Ron_E said:
    The Cazador is our favorite Mexican restaurant in the world and is just off the next exit north. https://cazadorankeny.com/

Ron

I’m in for this as well. Sounds great.

My signature goes here
  • @Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:

@Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:

Awww , well shit man , thank you ! Im not familiar with the PJ series. Not sure yet and waiting on the boss to come up with this months work schedule , I would like to go and hoping Im not stuck on weekend shift.

Sorry, four Vifa P17WJ-0-08 and a pair of Vifa D27TG-05-06.

• Ahhh , sweet ! If I cant make it , Ill send something with JR , finders fee if you will. If you two have something in mind let me know. Thanks again Craig !

• @PWRRYD said:
    Scott Sehlin has that really nice Sampson amp we've used before. You coming this year Scott?

I have my ClassDaudio amp I built, 125 wpc @ 8 ohms and 250 wpc @ 4 ohms. Not sure if everyone would consider it "HiFi" enough... I do. It's clean and powerful :)

My reservation is made. The Samson amp is ready for another road trip as well.

hifisidePWRRYDBryan@MAC
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I just found out I'm being sent out of state next Mon-Thurs to shoot a bunch of commercials. Won't get home until late Thursday night. Great....now I'm not going to have my latest project ready in time. I was counting on those weeknights to work on the crossovers. I'll bring it along, but may need some help on Friday night to get these things sounding decent.

• edited October 2021

Here's where I'm at with these. It's my first time working with raw veneer. I found out I chose a particularly hard to work with burled species - after I ordered it. Needless to say I need to fill a few little edge cracks...then flush trim the baffles...then finishing, then paint the baffles.... :#

jhollanderPWRRYDScottSTurn2
  • Nice veneer, what did you use for adhesive ?

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Tom, we are not going to spackle and stain your speakers

I have a signature.
  • edited October 2021

This was my first time using Heat Lock. It worked out even better than I had hoped. I read madrone was hard to work with and prone to slitting, so I used Super Soft veneer softener. The veneer arrived pretty darn flat but any moisture, even the softener, caused it to ripple. I'm quite surprised I got this stuff to flatten out.

Dang it JR - I was hoping you could at least sand these baffles for me! :p

dcibel
  • Curious what the rectangular tweeter is...

• And everytime I've thought of using burled veneer I've chickened out :p

• edited October 2021

You know the tweeter! I've had these waiting patiently on the shelf since Oct of 2018.... ;)

• edited October 2021

@PWRRYD said:

@Nicholas_23 said:

@PWRRYD said:

Those Vifa/SS PJ's are almost NLA's and I've been considering getting four of them before they hit the dusty trail. If you're interested in a sale/swap/trade/barter/etc I'd be delighted to discuss it with you. - just let me know Nick!

• Hello fellow DIY folks. Can y’all chime in if you are attending/presenting next weekend? I’d like to get a confirmation of expected turnout. Thank you kindly.

My signature goes here
  • I plan to arrive by about 2 to 3pm or so on Friday with just one pair of speakers (small stand mount 2-ways). I'll also be bringing one small tube amplifier, a pair of speaker stands, and a stack of tent cards.