Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA 2021

Comments

• It's my wife's deal, and there is a huge adult fanbase.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    It's my wife's deal, and there is a huge adult fanbase.

Well, keep the wife happy! No denying that fanbase for sure!
    I still don't get the whole Power Ranger stuff either. I never could stand to watch it.

• I don't get any of the cartoon/comic book turned live action. Well, outside of Tim Burton's Batman and Nolan's The Dark Knight. However, pre-covid my wife attended many conventions - it is a fascinating world, I suppose. The costumes etc. I just find the entire thing irritating.

I have a signature.
  • Guess I'm just old enough those turtles weren't even on my radar. What scares me is that Marty knows about them :#

• I know about them, but also before my time, I'm 46

• TMNT rule. Now I want pizza.

jr@mac6thplanetS7910
  • I made TMNT costumes for my kids for Halloween. Of course we watched TMNT together on TV and collected all the action figures. All of that is long gone. I think we saved the Legos.

jr@mac
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Guess I'm just old enough those turtles weren't even on my radar. What scares me is that Marty knows about them :#

I'm just well versed in pizza.

Silver1omo6thplanetBryan@MAC
  • Comic Con or C2E2 as I know it from the Chicago event is freakin huge…. I mean huge. And the attendees are not not who’d you think. It spans all age groups and nationalities.

jr@mac
    My signature goes here
  • Mrs. JR attended ComiCon in San Diego in (I think) 2007. She met George Romero, Kevin Eastman (funny story, that), and many others. Like I said, I don't personally get it - but it is obvious tens of millions of functioning adults do. From my perch of DIY audio (a truly niche, rare, and to most - weird hobby) who am I to pass judgement?

Plus, the costumes. Oh my.

I have a signature.
  • Cosplay is a labor of love. The level of detail these people put into their work is... Next level. Like I said, from my perch of DIY Audio...

I have a signature.
  • Costume a good friend of mine made. It's licensed through I think Disney and has its own action figure card👍🏻

PWRRYDBilletugly_wooferS7910Silver1omoBryan@MACJasonP
  • Is there, or will there be a registration link?

• Yes, I’m going to work on a registration page/link this week.

@Turn2 said:
    Is there, or will there be a registration link?

Turn2
    My signature goes here
  • So we spoke a bit here and there, and realized we want to invite you all to this event - but since we are not scheduling a lunch or intending on doing a formal structure this year - a registration page was just of minimal benefit - I mean, we have the room full access formally Friday night (realistically all day Friday) and all day Saturday. We are very able to host last minute, drop in, all weekend, etc visitors.

We still have the room bloc at BW in Ankeny, as well.

Unfortunately, JP has some stuff requiring his attention and will not be attending this year. As many of you know, Jason has provided a world class custom built full digital front end for the last few years. In his absence, we are looking for front end contributions... I'll bring an Emo amp for general use, but my other gear is just really difficult to remove from its install location. Some of you may remember that last DDIY - that worked out pretty well, and this Iowa could be an even better version of that!

Since we are expecting a reduced turnout this year, I would love if you guys would bring your personal amp/pre-amp projects for demo purposes. Need a pair of stands, as well. CD players (bring your own discs - I'm not sure I remember how to use a CD) - whatever. Let's have some fun guys.

So I just wanted to get a feel for how you guys are feeling. Amanda and I will be there - we love these long weekend getaways - but I also miss you guys, so would love if you guys would stop by. Feel free to shoot me a PM, email, text (if you have my number - if you don't, just let me know and it is yours) or comment on this post.

Sorry for the seeming rambling nature of this post, I am just really excited about seeing my friends and touching base. For a lot of us, it has been too long! I'll bring a box of masks, some whiskey (talking to you, Mr. Hollander), and a small aluminum baseball bat to enforce the 6' rule if that is what it takes.

Anywhoo - I'll bring a honeycomb Dynavox project and a Sorento full of drivers that will NOT be coming home with me.

Let us know!

JR-BK

I have a signature.
  • edited September 2021

i can get some some front end - low watts stuff and/or high watt stuff

sorry, no spinny thingie...

• edited September 2021

Scott Sehlin has that really nice Sampson amp we've used before. You coming this year Scott?

I have my ClassDaudio amp I built, 125 wpc @ 8 ohms and 250 wpc @ 4 ohms. Not sure if everyone would consider it "HiFi" enough... I do. It's clean and powerful :)

S7910
  • I'll bring my 2x6 pine speaker stands, the same ones we used at Iowa and Indy a few years ago. They are 28.5" high. Top plate measures 7.5"W x 13"D and is covered with 1/16" thick foam rubber. Bottom plate measures 12"W x 15.5"D and is also covered with 1/16" foam rubber. Very stable. Everyone seemed to like them.

S7910
  • If needed I can bring the emo XDA-2 (DAC/ preamp), a Crown XLI (class A/B) 2500, 500/ 750 watts per channel or Curt's Hafler XL-280 145 watts per channel into 8 ohms. Still would need a CD transport or other DO.

Working on what Bourbon to bring/ share. My wife has plans for a dinner at some wine bar(?) and I want to go to Fongs.

Hope to have time to listen to everyone's speakers :)

• I hope you are able to hear my hybrid OB project John.

• Me too there a bunch of stuff I've missed.

• Will also bring along my re-built Stromberg-Carlson ASR-433 amplifier for the tube-o-philes amoung us. 12 watts per channel into 8 ohms, push-pull 6BQ5 output stage.

• I'll be bringing my rebuilt Dynaco ST-70, but it's sure not something to be auditioning speakers with.

• @Tom_S said:
    I'll be bringing my rebuilt Dynaco ST-70, but it's sure not something to be auditioning speakers with.

Yeah but I really want to see and hear it!

• Sure - we'll take it for a spin, but it's not exactly what I would call a flat, neutral sounding amp.

• @jr@mac said:
    So we spoke a bit here and there, and realized we want to invite you all to this event - but since we are not scheduling a lunch or intending on doing a formal structure this year - a registration page was just of minimal benefit - I mean, we have the room full access formally Friday night (realistically all day Friday) and all day Saturday. We are very able to host last minute, drop in, all weekend, etc visitors.

We still have the room bloc at BW in Ankeny, as well.

Unfortunately, JP has some stuff requiring his attention and will not be attending this year. As many of you know, Jason has provided a world class custom built full digital front end for the last few years. In his absence, we are looking for front end contributions... I'll bring an Emo amp for general use, but my other gear is just really difficult to remove from its install location. Some of you may remember that last DDIY - that worked out pretty well, and this Iowa could be an even better version of that!

Since we are expecting a reduced turnout this year, I would love if you guys would bring your personal amp/pre-amp projects for demo purposes. Need a pair of stands, as well. CD players (bring your own discs - I'm not sure I remember how to use a CD) - whatever. Let's have some fun guys.

So I just wanted to get a feel for how you guys are feeling. Amanda and I will be there - we love these long weekend getaways - but I also miss you guys, so would love if you guys would stop by. Feel free to shoot me a PM, email, text (if you have my number - if you don't, just let me know and it is yours) or comment on this post.

Sorry for the seeming rambling nature of this post, I am just really excited about seeing my friends and touching base. For a lot of us, it has been too long! I'll bring a box of masks, some whiskey (talking to you, Mr. Hollander), and a small aluminum baseball bat to enforce the 6' rule if that is what it takes.

Anywhoo - I'll bring a honeycomb Dynavox project and a Sorento full of drivers that will NOT be coming home with me.

Let us know!

JR-BK

Hi JR,

Curt and I are still discussing whether we'll be able to attend this year. So, I have a question.

Will there be a house demo track as in the past or will it be more along the lines of folks playing whatever they want? In other words will there be some structure?

Thanks!

Jim

• I have a vintage Denon DVD-1920 player I could bring for disks. It has analog, optical and coax outputs and will play super audio CD's.

Ron

ani_101