Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA 2021

1234568»

Comments

• Sorry to interrupt but who brought the farm truck? Beer and where is it from?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Wolf said:
    I have a Denon like that....
    What is that Stromberg thingy?
    I see Robert "Brian" Clark made it!
    Scooter needs to spill about his lil mtm towers...
    Tom, I bet you had enough sensitivity to flatten your 5002 out! How'd they sound?

The lil MTM's are my outdoor speakers - Manganese. More info here..
    https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/1516/manganese-new-deck-speakers/p1

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • More pictures from Saturday.

Ron

Silver1omo4thtry6thplanetS7910dynamo
  • As usual, I'm late to the party. I thought there was a great turnout and speaker representation variety this year. I also appreciated the folks that stepped out of the room to chat. It made serious listening much easier. Innovation and creativity was on display all day long with several unique speakers that were a lot of fun to listen to. Sound quality was top-notch, which made it more fun.

A special thank you to Bryan, JR and Amanda for pulling this all together again this year. Iowa DIY is an icon in the hobby, and I'm extremely pleased it goes on in spite of the pandemic and employment challenges in the country. Great job!

I honestly was left a little speechless by the many, many very kind comments about me and concern for my recovery from heart surgery from so many. I sincerely appreciate it! It was great to be able to attend and enjoy seeing everyone again and catching up.

Anyway, Thank You! It meant a lot to me.

Jim

jr@macBryan@MACPWRRYD4thtry
  • edited October 2021

Aw man. I have to say I am so glad this happened. It was great to see everyone again and even though this was a more scaled back, less organized and unsponsored Iowa DIY, it was fun as hell and felt like a pretty normal show.

The amplifier test with Nick’s dead sexy monkey coffins was quite interesting and while I could not hear any difference with/without the impedance filter, I could hear a difference between amps. That validates what was agreed upon in Chicago in 2015 when we did the amp shootout - that amps do sound different.

I tried to be a critical listener during the demos but honestly I was too busy worrying about keeping the flow of the show going that I don’t think I’m qualified to give my $0.02 about any of the designs. I did think several of the designs sounded 100% world-class good and between those it was impossible to pick a “best of.” But damn…. You guys design some seriously awesome stuff all around. As usual there was insane craftsmanship and attention to detail that doesn’t exist in commercial crap. I’m humbled to roll with this crowd.

Hey @jr@mac thank you so much for the help and support and the pep talk to keep me from freaking out. Again so glad this happened.

Thanks everyone!! Next year is gonna be so awesome.

jholtzPWRRYDMartyHRon_E4thtrySilver1omoS7910squamishdroc
    My signature goes here
  • Burned the picture disc today (160 total). Will drop it in the mail to Bryan on Monday.

kenrhodesdynamoBryan@MAC
  • Looks like it was a great event. I wish I could have attended but the Mrs. is recovering from hip replacement surgery. Maybe next year/time.

• Received the photo DVD from Bill S - @4thtry yesterday. Thanks Bill!! I’ll try to get these and the 2021 Indy pics up on the MAC website archive this weekend.

4thtryS7910
    My signature goes here
  • Thanks, Bryan!! Hope everyone likes them.

jholtzS7910
  • Hi everyone. This is a temporary spot for the awesome pics Bill S. @4thtry took at the 2021 Iowa DIY. You should be able to view as well as download from the Box folder(s). I've got a lot of work to do on the MAC website and after that's completed, I'll do the usual archive page.

Within the main folder are three sub-folders:
    Tent Cards
    2500x2500 resolution pics
    4000x4000 resolution pics

Thanks so much to Bill for his fantastic work.

https://app.box.com/s/kd1qhnebi5f1s7s18uz5x22qczag373v

dcibelS7910
    My signature goes here
  • @4thtry said:
    Thanks, Bryan!! Hope everyone likes them.

Nice pics Bill.

• Great work on the pics Bill! (as always 8^)

• John, your mini LX is so frickin cool😎

• Thanks Eric. Lots of good speakers at this event. Thanks Bill for the great pictures.

• Thanks for the compliments. As an aside, I'm seriously thinking about picking up an unlocked Google Pixel 6 Pro phone to shoot future events. They are not cheap, but these phones are beginning to rival the quality of my high end DSLR (Nikon D800). Don't believe me? Take a look at the pics that Marvin posted from the Grand Rapid's event, which he shot with a previous version of this phone:

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1473156-diy-speaker-event-in-grand-rapids-mi/page2

John, I'm thinking of building a pair of these. But every time I check, PE is back-ordered on some of the versions of these drivers. For the RS100P, would this be the 8 or 4 ohm version? Same question for the ND91's (4 or 8 ohm)? I think the ND20FB is the 4 ohm version (I don't think this one is avail in 8 ohms). Thanks.

• Bill, correct ND20FB-4, RS100P-8, ND91-8

• edited March 2022

Somewhere in the above comments I think Bill guilted me into posting a few pics. These are woefully overdue but I thought I would post them just for fun.

As far as quality goes, I think when I zoom in on my phone camera, the quality is compromised. I took several that I was too lazy to get off me bum for so I zoomed in.

Proud presenter & recipient of the lifetime acheivement award: Mark and Curt
    Congratulations and great work Curt!!

Craig Salin

Questions anyone?
    One of my fun favorites of Scott S (sorry Scott, I couldn't resist posting LOL)

Tom S

Bill never gets this handsome guy in his coverage! LOL

• Here's a few more pics.

Ani

Johnny Richards

John H with his Linkwitz 521 minis

Some of the attendees

Ron E pontificating math.

4thtry
  • Nice set of pics, Marvin! Thanks for posting. I haven't picked up a Google Pixel 6 Pro yet, as I am still waiting for the unlocked prices to come down a bit.