Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2022; "Missing Link" theme announcement....

Comments

• Your binding post photo looks like you are using a type that will accept standard dual banana plugs with a center to center spacing distance of 0.75 inches. But I could be wrong. Just double checking. I'd like to use standard dual banana plugs at the ends of my 12" hookup cables.

• Uh- nope. These will not take 3/4" spacings. Of that I am certain. It's the Dayton dual binding post plate, fitted with CMC 878 Rhodium posts.

• @dcibel- why do you want the impulse responses? The gating is already good down to below 300Hz as they sit.

• That's a no then? It's probably fine, I don't need 'em.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Will someone send me a PM with Mark @ Meniscus' contact information? The form at the Meniscus website contact page says I'm a spammer and won't let me send a message.

• You'll have a PM shortly...

I was just wondering why you thought that would make a difference to have the Impulse response, when the usable resolution and extension was already so far down for the already generated .frd files.

I don't see the need for giving those out when all else is already there.

• Verification, diligence, design secrets, maybe just greater trust in files I have processed myself. Can't reveal too much, it is a competition after all :). I would expect that if you did provide the raw measured impulse files, it would not be a favour just for me, but made publicly available for anyone else that want to analyze them.

Thanks for the email address, got it :)

• Okay, due to the stocking concerns and the mostly unavailable drivers (woofers), Chuck and I have decided to host a 'voicing day' on Jan 29th in Laporte, IN at his church, venue address et al will be as information comes in. If you have a xover made up you can bring it and dial in your sound to where you prefer it.

I know for some of you this is too far to travel. I figured the option would be appreciated for those that would have purchased drivers and were not able to do so.

I will be bringing the speakers as they will be in April, not to be changed from that point until after the main event.

Please let me or Chuck know if you can and want to attend.

The main event dates and such should be nailed down by the end of the month.

• Address of "voicing event"will be:

6006N Fail Rd.
    Laporte, IN 46350

​​​​​​

• Thanks for the update. I plan to attend the main event in April with one non-theme pair, but will not be there in January.   I've modelled the frd's in  VituixCad, but have not decided yet if I am actually going to order parts and build something.

• Mark never did get back to me with any details, price etc for my international entry. I sent him a schematic and BOM using parts available from Meniscus, and just a simple response “let me look into it and get back to you” back in October.

• Hrm.. I'll put a bug in his ear...

• Do we need to put 12-inch pigtails on the "input" female banana jacks? If not I'm considering hard mounting the binding post to the x-o board. Also, are the x-o components required to be visible? I have a plastic box that might work.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Mount the input terminals if you want on the short end. I did that on mine too.
    Visible? The bag will cover the parts, 10"x6"x3". Make sure it fits the bag. Seeing the parts is not necessary unless you want them visible affer the comp is over.

• I'm looking forward to this years meet. I've got my crossover design pretty much done... Hopefully, I can build it in 4 months or less :)

• edited December 2021

@Billet said:
    I'm looking forward to this years meet. I've got my crossover design pretty much done... Hopefully, I can build it in 4 months or less :)

Shouldn't be too hard since you like using only two or three part crossovers :astonished: just rib'n you Bill :)

• Yeah, might be 15 minutes for that job...

Mine are done, and voiced.

• @Wolf said:
    Hrm.. I'll put a bug in his ear...

Mark did get back to me, no specifics yet but it sounds like a plan is underway to provide my entry.

Will be interesting to see how this competition turns out. I have a feeling that there may be a lot of rather similar entries, the measured data is mostly "forcing your hand" as far as the crossover goes IMO, but we shall see.

• edited December 2021

I don't know about that. I've looked at a couple other people's sims, and those of us that have shared privately do not show anything but the on-axis sim. No transfer function, no impedance, etc. This way you can't pattern another after each other. So far, they have been at least a LITTLE different. It's all subject to change too.

Most of us use different circuit topologies or arrangements to achieve a goal in response, at least when they get tougher to accomplish. Sure, PCD and WinPCD pretty much make you use the same inherent set of filters. I used Xsim to get what I wanted accomplished this time, as the other 2 won't do it, and I'm not as fluent with Vituix to use it yet. FWIW, it's an atypical filter for me at least.

I just really don't think they'll all match.

Mark did reply to me thinking he had already taken care of you, but that he'd look into it. I'm glad he did right for you. They are all stand up guys there at Meniscus.

• edited December 2021

It would be great to see some diversity. If my entry makes it, it is entitled the "basic bee" since it is as basic of an implementation that I could come up, and the woofer is yellow honeycomb, so it fits the theme ;)

Provided that some of the entries are rather complex, at least you will have some frame of reference to compare to a real simple design that will be presented without being heard ahead of time.

• Typically I'd do an few sims, build, and then listen and maybe change the x-o point if one of the drivers seems off. Now I'm doing a bunch of guessing about how the x-o with drivers might sound, and if it would sound different enough to be audible.

The other thought is because there's not a lot of listening time, maybe it's better to make something distinctive. That 4K bump might not be annoying for 3 minutes, right?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Hopefully my entry will sound different, that is the plan... I am up to a whopping seven parts, a record for me!

PWRRYDkenrhodes4thtry
  • I've even toyed with the idea of entering a 'dud' into the mix, just for some immense differences.

Billet, I'm not surprised you had to go that high either. I'm pretty stout on parts count as well.

• I'm sure I'll bring a dud for you. 😂

WolfBilletugly_woofer4thtry
  • @Wolf said:
    I've even toyed with the idea of entering a 'dud' into the mix, just for some immense differences.

That's a pretty neat idea Ben. Maybe not a complete dud where there is a wide valley or hump 10 dB below or above reference... but maybe something like pushing the tweeter too low without any Fs comp, or leaving a woofer breakup untamed.

I'm not entering a xo but think it would be fun to know after everything was revealed "Yeah I could totally hear that..."

• Not to derail with ideas for a "dud", but another option is a crossover using manufacturer specs. Lots of newbies post a sim using mfg responses and are told they NEED to measure. It would be interesting to see how different (bad?) it comes out. (I'd probably do this if you think it is a good option).

• Ive thought about that too, optimizing for modeled results adapted to baffle, and real impedance modeled to box.

• edited December 2021

@Wolf said:
    Ive thought about that too, optimizing for modeled results adapted to baffle, and real impedance modeled to box.

Then you would have a Roemer entry 🤫 😂

• No, because I would be taking all into account, Craig, just as I normally model. Chris doesn't even go that far. You'll find his BSC implementation is pretty basic and not all that accurate, and his phase modeling is uhm lacking usually.