Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2022; "Missing Link" theme announcement....

Comments

• With the method I've described, I've nailed some designs without need to change the result. Garbage in = garbage out. Good curves = good results.

PWRRYD
  • After I posted, I thought more about it and how I want to learn VituixCAD so I WILL enter a XO using mfg frd and zma. My understanding is that supplied frd curves are often pretty good and its the TS parameters that can be way off. So it may not be a "dud", but probably won't "compete" with the serious entries. I like PWRRYDs idea of a dud with some deliberate flaws.

• Would be nice if we could A-B in real time for comparisons

PWRRYD
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • David- you should at least use the real impedances, and model with the T/S I've provided, EVEN IF you use the mfg provided curves.

Heck, I might 'dud' a couple...

• edited December 2021

I am thinking of bringing a single cap crossover as a trial, probably not as my entry. That could be a good "dud", although I think it might actually sound pretty decent.

• With the double breakup, i doubt it. They do sound hard and nasal without killing that breakup.

Billet
  • You may want to re-think this dud idea.  What happens if the dud actually wins?!    :o Never happen?  Didn't the "off-the-shelf" crossover actually win one of the two "show of hands" competitions a few years ago at Meniscus?

dcibelTurn2
  • No, it was either Matt's or Jeff's. Matt did it by ear, and Jeff did by measurements only.

If a dud wins, then I think we all need to recalibrate.

This makes me not want to do the full sim as I normally would without FR plots. If David or someone else wants to, that's fine. It might be too close to call against some others, and then I'd be stacking the deck with 2 decent entries. If I do a dud or 2, then they will be glaring errors, and not badged as my own work.

• @jhollander said:
    Would be nice if we could A-B in real time for comparisons

Wolf, I have two Adcom GFS-6 speaker selectors. You could have 6 or even 12 crossovers connected and ready to go. I'm not sure how feasible this is, I would assume you'd need to measure a sample speaker through each selector to make sure it is a clean signal. It doesn't take banana connectors but has a really simple twist-lock feature and I think would take up to 12AWG wire.

• @Wolf said:
    David- you should at least use the real impedances, and model with the T/S I've provided, EVEN IF you use the mfg provided curves.

Heck, I might 'dud' a couple...

Yeah, but...I would like to see what a xo completely without measurements can come out like. I'll model the impedance "in-box". I don't expect it to be "great" but I'd be interested in how reasonably good (or bad) it is.

Billet
  • We're just going to use a random bracket system similar to before.

• Finish my last version. Ben said it would fit.

• That's a cap!

• Lots of used parts. Can't remember where that cap came from. I think the Litz was from Dan P.

• I've got foils in mine, because it's what I had....

• My parts are on order, they should be in Monday. Would it be easier if the connections were vertical? I'm thinking it would, but I thought I'd ask.

• Straight out the back preferred, with the 12" leads. This way the bag doesn't have to be partially removed to connect them.

• edited January 2022

So the bag will be laying on its side then? Will it be open to the front or back? This is starting to make more sense to me now...

• edited January 2022

Duplicate post

• To one end.
    6" x 10" base, by 3.25" max height. 6" x 3.25" end is open, hopefully to the rear or out of sight.

• Reminder; We are having a 'Voicing Day' In LaPorte on Jan 29th, see previously posted address.
    We are minimal in RSVP at this point for this. Just Chuck, Mike, Myself, Nick, Brad and Coop. Please let us know if you are coming.

Dates for InDIYana 2022 are now set. They will be Friday May 6th, and Saturday May 7th. More information to come.

• Link for room reservation is posted. If you wish to split with someone, they will divide the cost if you call and ask. Just ask for "DIY Speaker Builders" block. Thurs/Fri/Sat nights available. Dates are May 6/7.

• Missed this earlier - Mrs. JR birthday is May 7th, so I will likely not be attending. I may bring her to Grand Rapids, however.

I have a signature.
  • GR is a great town. B)

• Slight change of plans, we will be attending together. I will book flights and hotel tomorrow.

Ya'll make sure to make her birthday awesome.

I have a signature.
  • Cool, I finally get to meet your better half.

• @Wolf said:
    Cool, I finally get to meet your better half.

We are both the better half. She is pretty awesome.

I have a signature.
  • Flights, rental car, and hotel room booked. We will be arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving early Monday morning.

I know quite a few of you have met Mrs. JR, but for those who have not - do not bug her when she is in critical listening mode, she can get irritated. Zeus knows I have suffered after interrupting her.

Anyways, this means I might not make Grand Rapids - this is not a cheap trip.

I have a signature.
  • @Wolf said:

Dates for InDIYana 2022 are now set. They will be Friday May 6th, and Saturday May 7th. More information to come.

I won't be able to make it this year. I'm already committed for a scale model competition that weekend.

I'll see y'all in Grand Rapids or Iowa.

• What sorta scale model?