Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• @PWRRYD said:
    Since this is the "off topic" thread... any of you guys have a swimming pool for the family? We've had ours for 5 years now. The kids will swim whatever the temp is but Mamma and I need at least 78 lol

Maybe you'll get some bear cubs in it, there are quite a few videos on YouTube!

Geoff

• @GeoffMillar said:

@PWRRYD said:
    Since this is the "off topic" thread... any of you guys have a swimming pool for the family? We've had ours for 5 years now. The kids will swim whatever the temp is but Mamma and I need at least 78 lol

Maybe you'll get some bear cubs in it, there are quite a few videos on YouTube!

Geoff

Now that would really be something in suburban Illinois!

I have a signature.
  • There is an occasional bob cat spotted around northern IL but no bears.

• Chicago bears?

hifisidea4eaudioSteve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    There is an occasional bob cat spotted around northern IL but no bears.

Just wait.

Bear headed for Rockford

• Oh great! One more thing to make Illinois suck even more!

• Jim Gordon

I just noticed that Jim Gordon, famous session musician and member of Derek and the Dominos, died in March.

He played on many albums including some by Joe Cocker, Steely Dan, George Harrison and Carly Simon. His work on Derek and the Dominos Live is stellar.

Great drummer, but very sad and tragic life; a diagnosed schizophrenic, he murdered his mother and spent the rest of his life in jail.

Geoff

• Eric Clapton organised a tribute concert for Jeff Beck Last week, apparently Rod Stewart told him to do it at Jeff's funeral. The concert won't be released commercially, but several audience members recorded some songs and have uploaded to YouTube (link above). This number includes Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks:

Geoff

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • R.I.P. Tina Turner

• Damn

I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

Wow! God's speed Tina. You broke through many barriers.

• @hifiside said:
    R.I.P. Tina Turner

Whoa! A giant. Some strong memories of Tina and Proud Mary at every wedding I went to in my youth. When it would play my parent’s generation b.1930-1940 would pop up from their seats and get out on the dance floor. Was the Proud Mary played at weddings a thing everywhere?

• We are losing musical icons too often these days. I'm still in denial that Tom Petty is gone!

6thplanet
  • Random history tidbit:

"JFK to the Moon, 5/25/1961"

You will likely use (or are using) everyday tech that is possible because of this initiative.

• You will likely use (or are using) everyday tech that is possible because of this initiative.

Certainly; the first I can remember using in the early 70s was a "space blanket", a thin plastic sheet with an insulating layer on one side; it was brilliant, always used it camping

Geoff

• Short guitar solos:

Almost any rock music fan likes long, interesting solos, but there are heaps of short, punchy licks and fills which aren't showy, but really set off the song. Like:

• Me Myself I, Joan Armatrading: solo by Chris Spedding;
    • Gimme Some Truth, John Lennon: solo by George Harrison;
    • Taxman, The Beatles, solo by Paul McCartney;
    • I Won't Back Down, Tom Petty: solo by Mike Campbell;
    • Fire, Jimi Hendrix (studio version - most of the live versions are longer)
    • Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty: solo by Harvey Burns, I think?

Many more, of course: you could probably put in almost anything by The Beatles...

Your suggestions, please!

Geoff

• Beat it Michael Jackson with EVH its the iconic "helper" solo

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Beat it Michael Jackson with EVH its the iconic "helper" solo

It's Aqualung, by Martin Barre of Jethro Tull. Beat It pulls up at third.

https://musicradar.com/guitarist/the-20-greatest-guitar-solos-of-all-time-403987

• The solo by Tom Morello in Like A Stone by Audioslave is one I like a fair bit.

• On our way to the beautiful Black Hills of SoDak for the weekend. My parents live in the Southern hills, so we stay in a hotel near them.

Time for trees and buffalo!

kenrhodesSteve_LeehifisideTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • The Black Hills are pretty sweet. I hope to add it to the short list of places to go.

• @jr@mac said:
    On our way to the beautiful Black Hills of SoDak for the weekend. My parents live in the Southern hills, so we stay in a hotel near them.

Time for trees and buffalo!

Enjoy , good place to hunt for rocks too. Let me know if you hit a rock shop and something catches your eye. Looking for a nice fairburn

• SoDak

Turn26thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Is the buffalo behind the trees?

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Is the buffalo behind the trees?

No. JR is riding it taking pictures.

tajanesSteve_LeeEd_PerkinsTurn2S79106thplanet
  • That's the interesting thing about South Dakota, you can get half of it on one picture. Then you get to the hills.
    Some of those plaines states you could fall asleep at the wheel and wake up an hour later and nothing change but the gas gauge.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • edited May 2023

@kenrhodes said:
    That's the interesting thing about South Dakota, you can get half of it on one picture. Then you get to the hills.
    Some of those plaines states you could fall asleep at the wheel and wake up an hour later and nothing change but the gas gauge.

Yeah I took a solo motorcycle trip 10yrs ago out west on a 500cc. The wind was the worst part of those states.. Fighting the wind and gusts just to go straight for hours on end. It is a strange feeling to be hanging off the right side of the bike but making a gentle left turn. The gas pumps out there have little plexi plates with hinges riveted on covering the receipt dispenser. If they didn't, noone would ever get their receipt. Would be immediately blown away.

• We fought 30+ gusts straight out of the South for the first 360 miles today. Tires the arms out.

I have a signature.