Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• @jr@mac said:
    Something positive for a change - I might be going back in to live sound. Local band. Need a lot of help, not the least of which is a shitty singer lol. I will do my best to make her sound good, though.

Just give her the Billy Crystal ‘You look (and ~sound) MARVELOUS’ twice-over…

• Doesn't get much lighter than this.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Doesn't get much lighter than this.

Might be interesting if you can somehow post a before (pre-eq) and after ‘touch up’ audio of the singer

• @tajanes said:

@jr@mac said:

Might be interesting if you can somehow post a before (pre-eq) and after ‘touch up’ audio of the singer

Her biggest issue is she just can't project. Hard to fix that, so a lot of compression and the volume knob are about my only fix.

I have a signature.
  • @Tom_S said:
    My old surplus frequency counter decided to become a doorstop, so I bought an old Tektronix on eBay. Shipped out of Chicago - this is the best route to Cedar Rapids according to USPS??

I ordered a pair of mids from Madisound and shipped them to my nephew who lives 18 minutes away as a gift. It took a week for him to get them via Milwaukee.

Ron

• That's insane! That kind of stupidity may be part of why the US Postal Service is losing so much money.

• CD ordered from Amazon UK on a Thursday, arrived in Melbourne (Oz) the following Tuesday via Royal Mail; CD sent to a niece 12km away by Australia Post: two weeks. However, four Dayton woofers sent on a Monday via Australia Post arrived 80km away the next day. There are all sorts of reasons for these discrepancies, one of which is that AP makes more money from parcels than letters, and a CD is classed as a letter.

Geoff

• @jr@mac said:

@tajanes said:

@jr@mac said:

Her biggest issue is she just can't project. Hard to fix that, so a lot of compression and the volume knob are about my only fix.

I have a female singer who gets really harsh when she wants to crescendo on the final chorus... compression can only help me so much. My finger is always on her vocal mic fader. Such a shame. She has a beautiful voice like an angel, but it all falls apart when she tries to go loud. I've told her many times I'll bring her mic up on those parts. I know it's emotional just like drummers hitting the skins harder or speeding up their tempo.

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 2023

Stripper pole on the dance floor, my kind of bar.

My view most of the night, sadly no young ladies taking advantage of the pole:

hifisideugly_woofer6thplanetSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • I miss the stage.

PWRRYDjr@mac
  • Is that said singer behind the keys?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Is that said singer behind the keys?

Yessir

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

My view most of the night, sadly no young ladies taking advantage of the pole:

One of my nieces plays violin with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and her own quartet; she uses pole exercises to maintain upper body strength.

Geoff

jr@mac
  • There's a place here in town that has "pole exercise" classes. They have a very cleaver name that I'll have to look up.

• Beaver Lodge Pole?

Ed_Perkins
  • Signed up with a company that distributes music to all the streaming services. Spotify being one of the more popular ones...
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/3nuAUL4s9hVN9dfFZVBygz?si=08hjg3guSXqyprCVfWwMtg
    I'm on most of the other ones as well. Still have a few more songs to upload. I'm open to suggestions on the mixes as I try to run them by a few people before commiting to the final mix. I know I can't please everyone, but I know you guys all have top notch stuff and care about the quality. This is of course barring in mind you can bare listening to my music.😬

Steve_Leejr@macjhollander
  • I'd be interested to know: what was your first job?

Apart from a week painting a house, mine was a six week holiday job working on a large department store's 'rooftop carnival', which had four crappy rides, a kiosk selling pies and icy-poles, plus pinball machines. We had to dress in polka dot shirts, engine drivers' hats and awful blue cord pants. The music consisted of "Hot August Night" played non-stop all day every day as that was the only tape they had. How I hate that album....

Part of that job was to fill in as a Santa Claus for a week when one of them fell ill: what a rotten experience! I was only 75kg but was the tubbiest person available (and I'm 6 ft tall, so I was not a Santa shape); for obvious reasons, I had to wear plastic pants under the costume in summer heat and remain 'jolly'. Plus some little tyke kicked me in the 'gentleman's area' and I couldn't swear!

Anyway, the wage was just enough to pay my parents some board and buy two LPs a week.

I suspect that compared with many others' first working experience, I had an easy time?

Am now retired so can look back at those times and laugh and I still have some of those albums.

Geoff

• In the midwest corn and bean country, many of us had our first jobs either "walking beans" or "tasseling corn". The prior involves spraying various chemicals, the latter is assisting in pollination process. Shitty work, which is why it is all done by underage kids and migrant farm workers. Walking beans was my first "job".

My second "job" was umpiring t-ball games. That was fun as hell, and I made $7 a gig - back in 1988-9 that was quite a pile of cash for a 13 year old kid when you umped four games a week.

My first regular paycheck job was as a busboy at a truck stop. I worked my way in to a cook job, and eventually quite a but of my early adult life was spent in kitchen management.

Today I am a safety guy, following on the heels of almost 20 years in industrial maintenance, process engineering, and maintenance management.

I have a signature.
  • My first job, where I received an actual pay check, was as a day camp counselor at 14 years old. I think they paid us about $1/hour lol. At 16 I scored a fantastic job working for a welding supply distributor. 7 to 3:30 during the summer and 2 to 5 after high school. I washed trucks, swept the floor, painted tanks, filled CO2 tanks, mowed the grass, etc. I made almost 4 times more than what my friends were making and I never had to work nights or weekends. I've been doing Engineering since I graduated college over 30 years ago.

• First job was a day dressed as a clown holding a sign for promotion out front of a rental place both my folks worked at one time or another. Made a crisp Jackson that day, and I was I think about 13 at the time. I later worked there myself after school and Saturdays sweeping the floor, wiping down returns, and cleaning the private restroom. Wasn't a bad job I suppose now looking back.

Next job out of high school was a factory job where my dad had been employed his entire adult life. I sunk about 10 years in there total. 2 years part time through college and full time summers, then full time 8 years after about a 4 year gap. I worked in the steel stamping, threading, and finally driving the forklift for about half that second stint as material handler and warehouse employee. Made okay money until I was on a list somewhere. I'd likely still be there if they hadn't ousted me. For the first 3-4 years of that time, I also worked weekends at a bookstore in the music department.
    The 4 year gap was at a plastic injection plant where I met my wife, and worked up to material handler driving forklift and then mixer. After the 8 years above, I worked at another plastics joint for about a year and a half biding my time for the 'new warehouse' to open. They were sad to see me leave, but I've been in the same warehouse office job for 11+ years now. I'm respected, and they like that I do the job well.

• Prior to that I did what a lot of kids did, shoveled driveways in the winter and mowed yards in the summer. I also delivered newspapers for my friend when he was on vacations. Didn't like that so much and the pay was a joke.

• First "job" was helping my uncles in their shops during summer. All of them are mechanics or do body work.
    So, I assisted wet sanding, washing carburetors, sweep, pick up the tools al that fun stuff.
    First paycheck job was as store clerk in a place that had video game stations (CRT TV with a Play Station, or Xbox or Game Cube or N64). So making sure the kids would not break anything and handling over the counter sales.

• Delivering the news paper was first. Road with the kid and his dad on Christmas Eve. Seeing all the bonus tip money, I was hooked. Then I started doing the route, man, what a fucking PITA!! I did last about 9-10 months, but nope, never made it to the Christmas Eve bonuses.
    First "real" job I was probably 17-18, working at a window and door factory. Honestly don't remember how long I worked there, maybe 4-5 months? ...lot of smoke in the air back then.

• My first “real” job was working at a gas station when I was in high school. This was back when you’d run out to the car, pump the gas, clean the windshield and check the oil. Back in the day!

I’ll always remember the first time I helped out in the shop. The boss handed me an impact wrench and told me to remove some lug nuts. I went at it not realizing the impact wrench was set to tighten. I was horrified when the lug eventually snapped off. I was sure I was going to get yelled at or even fired. The boss comes over, looks at the car and says “That car belongs to Tex. He’s a drunk and will never notice. So don’t worry about it.” And so I learned my first lesson about trusting businesses.

a4eaudio
  • First job was a morning paper route when I was in 7th grade, delivering by bicycle to more than 60 customers before school. Learned a lot because I had to collect cash from customers by door knocking and face-to-face with adults. Took me 6 months to realize the best way to deal with the deadbeats was to cancel their subscriptions. 2nd job began at age 13 working for my dad who was a painting contractor. Earned at least double than all of my friends all the way through college. 90% of his business was new residential or commercial construction so I learned some skills and found out that there is no work ethic higher than a family business. He didn’t take a sick day for more than 20 years until an injury kept him out for one day!

• At 16, my first paid job was driving a Hamachek Pea Combine + Tractor for the local canning factory. This was a temporary early summer job that lasted only about 3 weeks during the "pea" season. Paid minimum wage < $2/hr. I was part of a 10 person "Pea Pack" of tractor/combine, cutters, bunch boy, etc., crews going from field to field harvesting peas. The factory had three "Pea Packs" and a total of 18 tractor/combines in the field. They told us that the Tractor + Combine weighed somewhere in the vicinity of 20 tons. Incredible that they hired 16 year olds to drive 20 ton rigs! These things were about the size of an 18 wheeler! But that is what they did! Wide open throttle was 20mph on the highway going from field to field. One day, the driver in the pack right behind me lost control on a narrow road and jack-knifed his entire rig into a swampy ditch. No one was hurt, but the canning factory had to hire a crane to pull the combine out of the ditch!

• Value, thank you all for sharing your experiences!

Geoff

• Spent most of today cutting, coloring, and polishing the Kia. Took more than a few beers to git er done, too.

tajanes
    I have a signature.
  • edited April 2023

me 2, well the beers anyway...
    (they don't call it mud season for nuttin)

jr@mac
  • My first job was flipping burgers and making fries (chips for Geoff) at Wendy's when I was in high school - $3.65 an hour.