Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• As a kid I was farmed out to uncle's working summers on the farm. One summer I was paid with the money from the sale of a steer. My first paycheck job was a part time job cleaning a fabric store in high school. I moved up to waiting tables in the local pizza place. I think I made $.70 an hour. Summers during school years were spent at a number of jobs. I rouged hybrid corn fields, helped build concrete grain elevators (dangerous stuff) and bridges. After college I spent a year building houses and spent a short time in a mass mailing company. The mail stuffing job was interesting. Once they found out I knew about electricity they trained me to maintain the inserting machines. Publishing Clearing House was a client and the whole factory ran 24 hours a day for months. I ended up spending 19 years at a hydrostatic transmission factory doing a variety of jobs. Eventually I got out of the factory and into IT and retired from a community college as a Senior Network Systems Analyst.

I used to maintain this automated machine center. The hydraulics industry requires very tight tolerance measured in thousandth of inches.

Ron

R-Carpenter
  • 1st job. Summer, working as a janitor at our local high school. Then on to a grocery store making $3.50/hr as a bagger.

• My very first job was mowing lawns for elderly neighbors. In high school I flipped burgers and baked biscuits (at 6AM!) at a Hardees for a little over a year. I had a stint on the stage crew at Hancher Auditorium in college and then ran sound nearly every weekend while also working at a local music store. I continued running sound for the next few decades with a few years off here and there as I worked my way up at the local CBS affiliate. Wish I could get all that lost sleep back.

6thplanetjr@mac
  • I grew up on a farm, so I've been working for as long as I can remember. I also have no memory of learning to drive, I was on a tractor by 4 and moving grain trucks by 5 or 6. can't wait for retirement. lol

jr@mac
  • I learned how to drive on a Toyota Corolla ca. 1978 model. I was 6 or 7 years old. We had a big yard and my old man built a rake he pulled behind and let us kids bomb around the yard. Only had a few close calls. A few years later he cut most of the sheet metal off of it and made it in to what we called "the dune buggy". Good times.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • That's hilarious, JR! I should have done that to my 72 Corolla when I was in HS. 4 speed and all of 1200CC's. My dad bought it new. It was already rusting away by my senior year.

jr@mac
  • So as I sit here at O'Hare waiting for my flight to be ready I realized I forgot my earbuds at home. So I bought a cheap pair (cheap for an airport, that is) of wireless Sony on-ears. They are not very good. I wasn't expecting them to be great by any stretch - but I was expecting somewhat better performance out of them.

Anyways I have tunes for the flight.

I have a signature.
  • Bummer would have given you my extra pair of JBL's had I known you needed them. I didn't need them but packed the JBL and AKGs for the trip. Hope the rest of the trip is smooth and safe.

• Yep, home safe now.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • kenrhodeshifisideSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • It is comic book day. Go find your local comic book shop and have a good read.

6thplanetjr@mac
  • Was never much into comic books as a kid, except CARtoons, anyone else dig this mag? I picked a subscription back up a few years ago. I still have a few I saved from back in the day.

jr@macugly_woofer

• Guess this the real deal down under.

6thplanetkenrhodesjr@mactajanesGeoffMillarugly_wooferSteve_Lee
  • edited May 2023

Value, I've never used it but love the product name!

My favourite use of the word was in a road test of a "Hino Contessa", an awful 1960s Japanese copy of a Renault 10: the reviewer simply said "the bastard tried to kill me nine times"

Geoff

jholtz
  • Pretty sure I've never seen a post on here about this before but I just finished "weathering" a board with the white vinegar and steel wool process. Wow! Looks like it's been on the side of a barn for 100 years =)

jhollanderDrewsBrews
  • I can share some details and pictures after my wife's birthday later this month ;)

• Welp, up at 4AM to get the smoker rolling for a pork shoulder. It is the wifes birthday today, also. Making her a special lunch.

I am also finishing up "The Pacific" - finally got around to it on my list. Pretty intense stuff.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Happy birthday to Amanda.

jr@mac
  • edited May 2023

@PWRRYD said:
    Pretty sure I've never seen a post on here about this before but I just finished "weathering" a board with the white vinegar and steel wool process. Wow! Looks like it's been on the side of a barn for 100 years =)

aah yes a Vinegroon. Turns tannins black. Can pretty much turn red oak to ebony black depending on the concentration. Woods with less tannin like pine end up with a more grey weathered effect.

The Varathane reactive stain I have used a few times probably has some in it.

jr@mac
  • edited May 2023

I have always wanted a chiminea. But hot pottery here in Ohio isn't going to last long. So last year I had the bright idea to do something with an old 20lb propane tank that was left behind when I bought our house...

Works well.. too well actually. I had to install a damper in the stove pipe to not burn whatever I put in there in less than 5 minutes. It is fun to use, but small. I ended up cutting a bunch of wood into little 10" chunks specifically for it.

This weekend I was over at a my Aunt's place in Indiana. Someone was tossing a huge water surge tank that rusted through enough in a spot to leak. I'd guess roughly 2ft wide, 3ft tall. Must have been for a multi family unit. I totally rolled that thing down the street to her garage. Next trip taking the truck.

6thplanetjr@macjhollander
  • Doing a rework/refinish on the Monuments. Wasn't happy with the "peripheral port" I tried to implement on this. So more traditional port out the bottom, a refinish with Waterlox (was just Tung oil), and the inlay it never got. The inlay is guitar pickguard material, "black pearloid".

jr@mackenrhodeshifisidePWRRYDsilverDugly_woofertajanesTurn2Ron_ESilver1omoand 5 others.
  • The inlay has a got a really cool pattern/look! how big do you get that material in?

• Grinnell got hit by baseball size hail last weekend. The worst of the damage was to motels on the south edge of town where we used to stay when DIY Iowa was held there. Some of the hail went through the roof of the Walmart.

https://kcci.com/article/iowa-grinnell-hailstorm-damage/43830051

https://kcci.com/article/iowa-grinnell-hail-crashes-through-walmart-ceiling/43831272

6thplanet
  • @ani_101 said:
    The inlay has a got a really cool pattern/look! how big do you get that material in?

This is what I bought, but it is available in larger/thicker sizes. Just search pickguard material. I think you can also get really large sheets for wrapping drum shells.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/284467530268?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pXmSRZEXRG-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p4BEQHmBQEe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

ani_101
  • Just got home from a 2 day trials motorcycle training course - was good to try and fix some of those bad habits one can develop over time B)

Silver1omoPWRRYDtajanesjr@mackenrhodesugly_woofer6thplanet
  • Ah, to be young and foolish carefree... just jealous, looks like quite the experience

squamishdroc
  • Great read on the myth of a clipping amplifier creating DC and burning up speakers. Something most of us have been told and took for granted.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/are-underpowered-amplifiers-more-dangerous-to-loudspeakers-a-fresh-look-at-conventional-wisdom/

• @6thplanet said:
    Great read on the myth of a clipping amplifier creating DC and burning up speakers. Something most of us have been told and took for granted.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/are-underpowered-amplifiers-more-dangerous-to-loudspeakers-a-fresh-look-at-conventional-wisdom/

That myth is propagated heavily in the car audio world, and I admit I bought into it for many years. Now I don't care whether it is true or not (outside of my natural inquisitiveness in to how things work) since I just don't listen to music at levels that will drive my amps in to clipping. I probably rarely drive the big Dreadnaught to the point it switches out of pure class A.

Great article!

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • Worlds loudest bird hits 125db.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JQlxGDNc2c8