Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• And a .22 bullet breaks the sound barrier. 😜

• So I have a new phone - Pixel 7 Pro. I am going to sell my DSLR since my phone now does 90% what my DSLR does.

I may post a classified here if anyone is looking for a nice Nikon.

I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

Any other fish keepers here or am I the only weirdo?

I've had a few saltwater tanks. Still have a a 30gal cube in storage that I back drilled. Waiting for home rehab projects to open up some more space.

Last year we decided to try planted fresh water. A little 10ish gallon open top for a Betta, 7 corydoras habrosus, and an Apple/mystery snail. Along with the tag-along trumpet snails that I don't mind until they get too prolific. (Photo snapped in February in an "as-is" state)

I like to do tanks that I can be lax on maintenance. By this point, for this one, I just top off with filtered water and do a ~40% water change every 6ish weeks to keep trace pollutants from sneaking up on me. The plants get root tabs when they start complaining and I hack them back when they grow too much. I should probably look into dosing calcium for the snail since I've been culling some of the trumpet snails.

6thplanetkenrhodesugly_wooferS7910
  • edited May 2023

Fish tanks rule - I used to have to clean a 50 gallon unit as a kid.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Any other fish keepers here or am I the only weirdo?

I've had a few saltwater tanks. Still have a a 30gal cube in storage that I back drilled. Waiting for home rehab projects to open up some more space.

Last year we decided to try planted fresh water. A little 10ish gallon open top for a Betta, 7 corydoras habrosus, and an Apple/mystery snail. Along with the tag-along trumpet snails that I don't mind until they get too prolific. (Photo snapped in February in an "as-is" state)

I like to do tanks that I can be lax on maintenance. By this point, for this one, I just top off with filtered water and do a ~40% water change every 6ish weeks to keep trace pollutants from sneaking up on me. The plants get root tabs when they start complaining and I hack them back when they grow too much. I should probably look into dosing calcium for the snail since I've been culling some of the trumpet snails.

I've done salty's on and off for about 25 years. Right now I have a 75 gallon tank that was started about three months ago, upgraded from a 35G that I had for three years. It has a long way to go but with patience it'll be a pretty nice unit. My goal is to create a tank that requires minimal maintenance too - once a week, besides feedings.

• We have an aquatic turtle.

I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

@MartyH said:
    I've done salty's on and off for about 25 years. Right now I have a 75 gallon tank that was started about three months ago, upgraded from a 35G that I had for three years. It has a long way to go but with patience it'll be a pretty nice unit. My goal is to create a tank that requires minimal maintenance too - once a week, besides feedings.

For my style of salt tank (community fish, inverts and some softy coral) I swear by a back drilled tank with a a good amount of live rock and a refugium sump. Drilling the tank gets rid of the obnoxious over the rim overflows that are always getting airlock. Sump really only needs to hold Chaetomorpha and a potent light to grow it. The live rock and sand handles the front end of the cycle and the Chaeto handles nutrient export. This really lets me extend water change intervals. And even then, the water change would seem to upset the balance a bit.

The worst of it was making the LFS trips for RO topoff water, lugging around the full 5gal buckets and storing it. Might look into a small RO setup if/when I set this up again.

• My Betta of 2.5 years just went belly up last week. Will get another one once I am back from my long vacation, sometime in fall. Really easy and low maintenance and simple tank too.

I tried live plants, but just got algae, the plants never took off and the liquid fertilizer just got more algae...

• edited May 2023

This is my first planted tank. Actually my first freshwater tank since I was a kid. I suppose all the research and experience with salt water geared me up reasonably well to transition over.

Most plants that get rooted in the substrate need fertilizer tablets that you periodically push into the substrate. They probably suck out some from the water column that the roots have access to but it is not enough for the plant. I just watch for the leaves to start getting holes or not looking so nice. Then I know it is time to put some "root tabs" in. Other plants that don't root in the substrate like Anubias and especially floaters will exclusively feed from the water column.

Maybe try some floaters like frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, red root floaters etc. My betta seemed to enjoy resting amongst the fluffy roots of dwarf water lettuce. It multiplied quickly before started to have a dieoff. I didn't mind it going since the other plants started taking off anyway.

I control algae by reducing the time the tank light is on. Currently about 6hrs/day. I just put it on one of those $5 plug timers so no need to remember. The plants also shade a good portion of the tank. What little algae that does come is pretty well handled by the trumpet snails.. hense I don't really mind them, while most consider them a pest. The mystery snail probably does something, but it is just one and snails aren't too smart. Need the power of numbers for them to really get anything done.

• For my style of salt tank (community fish, inverts and some softy coral) I swear by a back drilled tank with a a good amount of live rock and a refugium sump. Drilling the tank gets rid of the obnoxious over the rim overflows that are always getting airlock. Sump really only needs to hold Chaetomorpha and a potent light to grow it. The live rock and sand handles the front end of the cycle and the Chaeto handles nutrient export. This really lets me extend water change intervals. And even then, the water change would seem to upset the balance a bit.

The worst of it was making the LFS trips for RO topoff water, lugging around the full 5gal buckets and storing it. Might look into a small RO setup if/when I set this up again.

Get the RO system - you will never regret it! And I use the 'obnoxious' box; the lighting is managed in a way that you never notice it, and it works perfectly. I've never had an airlock, even from power outages.

• This subject came up in another forum I follow: what was the first song you downloaded?

For me it was Bittersweet Symphony in 200...1? I was running WinXP and using WinMX and listening using WinAMP. Wow, what a WINner lol. Ba Dum Tiss.

hifiside
    I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

@jr@mac said:
    This subject came up in another forum I follow: what was the first song you downloaded?

For me it was Bittersweet Symphony in 200...1? I was running WinXP and using WinMX and listening using WinAMP. Wow, what a WINner lol. Ba Dum Tiss.

I'm positive it was before Y2K (or very early 2000 based on the history of Napster for Mac) and I imagine Napster was involved, since the iTunes store didn't open until '03. Beyond that, I'm not sure my forensic computer skills are that good and my memory surely is not.

• Downloading songs? What's that?

6thplanet
  • I never got into the downloading of music. If I wanted it, I bought it, loved hitting used stores.
    I did have a buddy that was big into the Napster thing and as he was showing me all the music he had, I noticed a band called The Atomic Bitchwax. I immediately asked to play it, was blown away, and he burnt a disk. They are still one of my top 5 bands today.

• I've never been into DLing music much either. I did DL a high-res Norah Jones from one of the online vendors as a door prize from a Chicago DIY once. I DLed a few freebies from bandcamp of artists I follow. I have kept the digital DL for what I've ordered that came with one. In total, I bet I have not even cleared 50 album downloads. For sure, it's more than 20, and likely mostly since 2016.

• @jr@mac said:
    So I have a new phone - Pixel 7 Pro. I am going to sell my DSLR since my phone now does 90% what my DSLR does.

Looks like you picked up one of the best ones out there. It is amazing how sharp a picture you can take with some of the latest high end cell phones. I may soon retire my DSLR as well.

• @Turn2 said:
    I'm positive it was before Y2K (or very early 2000 based on the history of Napster for Mac) and I imagine Napster was involved, since the iTunes store didn't open until '03. Beyond that, I'm not sure my forensic computer skills are that good and my memory surely is not.

Man that takes me back to high school when everyone would use the school T1 to download crap off Napster.

Ed_Perkins
  • @4thtry said:

@jr@mac said:
    So I have a new phone - Pixel 7 Pro. I am going to sell my DSLR since my phone now does 90% what my DSLR does.

Looks like you picked up one of the best ones out there. It is amazing how sharp a picture you can take with some of the latest high end cell phones. I may soon retire my DSLR as well.

Camera quality drove my decision making.

I have a signature.
  • Decent macro capabilities.

Steve_Lee4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • great pic (and 3 out of 4 ain't bad- ha)

• I got a Pixel 5a a little more than a year ago when they were closing them out for $480. Almost all of the pictures I post now are taken with it.

Steve_Leeugly_woofer4thtry
  • edited May 2023

Camera phones have come a long way - but tough to compete with high quality lens / DSLR. But those don't easy slip into one’s pocket.

Still I miss my Kodachrome, and the smell of the dark room.

Steve_Lee
  • edited May 2023

iPhone 14

6thplanet4thtrySteve_LeeKornbread
  • Mmmmmm . . . . Birch trees . . . .

• edited May 2023

Birch trees around me tend to have thicker trunks or fork and snake around instead of being so straight. Then those stark dark spots on the white.. Thinking more white aspen maybe?

Steve_Lee
  • I haven't actually seen a northern Birch tree since my trip to Alaska around 1999 . . . I can stand to be corrected.

• Aspens

Steve_Lee
  • Since this is the "off topic" thread... any of you guys have a swimming pool for the family? We've had ours for 5 years now. Being a DIY guy (read cheap skate) I made my own solar heating panels. I opened our pool this last Saturday. Water temp was 58 F after topping it off. Just got home from work today and it is already 68 F. Hoping for high 70's this coming Memorial Day weekend. The kids will swim whatever the temp is but Mamma and I need at least 78 lol

tajanes
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Since this is the "off topic" thread... any of you guys have a swimming pool for the family? We've had ours for 5 years now. Being a DIY guy (read cheap skate) I made my own solar heating panels. I opened our pool this last Saturday. Water temp was 58 F after topping it off. Just got home from work today and it is already 68 F. Hoping for high 70's this coming Memorial Day weekend. The kids will swim whatever the temp is but Mamma and I need at least 78 lol

Yep.

tajanes
  • Started a landscaping project today. That kind of blows ass.

I have a signature.