Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    Ron, I thought you were retired. :) That's a full time job!

Some people didn't get the memo.

kenrhodesSilver1omo
  • edited June 2023

Probably an odd question here, but it is very difficult to search for this specific situation. Figured I'd ask in case anyone might have any experience.

Looking to redo the roof over my non-enclosed deck... as it is leaky and the skirting was done completely wrong, no gutters but needs it, etc. It is currently open to the rafters and sheathing underneath. I'm interested to install tongue and groove to cover the underside of the roof. Would an uninsulated roof for an exterior space need venting? Shouldn't have much issue with condensation due to temperature gradient, but I figure some moisture buildup is inevitable and potential for heat buildup too. In theory the tongue and groove won't create a perfect seal between each plank, but I know that isn't something to rely on. Maybe just install some soffit vents underneath near the bottom and peak of the roof for each rafter bay?

• What type of roof?

• edited June 2023

@Kornbread said:
    What type of roof?

Shed/Lean-to type that terminates the peak at the house exterior wall underneath and separate from the house roof. Relatively low slope and shingled.. Probably main culprit for the leaks as it slopes towards the south and wind primarily comes from south west to blow up under the shingles. I'll likely redo with a self adhesive underlayment and roll roofing instead.

Can see it off to the left in a pic I posted on the 11th. Or just click here https://i.imgur.com/nt9TRwg.png

EDIT:
    Oah wow it is even lower slope that I thought. I measured 3.5" rise off a 2ft long level. 1.75"/foot is not great.

• Ouch! My understanding was never go below 3/12 with shingles. Maybe one giant single sheet of waterproof underlay and?

Looks like you already have gutters to keep the other roof's rain catch off the porch. Wonder if condensate off the AC unit might need to be routed away?

Anyhow, I was going to say that our porch/deck roof is tin, open on the underside, and when it frosts on the top, it frosts on the underside. When it gets warm enough for the frost to melt, it also melts on the underside and drips all over the porch.

• edited June 2023

I've already taken care of the walled-in porch below that a\c unit. There is a deck off the left side of the house in that photo. The roof over that deck is what I'm speaking of.

Sofar I'm thinking of using those soffit vents near the bottom and top of each bay to allow some semblance of air flow, unless that just won't do the job.

The roll roofing is like one continuous 3ft wide shingle. Except the entire underside is sticky bitumen that you use a roller to smash it down for max adhesion, overlaping the previous row by about 4". But first, I put down an underlayment that is similar sticky bitumen, just with a polymer type top layer instead of the grit. That is what I used on that walled in porch. Realy no chance for water to be pushed up underneath unless there is 0 slope and water can just sit there forcing it's way in.

• edited June 2023

If this isn’t enclosed no reason to vent. I’d pull the old sheathing and put down the t&g on the rafters then 1/4- 3/8 Osb, tar paper and torch down roll roofing.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited June 2023

My idea was to enclose the rafters with the t&g attached to the bottom side of the rafters. My apologies if I'm not explaining very well. I re-read my first post and can see how it was a little ambiguous as I probably misused terms.

• On vacation this coming week, just saying. Hope sawdust is in my future.

kenrhodesWolfugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • First picture :s

Second picture =)

Steve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    First picture :s

Second picture =)

First one is the dairy farm of my wife's uncle.
    Second is in Puerto Vallarta.

• How would you make milk on that ground? We're spoiled here in Michigan. Dairy farms all over.

• edited June 2023

We have a decent dairy herd here in SoDak (approximately 200,000), but a much larger beef herd. Chances are everyone in the lower 48 has eaten SoDak beef quite often. Our herd here is approximately 3,500,000, primarily Angus these days. 25 years ago it was primarily Hereford which is an underrated beef cow. There are also a large number of Charlois. Yes, they are all called cows regardless whether they are steers, cows, heifers, etc. SoDak holds the dubious distinction of having more cows per capita than any other state. We also have a large herd of 250,000 sheep, 2,000,000 hogs, and 2,500,000 turkeys. We are in the top ten in the nation for size of beef, sheep, and hog herds. Our neighbor Minnesota is by far the largest producer of turkeys and our neighbor Iowa is by far the largest producer of hogs.

To put 200,000 dairy cows in perspective, they will produce something over 4,000,000,000 (yes, billion) pounds of milk per year. That's a lot of cheese, brothers.

The plus side to all this is that every small town has a locker, and every locker has signature cheeses, processed meats (mmmm sausage) and the best cuts of beef never leave the region they were raised in so most of us will shop at these small lockers. I'm sure the situation is similar all over the country.

Moral of the story is, SoDak is heavily agricultural and most of raised in the state appreciate that.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • When I say "most of us" shop at these small lockers, I mean foodies specifically. By sheer numbers, most people buy their meats at Walmart, Hy-Vee, Aldi, etc. Hit or miss on quality in those places IMNSHO.

I have a signature.
  • I'm not supposed to tell Alabama Jokes around here because they are all true - including how bad the beef is because its all inbred and the cows have their cattlemen's eyes . . .

jr@macugly_woofer
  • edited June 2023

@kenrhodes said:
    How would you make milk on that ground? We're spoiled here in Michigan. Dairy farms

g

• edited June 2023

Speeding ticket:

In Melbourne some years ago, the Police booked a driver for doing 170 KM/h on our Westgate Bridge - in a standard Datsun (Nissan) 120Y. The lady took it to court and brought along an engineer to attest that this feat was impossible...

Geoff

Steve_LeesquamishdrocRon_Ejhollander
  • edited June 2023

Had some time this weekend and finally made a box for a computer desk sub with an open box DCs-165 that’s been sitting on a shelf for the past year. Should close it up tonight

jr@macSilver1omoSteve_LeePWRRYDkenrhodeshifisidesquamishdroc6thplanet4thtry
  • Today is a special day - it is our 25th wedding anniversary. Many of you know Mrs. JR and likely wonder how a woman like that could be married to a guy like me for this long of a period and the truth is I do not know but I am grateful every day.

We do not have any firm plans, just see what they day brings - we may pack the car and just point it in a random direction and drive until we see a hotel somewhere. It is one of our favorite things to do together.

I met her just over 30 years ago at my high school graduation open house. My younger cousin invited her with the intention of introducing her to my little brother - but she took a liking to me and the rest is history. We hit it off right away and became best friends for the first year of our relationship before we realized taking it to the next level was the natural evolution of said relationship. It was a glorious time in my life. Falling in love and the first hints of true adulthood unfolding before me.

We moved in together in 1997 after she graduated high school (yes, she is several years younger than me) in to a crappy one bedroom apartment. We have had our ups and downs, experienced poverty a few times and are currently in a comfortable position living in the home of our dreams. We have an adult child who is having her own struggles with the transition from childhood to adulthood and while it breaks our hearts we know she is going to make it.

I never thought I would make it to this point in my life and as a result tonight we are going to have a dram of this to celebrate our milestone anniversary. I thought it apropos.

As my relatives often said during my childhood as they would raise a glass of whiskey - Sláinte!

P.S. I could speak for quite some time on what it was like to be raised by second generation Irish folk - my grandparents still had the Irish brogue lurking in their accents.

ugly_woofera4eaudiotajanesEd_PerkinsTurn2Steve_LeeR-Carpenter6thplanetSilver1omokenrhodesand 3 others.
    I have a signature.
  • How to pronounce Sláinte - approximately like this: Slahn chee ah, emphasis on the first syllable.

I have a signature.
  • Congratulations you 2.

jr@mac
  • Congrats, jr! I love this! No relationship lasts that long without both partners never giving up. Glenn.

jr@mac
  • Congrats JR!!!

jr@mac
  • Well done JR and family!

We celebrated our 30th Anniversary this year, and it was my wife who got me into speaker building one Christmas.

Geoff

jr@mac6thplanetugly_wooferSteve_LeetajanesPWRRYD
  • Congrats man!
    I got married later in life so just celebrated our 5 year a couple years ago. but been together over 10.

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • @jr@mac said:
    Today is a special day - it is our 25th wedding anniversary.(https://diy.midwestaudio.club/uploads/editor/9c/biurf0h4ijj0.jpg "")

As my relatives often said during my childhood as they would raise a glass of whiskey - Sláinte!

P.S. I could speak for quite some time on what it was like to be raised by second generation Irish folk - my grandparents still had the Irish brogue lurking in their accents.

Congrats! 25 years is something special. And Laphroaig - whoa that is some serious peat-y
    stuff!

• @Colonel7 said:

@jr@mac said:
    Today is a special day - it is our 25th wedding anniversary.(https://diy.midwestaudio.club/uploads/editor/9c/biurf0h4ijj0.jpg "")

Congrats! 25 years is something special. And Laphroaig - whoa that is some serious peat-y
    stuff!

Yes, we love the Islay Scotch here.

I have a signature.

• ugly_wooferSteve_LeeColonel7tajaneskenrhodes6thplanetjhollanderhifiside4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Wife and I hit 20 years last month. Props to all y'all!

Steve_Leejr@macColonel76thplanetjhollanderDrummerGeoffMillarS79104thtry