Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Now that's a cool cafe style bike! What did that start out as?

• edited July 2023

Looks like a KZ of some sort. The engines of all the different displacement look pretty much the same so hard to tell. Makes me wonder if they all used the same block just different bore/stroke.

My Vstrom and another buddy's cb500x at the old Peters Cartridge factory building.

Drummer
  • A stock 1978 Kawasaki KZ650, with spoked wheels. The mags and front end are from an Ltd. I cut the rear section of the frame off, and had a buddy bend new tube and slugs. then every useless mounting tab was cut and ground. The number plates are recycled sheet metal from a retail shelving unit, and the rear cowl is cut and widened from an old Yamaha tank. The inside is carpeted with an industrial velcro attachment on the back of the seat pad. I shot it with airborne base paint, and cleared with a catalyzed urethane with matte flattener added. It's a blast to take out and rip the twisties on!

• Tom, those FJRs are killer machines! Comfortable and great motors! I can't allow myself bikes with that much go on the twisty Mcfun meter.( throttle) 😁 I had to make a no more sport bikes, or hp machines, because I have far more balls than common sense. Those bikes make me go much faster than I need to. Beautiful bike.
    Drew, that's a great picture! Glenn.

• @Turn2 said:
    ... but me and 'Merica have a birthday tomorrow,

Ha, me too!

kenrhodesTurn2
  • edited July 2023

@Drummer said:
    Happy birthday, Turn2! I need to get back to taking my mountain bike out. In my 20's I was obsessed with it, then marriage and kids came along. I was in the best shape of my life when I rode 5 days a week. That's a great looking bike. Is it a city/ road hybrid? Glenn.

Thanks, man. These days I think you'd call it a straight bar gravel bike. It can basically go most places where the grade isn't real steep. 30cc tires and around 21 lbs. total, so pretty capable without being race ready. Around here (DSM area) there are plenty of paved and crushed limestone trails.

• @Drummer said:
    Tom, those FJRs are killer machines! Comfortable and great motors! I can't allow myself bikes with that much go on the twisty Mcfun meter.( throttle) 😁 I had to make a no more sport bikes, or hp machines, because I have far more balls than common sense. Those bikes make me go much faster than I need to. Beautiful bike.
    Drew, that's a great picture! Glenn.

I know what you mean. I've become a little addicted to the torque on demand, so I have to leave it in touring mode to keep myself out of trouble! I still have my V-Star 1100, but it feels so strange now with the forward controls and wider bars. It's still fun, but I should probably sell it and pick up a nice used standard/naked bike. I like the look of the Vstroms. Never ridden one, but that might be ideal for my 10 minute commute in town. I just like trying different bikes! ;)

• @Drummer said:

I can't allow myself bikes with that much go on the twisty Mcfun meter.( throttle) 😁 I had to make a no more sport bikes, or hp machines, because I have far more balls than common sense.

As the saying goes "Wide open until you see God......then brake".

Drummer
  • Everything was going great... until it wasn't.

Drummer
  • @ugly_woofer said:

@Drummer said:

As the saying goes "Wide open until you see God......then brake".

It's hard to brake in time when your going 170+ mph. Even harder when you're going nearly 200. This happened recently in central IA.

https://kcci.com/article/iowa-kcci-investigates-deputies-release-video-in-deadly-multi-county-chase-and-crash/44348505

• edited July 2023

My first slightly quick car taught me you gotta plan out way ahead even before you put your foot down. Probably kept me from injury on 2 wheels.

I imagine some highway turns are dicey to get around going that fast. Isle of man TT proves that even the best of the best pay the price sometimes. Average joe with a speed addiction? Pretty much guaranteed dog meat when trying to go 10/10 at those speeds.

Drummer
  • My old truck has many ponies, of which I rarely tap in to. 50 year old brake tech is not congruent with 350+ HP

Steve_LeeDrummer
    I have a signature.
  • It sure seems like people are driving at insane speeds since Covid. Lots of reports around here of idiots running from the police. Most do not end well. These wannabe NASCAR dumb-flocks didn't get the memo that cops are actually trained in high speed pursuit.

• Speaking of which, has anyone seen the new "grappler" tool that some LEO are using? Pretty awesome!

• The worst thing about the people that run from the cops, is always the innocent potential victims of their stupidity. I think that it's insane that anyone without having to prove that they can ride worth a shit, can go ride away on what was a gp bike 10/15 years ago. I'm amazed at a great number of riders that have state issued licenses, that can barely keep a bike up, and have god awful machine control. If I didn't love riding so much, I would have traded it in for 4 wheels and a convertible, but it appears that I'm going to be a lifer. Glenn

• That Grappler invention is really cool! Genius idea that will save lives.

• edited July 2023

Not to say I haven't gone down before... Early on learning to carve, in one turn there was a rottweiler sitting right at the edge of the grass and road. I was paying too much attention to it. I lifted off the front brake to initiate the turn, but forgot my foot was still on the rear brake a bit. Rear slid out and sparks flew. I think the dog was still sitting there staring at me when I got up lol. I was fine since I'm ATGATT. I rode the bike home, but it definitely needed some love.

Drummer
  • Finally caught lightning.

hifisideJasonPSteve_LeeDrummerugly_wooferkenrhodes6thplanetS7910Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • Vacation time. Hot and humid Florida for a family reunion.

jr@macSteve_LeeDrummerJasonPugly_wooferKornbreadhifisidekenrhodes6thplanettajanes
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Gulf side?

• Going back to the earlier discussion regarding not needing all the power on hand... I've been seriously thinking about taking my Mustang a few steps back.
    Back to being a little more street friendly. It's just sitting in my garage collecting dust right now. I don't need the full 12 point roll cage if I plan to only run 10's instead of 8's. The basic 6 point roll bar will do. The light weight drag brakes and skinny tires up front aren't needed anymore either. It would be nice to have decent size meat on all four corners and good stopping power. Maybe someday in the future throw a T56 gearbox back in it. It's always fun banging gears. We'll see...

ugly_wooferhifisideDrummer6thplanet
  • I miss my 5speed. Gotta get other projects out of the way so I can drop in the replacement engine.

• Happy 4th all! Just got back to CA from a 3 night run of Dead and Company in Boulder. All three shows stellar, but last night they put on a drone show - mind blowing. Oh, and Dave Matthews joined the band for the last four songs of the night. “All along the watchtower” “not fade away” ‘knocking on heavens door” and “The Weight”. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Dead+and+company+drone+show&&view=detail&mid=4ADB344CBC01A8AFF1B54ADB344CBC01A8AFF1B5&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=Dead+and+company+drone+show&FORM=HDRSC4

6thplanetPWRRYDhifiside
  • Atlantic side near Dearfield beach

PWRRYDhifiside
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Do people have a 'perfect' film(s)?

Nothing is really perfect of course, but there are some I keep going back to due to their sheer quality - here are five of mine:

• The Blues Brothers;
    • O Lucky Man! (1973, great soundtrack too);
    • 12 O'Clock High;
    • The Lives of Others; and
    • The Great Race

Geoff

• Just off of the top of my head:
    American Beauty
    Fight Club
    The Godfather
    Misery
    There's Something About Mary
    Glenn

• edited July 2023

Apollo 13
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Blues Brothers
    The Last of the Mohicans
    Das Boot (English dubbed version)
    The Unforgiven

Guilty pleasures (just for fun):
    Caddy Shack
    Smokey and the Bandit
    Ford vs Ferrari
    Aliens

• edited July 2023

@GeoffMillar said:
    Do people have a 'perfect' film(s)?

My wife and I came to the realization last year that there were some great films that we had never seen. I set about compiling a list with movies rated by an average of 3 different services, viewers and critics. Long story shorter, we came up with a ranking system and list of the top-ranked movies since 1960 and began (re)watching them all. We still have about a dozen to go, but here's our top 10 so far:

Schindler's List
    Gladiator
    Apocalypse Now
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Pianist
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    The Green Mile
    Chinatown
    Pulp Fiction
    12 Years a Slave

Once we rewatch The Shawshank Redemption I'm sure it will shoot into the top two or 3. One thing we noticed is that some older movies show their age quite gracefully, while others, especially westerns, not so much (Unforgiven is an exception). Especially in this arena, YMMV.

• edited July 2023

@PWRRYD said:
    Apollo 13
    Where Eagles Dare
    The Blues Brothers
    The Last of the Mohicans
    Das Boot (English dubbed version)
    The Unforgiven

Guilty pleasures (just for fun):
    Caddy Shack
    Smokey and the Bandit
    Ford vs Ferrari
    Aliens

Totally forgot about The Last of The Moicans Great movie, and off course the Blues Brothers ... we have an understanding ... we're on a mission from God.

Drummer