Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• That should work perfectly. Sounds like a great time. Shoot some pics and post if you can, and a video of the band jamming, while you throw the horns and bang your head!! 🤟😝🤟Glenn

• jr@macjhollander6thplanetkenrhodesSilver1omoKornbreadhifisideDrummera4eaudiougly_wooferand 4 others.
  • Yes 11.

• edited July 2023

@Drummer said:
    That should work perfectly. Sounds like a great time. Shoot some pics and post if you can, and a video of the band jamming, while you throw the horns and bang your head!! 🤟😝🤟Glenn

The rain ended up coming early morning instead of evening so I scratched the idea and returned the supplies. But now I know what is needed if it comes to it in the future.
    https://lastcallohio.com/
    Classic rock type stuff. I tried to upload a quick vid, but the audio didn't come over. Oah well
    (https://i.imgur.com/j6G0CeY.mp4)

They are trying to get another local band "Mad Hatter" at some point too. Though, they are a bit more in demand so don't know the likelihood of them showing up for a backyard party. And heck even the classic rock had all the local cops hanging around the neighborhood lol.

Steve_LeeDrummer
  • I can't really remember it, but dad and his brother took me to the 1958 Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park, Melbourne.

250F Maserati, Cooper-Climax, Ferraris, Lotus- Climax, Maserati 300S, etc. Great cars, great drivers including Moss, Brabham and Stan Jones (father of 1980 F1 champ Alan Jones).

Luckily, they took excellent photos of the event: safety precautions were limited to a few hay bales on the corners!

Many years later we went to Sandown racetrack to see Fangio race the 'Silver Arrow' against Brabham in his BT20, magic stuff. There were other drivers and cars but the crowd only had eyes and ears for those two. Fangio was doing four wheel drifts around the corners!

Geoff

6thplanetSteve_LeetajanesPWRRYD
  • That's awesome!

• Here's the link to the Fangio/Brabham race, if people would like an optic:

This followed the Australian Grand Prix Formula 5000 race: great sounds from the Lolas, McLarens and Matiches with their Chev, Holden and Leyland V8s, but the race itself was a bit boring. Many retirements.

Geoff

PWRRYD6thplanetDrummerColonel7
  • In a time when real men raced...

PWRRYDjhollanderDrummerSteve_Leekenrhodes

• Custom leathers to fit the size of those balls! You guys are making me want to go fast! Glenn

6thplanetGeoffMillarSteve_LeeDrewsBrews
  • edited July 2023

Nope. No. Not happening.

Drifting a dirt bike on hard pack clay at slow'ish speeds. Jumping a 90' quad. ok. Drifting both wheels of a 300+ pound, probably 150+hp, bike over 100+mph into, through, and exiting the corner and on streets never intended to be a racetrack ... skrew that!

PWRRYDDrummerSteve_LeeGeoffMillar
  • When you look at any era of the TT, the speeds and danger are quite frightening; that top speed dash down Brae Hill is just one of the horror stretches. And as for the lunatics on sidecars.....

I have LP documentaries about many of the late 50s/early 60s TTs, complete with great bike sounds and rider interviews, all narrated by the late Murray Walker.

The great Mike Hailwood once won the 125, 250 and 500cc races in the same year!

Geoff

Drummer
  • edited August 2023

My experience: Basically you scare the crap out of yourself until the adrenal glands start pumpin. Then time slows and vision narrows until the only thing that exists anymore is what is coming into view and calculating what is likely ahead of that. No more conscious thought, your personality shuts off. You brain becomes a black hole sucking in as much existence as fast as possible. Your eyes, ears and touch are directly connected to the needed muscles. By that point it just comes down to how well you have trained as it is pretty much muscle memory completely taking over to control the bike. It is quite the experience.

Those guys in the TT race have not only honed that muscle memory to perfection, but I believe they have also mastered the skill of adrenaline control. Bringing their mind and body right to the bleeding edge of capability. Max breathing to support max blood flow to support max reflexes. Too much adrenaline and your body starts to shut down as it tries pushing your body past physical limits. You can only breath so hard. Your heart can only pump so fast. Folks familiar to real world combat call this the black zone I believe. It can put you straight into physiological shock. And that is why they gotta be hella healthy and in shape to reach those levels. Otherwise they black out or have a heart attack at 200+mph.

DrummerSteve_Lee
  • https://www.troublesomefest.com/
    Any of you that are in the Denver area, I'll be playing this festival date with the Rebekah Meldrum band. It's a couple hours from Denver. Mountain jams and legal doobies! If any of you should end up there, hunt me down, introduce yourselves, and say hello. Glenn.

Steve_Lee
  • edited August 2023

In case any of you are lucky enough to meet me, here is a little on how to communicate with a SoDak.

(Note: most of this applies only to my side of the state).

Would, Could, Should are all pronounced like "wood". Roof is pronounced the same way as hoof.

Aintcha is a word, as in "lucky SOB, aintcha?"

Didja is "did you" as in "Didja eat yet?" Also shortened to "Jaeatyet?" or even further to "jeetyet?"

There are no G's at the end of words as in "talkin, walkin" etc. Speaking of, those words are pronounced "tockin" and "wockin".

"You betcha" is an accepted answer to questions.

"Oofdah" is a minor expletive.

Imanagotodastore = "I am going to go to the store." Jawannagowith? = "Would you like to accompany me?"

It is a drinking fountain.

Creek is pronounced "crick". There are no streams in SoDak - there are only rivers and cricks. If someone from SoDak mentions "the river", though - they are referring to the Missouri River. We never call it by name. Ever. Similarly, if someone says "the hills" - they are referring to the Black Hills. We never say "Black Hills". Ever. We generally drop the "river" or "creek" when referring to these - as in "The Sioux" (formally known as The Big Sioux River) and "The Jim" (formally known as the James River).

There are two distinct geographical areas in SoDak - East River and West River. We prounounce them "Eas Triver and Wes Triver".

They are mountain lions, not cougars or pumas. If you live east of SoDak and there is a mountain lion sighting it is very high probability it came from our state. You are welcome.

If you are on the phone with a SoDak and that person says "Anyways" - it is time to end the call. If you do not end the call, you will get the classic midwestern passive aggressive "I'm gonna have ta letcha go". If you do not offer to end the phone call at that time, odds are it will be the last time for a while before a phone conversation happens again. We would rather talk in person than on the phone.

Hot dishes are made on the stove, casseroles are made in the oven. We grill out - not barbecue. Chislic is a delicacy.

"Beers in da fridge" is a perfectly acceptable greeting when someone shows up at your door. It is expected to show up with at least a six pack. We drink a lot of cheap beer in this area.

If someone says "I reckon" during a visit, they are indicating they wish to leave but we are too passive aggressive to say it outright. It then becomes incumbent on the host to end the visit, usually in a typically passive aggressive fashion such as "well, I suppose".

Sposeta is a word, it means "supposed to". Goda is a word, it means "go to". Shoulda, coulda, woulda are all words. Remember, we do not pronounce the L in those words. Dintcha is a word, it means "Didn't you". Woodencha is a word, it means "Wouldn't you". You get the picture.

Probly = probably

There are a lot more, of course, this is just somethin I come up with off da top of my head.

Oh - accordin to many, we tock very fast. Combine dat with are accent, and it can be hard to understand what I'm sayin, doncha know?

tajaneshifisideugly_wooferDrummerSteve_LeeTurn2Wolfsquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • edited August 2023

@jr@mac said:
    There are no G's at the end of words as in "talkin, walkin" etc. Speaking of, those words are pronounced "tockin" and "wockin".

I think you meant "speakin' of".
    :)

Steve_Lee
  • Grew up a little north of you. Born in Fargo, grew up on the other side of the river in Moorhead. Besides some of the geographical references, most of this is very familiar language to me and brings back a lot of memories.

• Used oofdah at least three times this week. Dont forget Jeebus

• Oh yeah, Fargo up North there.

I have a signature.
  • Can't believe I forgot - it is always up North, down South, out West, and back East.

So if someone says "take 29 up to Brookings than back to Lake Hendricks." keep that in mind.

I have a signature.
  • edited August 2023

I worked with a couple SoDaks in Nebraska, grew up in western IA and have lived at the border with Minnesota. There are lots of Minnesotaisms that bleed into the Dakotas and vice versa, but they don't travel south that well. In Iowa, A SoDak just sounds like most any Iowan who spent the last couple of weeks binging Fargo. Those cheeseheads though, eh, well, ya know...

jr@mac
  • I’ll be west River this weekend.

• I never go west of the river....good way to get shot in Rockford!

hifiside
  • Here's one, telling time.
    Here we say til or after, referring to the top of the hour. I work with a former NewYorker that was in MN before that. She says "of", relating to the top of the hour. Which direction is that?

One I hear all of the time on TV is "tour" pronounced with 1 syllable, as "torr". This word actually has 2 syllables, and is pronounced "too-er". I brought it up to the coworker, and she acted like I was crazy for thinking that.

• I lost my sh*t in the restaurant I frequent this evening because the trailer trash attitude of a new waitress there "serving" me made me blow-up. Got introduced to the owners and his family and got a hat out of the deal as a result - they actually liked the fact that I told them how to do their job and to get on it right now.

Englishman in New York feeling being a Canadian in the rural South today . . .

You Midwesterner's around here ain't all that bad, so far . . . .

=)

• How about you'ns git now, meaning you boys need to leave my presence right this moment, usually followed by a threat of a boot in your ass. Okeydokey, meaning affirmative, will do, all good etc. Pertineer, meaning almost, close, just about, as in, that durn, or dadgum reckin ( wrecking) ball pertineer clobbered his noggin! Glenn

• @Drummer said:
    How about you'ns git now, meaning you boys need to leave my presence right this moment, usually followed by a threat of a boot in your ass. Okeydokey, meaning affirmative, will do, all good etc. Pertineer, meaning almost, close, just about, as in, that durn, or dadgum reckin ( wrecking) ball pertineer clobbered his noggin! Glenn

Sounds like SoDak goes East as well. We use OkeyDokey here, anyways.

I have a signature.
  • My Mother and her side of the family were from Missouri. They always pronounced the word "Wash" with an OR instead of an A. Like "I need to do the worsh" or "I'm gonna worsh my car".

• Heh, sounds like Mel and John driving on highway 'Farty-Far'.
    'Warsh' is prevalent around here, especially in Noble County. Then again, I've heard words from my in-laws I have never heard my parents say. 'Mowdocking' means speeding apparently, and there is plenty more where that came from. Never before heard an R in 'toilet' either. Yep, it's 'torlet'. My wife likes to joke that she can't tell whether her dad says Iowa or Ohio. Almost everyone over there says 'Rule' King instead of Rural, and 'Illinoiz' instead of Illinoy. Shouldn't it be 'Illinwah' anyway, from French?