Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• edited December 2022

The evening news reported that somewhere near Denver the temp dropped 30 degrees in 10 minutes.

• @Ron_E said:
    The evening news reported that somewhere near Denver the temp dropped 30 degrees in 10 minutes.

Cheyenne was even worse:

That's according to a post on the Cheyenne National Weather Services Facebook page, According to the post, the following radical drops in temperature were recorded in the Cheyenne area:
    10 minute change: 32 degrees
    30 minute change: 39 degrees
    1 hour change: 42 degrees (new record) - previous 37 degrees
    2 hour change: 51 degrees (new record) - previous 40 degrees
    3 hour change: 55 degrees (new record) - previous 43 degrees
    15 hour change: 65 degrees (new record) - previous 64 degrees

Read More: Cheyenne Temperature Dropped 32 Degrees In 10 Minutes Wednesday | https://kgab.com/cheyenne-temperature-dropped-32-degrees-in-10-minutes-wednesday/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

jholtz
  • Was -10, real feel -45 this AM in NE Iowa. It's so cold & windy that the dog won't poop when I take him outside.

jr@mac
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    Was -10, real feel -45 this AM in NE Iowa. It's so cold & windy that the dog won't poop when I take him outside.

Would you?

Ed_Perkins
    I have a signature.
  • Record extreme temperature differences:

Greatest 2-minute temperature increase: 27 °C (49 °F), from −20 °C (−4 °F) to 7 °C (45 °F); Spearfish, South Dakota, on 22 January 1943.[201]

Fastest temperature drop: 27.2 °C (49 °F) in 5 minutes; Rapid City, South Dakota, 10 January 1911.[201]

Can't beat the great plains weather.

I have a signature.
  • edited December 2022

-8 with 45mph wind gusts this morning.

I have an appointment for a haircut at 1. Life goes on.

I have clothes for this kind of weather and a home with 6" insulated walls so we're all good. I've been in places where it doesn't normally get cold and I had to wear my coat to eat in a restaurant because they just couldn't get it any warmer. It was 30 in Brownsville Texas this morning and I guessing no one has somewhere warm. They actually put water pipes on the exterior walls in places.

Ron

• My subwoofer seems so much more efficient this morning . . .

• I try not to complain. Someone else usually has it worse.

Steve_Leeugly_woofer
  • Oh yeah, we got over 4' of snow in many places in this state and it has killed people. Winter up here is a serious thing, guys - which is why we generally don't care about people saying "its 92 in Arizona hurr durr".

/rant

Joined the Wellness Center today - time to take my body transformation to the second phase. Been too long since I was a power lifting gym rat.

I have a signature.
  • It's -30 in Canada hurr durr :p

Though, we might be a little more prepared for it since it happens every year...This year has been another wild one, from +42 to -32 C in the same year, hitting -30 is very rare where I am now, usually -20 is about as cold as it gets, though where I grew up it hits -40 nearly every year at some point. Luckily we are now through the cold snap, forecast has rain for Xmas day :)

The photo above is quite reminiscent of some of areas in BC, in some parts the street signs are mounted very high up so they can still be read in winter due to the amount of snowfall.

Stay safe and warm folks.

Steve_Lee
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • -15C in Clifton Springs NY. Not too bad. I am organizing my new space and having Lagavulin 8.

• I think we peaked at -13C yesterday with a small amount of snow that was not enough to cover the grass.
    Did not have power problems, yet...

• -8 here in Indiana for most of this morning.

• Stayed right at 1 degree in Louisville area. Lucky me😛

• Any of you guys ride electric unicycles? I've been enamored with the idea for the last year or so but don't want to pull the trigger on a $2k death trap until I talk to some one I know that's ridden one. Or preferably even sell me their used one. Nobody near me seems to ride them and the FB groups I've found and joined don't instill a lot of confidence.

• They look fun. Might be worth finding a place that rents them as a way to try before you buy.

• I tried riding a manual unicycle when I was younger, I never got it. Out of my 4 brothers only 1 was able to master it.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @kenrhodes said:
    They look fun. Might be worth finding a place that rents them as a way to try before you buy.

That's why I'm asking here - there's no place to try them unless you happen to live next to one of 2 brick and mortar stores in the US that sell them. I can't find a rental place or even a weirdo on FB locally that would let me come to his house and try it out. And honestly, anyone who would let me come over out of nowhere and ride their shit is probably a little off himself. I'm about to break my neck on one of these things and I'll have to pay through the nose to figure out if it's too much broken neck for me.

• I see a lot of people riding these onewheels at the trail. Considering how far out I've seen them on the trail they must have descent range. They do look fun.

https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-pint-x?variant=39541882716254&dfw_tracker=40188-39541882716254&nbt=nb:adwords:x:16581914383::&nb_adtype=pla&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=&nb_mi=117836983&nb_pc=online&nb_pi=39541882716254&nb_ppi=&nb_placement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAzKqdBhAnEiwAePEjkud9VUV844hJYuxuHL5Jmfv2f1GlYCGKssEt9X47MryzmK8oOOnLABoCyqEQAvD_BwE

• edited December 2022

@DanP said:
    ...And honestly, anyone who would let me come over out of nowhere and ride their shit is probably a little off himself...

Funny...and true!

• Tried it. Didn't care for onewheel at all. I do like regular road bikes.

• edited December 2022

@kenrhodes said:
    I see a lot of people riding these onewheels at the trail. Considering how far out I've seen them on the trail they must have descent range. They do look fun.

https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-pint-x?variant=39541882716254&dfw_tracker=40188-39541882716254&nbt=nb:adwords:x:16581914383::&nb_adtype=pla&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=&nb_mi=117836983&nb_pc=online&nb_pi=39541882716254&nb_ppi=&nb_placement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&gclid=CjwKCAiAzKqdBhAnEiwAePEjkud9VUV844hJYuxuHL5Jmfv2f1GlYCGKssEt9X47MryzmK8oOOnLABoCyqEQAvD_BwE

@R-Carpenter said:
    Tried it. Didn't care for onewheel at all. I do like regular road bikes.

I've seen the onewheels being ridden around my area, but I've never liked the side stance required with skateboarding and snowboarding, so I don't think I'd care for the onewheel either. This though... https://www.mykingsong.com/king-song-s18-electric-unicycle

• I prefer the treadmill or my Sorento. You one wheel guys might be a touch crazy.

DanPugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • One of the silliest and potentially deadly things I've heard of was a bloke on a skateboard carrying a baby - along a busy main road. Unbelievable, but it happened in Melbourne a few years ago.

Geoff

• Sorting through our LP collection today I found three of my dad's albums of "Sound Stories", an old British series of records about the TT races at the Isle of Man circuit narrated by the late Murray Walker. The albums include interviews, race commentary and - best of all - recordings of the various bikes charging around the track.

Legends like Mike Hailwood, John Surtees and Geoff Duke talk about the race and their bikes and the sounds are truly 'awesome': the Honda and Gilera fours, MV Agustas and so on wail their way out of the speakers.

Hailwood, of course, was the only rider to have won all three TT races at the one event, truly amazing stuff. Will digitise them, de-noise and convert them to CD so dad can annoy the neighbours!

Value!

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • Took this pic over Thanksgiving.

4thtrySteve_Leedynamo6thplanetR-CarpenterTurn2ugly_wooferSilver1omojhollanderdcibeland 1 other.
    I have a signature.
  • Where did you acquire this photo, JR?

• Badlands National Park in my beautiful state of South Dakota.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.