Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Blew 20" out today, and 18 yesterday ..

ugly_woofer6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • I thought a high of 23 tomorrow sounded bad. At -15 I wouldn't even be going to work.

• So glad that we're out of that potential crap. It's 70 today. 😛

jhollander
  • We had freezing rain with snow on top that left a solid layer about 1/4" thick on the driveway and walks. Some of it you could get under with a shovel and it would just peel up. Some of it you had to chip off the concrete. Two days of cold and close to 50 this weekend.

I took this screen shot last night. Snow from the west edge of SD to Boston.

Ron

• We were in the 80s yesterday and Monday. Rest of the week will be low 50s. And then 70s again.

• Out here where I live (West Coast) when it snows the sun usually comes out the next days and melts what little fell the night before.

• Having grown up in Ottawa in the 60's, this time of the year afforded us kids the ability to skate over the frozen-rain covered snowdrifts engulfing cars, road-side snow-plowed embankments and neighbors yard fences like little demons.

It was awesome then but I wouldn't trade living here in the South for that crazy shit any longer.

Coldest I have experienced was -40*F up there and we got snowed in with drifts so deep we couldn't open the doors to the house and had to go outside through a bedroom window.

• We officially ended up with 11.1" from the same storm. The plow guys - both public and private - are having a field day with this. What JR gets we usually get about 75% of a day later. So far our plow guy has been through twice, with one more clean up round due today.

• 7 degrees this morning. I just took the dog out and it didn't feel that bad thanks to almost no wind for a change.

• edited February 2023

Not really off topic but I got to hear a pair of Martin Logan CLS-II electrostatic speakers this afternoon and didn't want to start a new thread. I was favorably impressed. The owner was running a pro sound sub (don't remember the name) with them and I thought the bass was a little heavy so he lowered the level for me. They really have an uncolored sound and could play plenty loud for my taste these days. The soundstage was lovely and I could live with speakers that sound like that any day.

jr@macSteve_LeeKornbread
  • Wife and I used to go to a local audio store back in the day just to listen to ML. Caviar dreams in those days.

I have a signature.
  • edited February 2023

I thought the Emirates ad with the woman standing on top of the Burj Khalifa was scary enough, but this couple set new highs/lows in terms of frightening viewers and in bravado/idiocy

I couldn't watch the last bit.....

And to think I ended up in hospital after peeling an orange with my thumb!

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • Way back when, best I can tell is 12 years ago.

ugly_wooferkenrhodeshifisideWolfSteve_LeeR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • He was a good hound , both were good hounds

jr@mac
  • @Nicholas_23 said:
    He was a good hound , both were good hounds

They really were, I especially miss black dog, we were tight. Except when I was doing measurements lol. He would run and hide when he saw me getting the mic stand out!

I have a signature.
  • https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mdvO6u7C3jZCVkfl7si-fOHn0WKKexNM/view?usp=drivesdk
    Song I did with a couple buddies. I'm left guitar, bass, vocals. Buddy I grew up with on right guitar, fellow speaker geek/drummer (goes by Drummer on PE and DIY, names Glenn) on drums. 🤘🏼

DanPugly_wooferNicholas_23jhollanderSteve_Lee
  • Wished I had those chops . I couldnt keep up. Dig it !

• edited March 2023

https://on.soundcloud.com/wRoMiYkA3pqaPFpN9
    Might be easier to play from here.
    Has the lyrics too
    Thanks Nick!!

jhollanderSteve_Lee
  • Sold these about a month ago, guy did a reveal video.

Silver1omohifisideWolfkenrhodesNicholas_23Steve_LeeBilletjhollanderKornbread4thtryand 1 other.
  • That last iteration sounded very good too.

6thplanet
  • Thanks! I do miss them, this stupid weather is killing me! Can't wait to get back at the new units.

• Amazing speaker, kinda sad I won't be able to hear and see them again. You do amazing work and every word of praise is well deserved.

6thplanetNicholas_234thtry
  • @6thplanet said:
    https://on.soundcloud.com/wRoMiYkA3pqaPFpN9
    Might be easier to play from here.
    Has the lyrics too
    Thanks Nick!!

You guys kicked this in the pants!
    Eric you are awesome.
    Glen - you rock!

I'm too old for this stuff but I can certainly appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing.

:)

6thplanetPWRRYD
  • edited March 2023

You know of all the songs and poetry written about summer?
    I've been living in eternal summer for the past 12 months.

It is both heaven and hell on earth. Some days its just torture.

My piano tuner came yesterday and was sweating within minutes of sitting down.
    So I offered him a glass of icy water and turned on the AC. But the ice maker wasn't working. It was probably tired.

He asked "any problems with your new piano? "

I said- "Hmmm my wife thinks that the B4♭ key is sticky" ...

So he pulled out his gizmos.

[80F] and 69% humidity. This was 9AM.

"Pianos work best between 40 and 45% humidity"

"So do humans" I said

I dream of snow...

6thplanetTurn2Steve_Lee
  • "Come to Canada" they said, "it will be cool" and then the global cooling came and we were buried under 6 feet of snow . . . How do piano's sound when the RH is <5% and the wood structure is warping and cracking?

tktran
  • @tktran said:
    You know of all the songs and poetry written about summer?
    I've been living in eternal summer for the past 12 months.

It is both heaven and hell on earth. Some days its just torture.

My piano tuner came yesterday and was sweating within minutes of sitting down.
    So I offered him a glass of icy water and turned on the AC. But the ice maker wasn't working. It was probably tired.

He asked "any problems with your new piano? "

I said- "Hmmm my wife thinks that the B4♭ key is sticky" ...

So he pulled out his gizmos.

[80F] and 69% humidity. This was 9AM.

"Pianos work best between 40 and 45% humidity"

I’m going to mess this up a bit bc my memory is faulty. I saw Dave Brubeck perform in I think ‘89. He told us a story about one of his favorite performances. He was on the “real ambassador” tour and they stopped to play in India. When he sat at the piano shortly before the curtain went up the piano was out of tune. After an emergency tuning and it was time to perform, the piano was out of tune already. He apologized to the audience that they wouldn’t be able to play because the piano wasn’t working. The crowd was beyond restless and someone ran up and asked him if the piano was tropicalized. Tropical? Well, the only one in the city was at the British Club or embassy. The crowd went out following the gentleman to the piano location, and CARRIED the piano through the streets to the venue so he could perform. Biggest piano he had ever seen and the wires had some sort of precious metals to “tropicalize it”.
    It was a great show I saw and one of his sons was a phenomenal sideman.

jhollandertktranSteve_Lee
  • Great video, couldn't think of better recommendation. So when are you going to do a guest spot on one of his videos?

6thplanet
  • I don't know, maybe when I finish my latest build? Might help a sale😁

• Fired her up today. Won't drive it yet, but she's ready.

Another blizzard tomorrow, dammit.

Silver1omo6thplanetR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.