Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• @6thplanet said:

.....Clerks anyone?

Yum!

• We're getting dumped on right now. Over an inch an hour!

• The extremely rare triple conjunction of trash day, recycling day and BLIZZARD WARNING! is going to be interesting. I never would have guessed that milk jugs were so aerodynamic.

Nicholas_23Kornbreadjr@macSilver1omojholtzSteve_Lee
  • They just closed our office here in Cedar Rapids. Roads are messy and slick in spots. The plows haven't been through our neighborhood in the past 24 hours. My FWD (not 4WD) Santa Fe is horrible in the snow. The traction control is way too eager to kick in and slow you to a crawl.

• We had another 6 inches by 9:30 this morning and it's been snowing ever since. Winds are 30mph with gusts to 45. We expect lows as low as -15 this weekend with -40 wind chills. The fence around the shrubs is 3 ft. tall.

Ron

jholtzSteve_Lee
  • I hate winter! I can't wait to head south west! No snow and highs in the 60's and 70's.

Jim

Turn2
  • Yeah, THIS time of year. Every other time of year it's a volcanic dream vacation smoldering on all sides.

You can ALWAYS put more clothes on. If I lived in FL or AZ, I'd be a puddle.

DrewsBrews
  • Winter sucks.

I have a signature.
  • edited January 13

We got 14.5" total so far (Midnight, SE Wisconsin). Still snowing, another 3 inches expected by morining. Went through 2 tanks of gas on my snowblower. I think we are being punished for the warm December weather.

• Be well you guys - I don't miss the snow/winters up North!

• edited January 13

-10F right now, 30-40mph winds, lots of blowing snow, wind chill of -40F. -20F expected overnight, but the wind is supposed to chill the fuck out tomorrow - relative to today. We will be in a wind chill warning through Tuesday. Gotta love SoDak weather.

On Thursday I had to pick up some meds and grabbed two cases of beer while I was there. Got home and the wife had bought a case of beer as well - we are well-stocked at The Feral Goat.

You can find my bar on Facebook.

Recently remodeled, but no picture of the remodel yet.

hifisideSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Silver1omoSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • I live outside of Sioux Falls it’s a little more open out here.

jr@macSilver1omojhollanderSteve_Lee
  • All I can say guy's is YUCK.

• My wife and I decided to be first time snowbirds and spend Jan. & Feb. in Fountain Hills AZ this year. Looks like we left just in time to leave NE Iowa. I won't rub it in by posting pics. We already reserved a place for next year, but Jan. thru March. There are advantages of being old and retired!

jr@mac6thplanetugly_wooferjholtzSteve_Leetajanes
  • are you renting or... Ed?

• I have a signature.
  • You can keep that stuff in SD where it belongs.

jr@macNicholas_23ugly_wooferjholtzSteve_Lee
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    My wife and I decided to be first time snowbirds and spend Jan. & Feb. in Fountain Hills AZ this year. Looks like we left just in time to leave NE Iowa. I won't rub it in by posting pics. We already reserved a place for next year, but Jan. thru March. There are advantages of being old and retired!

Jealous

• It's Summer in Melbourne (Oz) but yesterday we went for a drive into the country and it was 14C and raining, with low cloud. Usual temperature at this time is 24-30C! We've also had extensive and damaging floods in rural Victoria, with some places getting a month or more's rainfall in one day. Strange indeed.

Not looking for forward to February: usually the hottest month here, with 35-40C degrees and sometimes even higher than that. Bleah....

Great nephews in Iowa City not quite house bound, but they've had heavy snow falls.

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • @jr@mac said:

We're a whole day behind you guys in SD. The wind has already started to pick up and the temp is dropping. Just finished the final driveway cleaning and salting. Ready to make some chili and watch the first playoff game. Stay safe and warm my friends.

• edited January 14

I started yet another project. To make better use of the newly finished little room I'm going to make a work bench for the wife's crafting out of a couple cabinets and a 10ft section of countertop.

I got two 36" wide sink cabinets to hold up the counter on either side and chopped off the top fake drawer section so the result should be ~29" table top height. Since the upper back braces were cut off I'm gluing them back in place right now at the new lower height.

Sad how little $192 gets you anymore in a cabinet with no drawers. The sides are 3/8" particle board and the back braces appear to be thinner than 1/4" MDF. Fortunately the lady at checkout decided to still give me the bag sale 15% off. I didn't realize at first and was worried I picked up the wrong cabinets since the price was so different lol.

kenrhodeshifiside
  • The cold made it here -12 and -38 wind chill.

• edited January 14

Currently -8F (not wind chill) were I am. When it gets this cold, I like to crack open a couple faucets (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, basement wash tub, etc.) and let them slowly drip, drip, drip. This greatly reduces the water pressure in the copper pipes and prevents the possibility of pipes bursting in the cold. Here is a clip from Ask This Old House that explains this concept:

tajanesa4eaudioSteve_Lee
  • ... and all this time I thought it was because running water doesn't freeze as quickly as still water.

• St. Louis made it to -7 degrees

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • -18F here right now.

I have a signature.

• The Ankeny home.

The Western IA ranch.

Getting from one to the other safely might take all day.

• @Kornbread said:
    ... and all this time I thought it was because running water doesn't freeze as quickly as still water.

Yep.

• We are at a chilling 12F here. :p

4thtry