Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Where I work if you NCNS after a holiday they take your holiday pay away. Totally fair in my opinion, companies need to be able to count on employees.

• We get that all the time at work.

• @DrewsBrews said:
    Lol I'm the only schmuck on my team today who showed up to work sofar. Two on PTO (which is fine), but one called off and two are NCNS afaik. I hope the last guy who works a little later hours shows up. WTH is wrong with people?

My daughter gets a $10 bonus every time she clocks in by her shift start - says something about young people’s habits and work ethic

• Before this conversation devolves, I'm requesting we change the subject.

I have a signature.
  • I'm rewatching "My Name is Earl" right now (insomnia, my constant companion). I forget how hilarious this show is.

ugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • edited December 2023

Love that show! Great characters.

jr@mac
  • Yep a great show for sure! There were a few shows that did a really great job of developing their characters and kept the plot interesting. As dark as it was Breaking Bad was great!

• My all time favorite is The Sopranos, IMO still the gold standard.

I have a signature.
  • Things are looking up. The moisture is gone, and so are the fans. Put THIS on your favorite media center and CRANK THAT MOTHER!

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • I cant handle the awesome. OMFG.

Turn2Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Tomorrow is garbage and recycle day so I took the empties out of the nerdery. Took two trips, and the wife says I never do anything around the house.

ugly_woofertajanesSteve_Leehifiside
    I have a signature.
  • The Woodsmith store in Des Moines lost their lease and closed for several months to move. They were supposed to be open by mid November but it was close to the end of December. I drove down today to buy some sepele to make speaker stands for the Subterfuges with and learned that they were all out of Baltic birch except for 5 pieces of 1/4". They won't get anymore until the was in Ukraine is over. I guess I'll be using MDF for a while.

Turn2
  • edited January 5

Wonder why we can't get the same stuff out of Canada?

Then this --> https://www.midtownlumber.com/baltic-birch-plywood-canadian-birch-plywood-and-mdf-what-is-the-difference/

I suspect that BB is slower growth than Canadian and therefore denser but that is an assumption . . .

• Wonder where I can get Lightweight Mdf? The stuff I have is heavy. 🤔

• The lightweight does not leave as nice of an edge and seems to be more inconsistent than the normal MDF. Also, it's still heavy.

Steve_Lee
  • My local Woodcraft store has plenty of Baltic birch, but it's $110 for a 3/4" 48" x 48" sheet

• I better hide mine for that price.

• We use to buy this around here for very reasonable price but can’t find it anymore.

• Yeah, I have not seen any 13-ply birch for quite some time, not even the cheaper stuff is available at the big box stores. We do have a local distributor of cabinet grade woods that carries some really nice domestic birch plywood but A: they do not sell to guys like me who want one sheet and B: still hideously expensive - they are definitely taking advantage of the void left by the war.

I have a signature.
  • Very tough to find anything more than 7 ply of any type around here. And if you do, it's 2nd mortgage time.

• The price of MDF is ridiculous, especially double refined, so I would happily pay the extra for BB.

• Here's the great Oscar Peterson discussing Art Tatum and musical things with the late Andre Previn; hadn't seen it before and found it fascinating:

Geoff

• I started "officially" (lol) driving 40 years ago today! Man I remember how bad I couldn't wait to get my driver's license. No more needing Mom or Dad hauling me around!

hifisidejr@macGeoffMillar6thplanet
  • I still remember taking Driver's Ed in '78. One girl in my car pulled over on the highway shoulder so we could change drivers. She stepped out of the car and it started rolling forward. She forgot to put it in Park! Our instructor was on the ball and slowly put on the brakes after we rolled about 10 feet. The look on her face was priceless.

• We had a student in our car that could not grasp the function of a steering wheel. They thought the steering wheel had to be turning for the car to turn, they overshot every turn and did multiple u-turns that were supposed to be 90* turns. They were never allowed to drive on the roads and I don't know if they ever got a license.

Steve_LeeTom_S6thplanet4thtry
  • We got 9-10 inches of wet heavy snow Monday into Tuesday. It was pretty but a PITA to move. It was slushy on the bottom and would plug up the snow thrower often.

On a brighter note (pun intended) my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said new lighting for the basement shop area. Out came the old fluorescent fixtures (many of which weren't where you needed light) which were on 3 different switches around the room and in went all new LED fixtures that are all on 1 switch at the entrance. It's seems like daylight now.

I cleared the bench so the electricians could work above it. It's probably the first time I've seen the bench clean in 20 years.

Ron

Steve_Leehifisidejr@mackenrhodes6thplanettajanesSilver1omo4thtry
  • We got 12" earlier this week followed by 4" yesterday. Yippee. Still well below last years amounts at this point in the season.

I have a signature.
  • On top of the fresh foot of snow it looks like another windblown 6-11" is forecast for Friday ahead of subzero highs and bitter wind chills through the weekend. Painful.

jholtzSteve_Lee
  • Yeah, we are under another winter storm warning starting this afternoon. Same system that are going to hit you guys. Oregon, here I come!

I have a signature.
  • .....Clerks anyone?