Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• I heard there was over 150 in two days.

• edited April 29

Visited the family farm yesterday and crossed the path of this monster in a couple of places.

This vent(?) off the top of a barn or hog confinement wound up high in a tree near where my brother lives. Among the other debris were seed delivery receipts from '96 and '97. The dealer is 20 miles away as the crow flies.

Steve_Lee
  • edited April 29

One of the people who was injured in Harlan passed away yesterday. Fortunately the storms ran out of steam before they got close to us. There's another chance for severe storms here this week.

• Apparently, the Dollar Tree Distribution Center was hit really hard.

• Very scary weather!

• And many were on the ground for a long time. The Minden tornado went from McClelland to near Manilla, or close to 45 miles.

• I was fortunate this time. The tornado in Pleasant Hill travelled about one mile away from where I live in the country. That made me happy it missed me but sorry for those that weren't as lucky as I. Welcome to the Midwest.

Jim

Turn2
  • Sounds like if you’re from Iowa tonight better keep your eye on the sky

• edited April 30

I was looking for a way to implement a Hafler ~surround circuit via using a separate amp (from my main- which is how I’ve generally seen it set) and came across this.

Thought I’d pass it by this group first, before ‘trying it out’ on my Parasound Z-amp V.3 for any potential issues.
    Thoughts / suggestions - thx

• You could probably do this in a DAW if you have a spare audio interface. Just make 2 mono inputs, invert one channel and make sure all the levels are the same. I think Audacity has all the features to do this.

• @Tom_S said:
    You could probably do this in a DAW if you have a spare audio interface. Just make 2 mono inputs, invert one channel and make sure all the levels are the same. I think Audacity has all the features to do this.

Thx. I'm just looking at the one-and-done Y-connector options. I can't pull from my mains amp (as per the more std Hafler set-up) as its signal at that point is split (bi-amping), but I could pull from the pre-amp pre-active Xover. I'll probably just stick with my a/v preamp for surround decoding, but this could be an interesting option (free's up preamp options - 2 channel).

• Paint and stickers👍🏻 starting to add all the electronics now.

kenrhodesSteve_LeePWRRYDNicholas_23hifisidejr@macSilver1omojhollanderGeoffMillar4thtry
  • Gulf Livery !!!

PWRRYD6thplanet
  • @6thplanet said:

Paint and stickers👍🏻 starting to add all the electronics now.

MY MAN!!!!

6thplanetGeoffMillar
  • Outstanding, truly creative Eric!!!!

6thplanet
  • Up and running! Holy hell this thing is a blast!

PS4, Dayton 2.1 amp. Driving a couple Ford/JBL 5x7 enclosures that have a 5"/1" component set in them. Then for sub action I'm using a Dayton bass shaker under the seat.

Here's where the speakers are.

I have more grill material for the front opening once I move it downstairs. I had to use my TV to get everything updated and working. Now I can just use the VR set-up.

hifisideSteve_LeetajanesRon_Eugly_wooferTom_SKornbreadSilver1omojhollanderGeoffMillarand 4 others.
  • That rig is outstanding!

6thplanet
  • The only thing missing from that is Steve McQueen!

Geoff

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • woo dodging nados out here. Sirens came on probably 8 times.

Steve_Leejr@mac
  • That is incredible! Nice paint job!

6thplanet
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    woo dodging nados out here. Sirens came on probably 8 times.

The storms are slowly moving north - my turn for the shit will probably be in another two weeks.

Stay safe, my friend.

I have a signature.
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    woo dodging nados out here. Sirens came on probably 8 times.

Coming through our area in a few hours.

• edited May 8

The sirens continued a few more rounds after I posted. I'm reading there were 4 separate warnings here in Butler co. OH. One looked to be around 5mi north of me. A guy I work with lives up there and told me it passed within a quarter mile of him. We were in the path of a lot of them that touched down in Indiana but fortunately it skipped over us before touching back down 10or so miles east. The lightning was nuts. Sky flashing like a firework show finale. Looking west with the wind at your back going right at the storm. As if it is inhaling for a mighty scream. Pretty creepy

Steve_Lee
  • Yesterday afternoon in Illinois.

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Driving home from work yesterday it was down pouring rain and pea sized hail at the same time. I've never seen that before. It got so hard to see that I just pulled over and waited 10 minutes then it was over.

• edited May 8

Yep as the rain started we could hear the ice pinging off the windows of the house.

We watched Ryan Hall's live feed. Crazy that you can actually see the blips on the radar from debris being sucked thousands of feet into the atmosphere.

• I stopped by a local home builder earlier this week to check on their hardwood lumber. They cut down local trees, plank them out and kiln dry the lumber in a solar kiln. They use the wood for their own home builds and sell to the public. I had called earlier to see what they had in walnut and they said they didn't have much because they'd just done a kitchen in quarter sawn walnut. They weren't lying. They were down to 3 wild edge planks that didn't look like they would work for me. They said they would have more in 2 years. Today I ran across their Facebook page with pictures of a kitchen they had done recently. Now I know where my walnut went.

From Iowa Home Crafter's Facebook page.

A good friend of mine was a partner in the business before he retired a several years ago.

Their stack of logs. The large one on the right in front of the dumpster is waist high.

The kiln.

They number every log and every piece of wood that comes out of it. I assume they do that so they can match color and grain for the projects they build.

Ron

EggguyPWRRYDNicholas_23Steve_Lee6thplanetColonel7
  • Those walnut cabinets are awesome!

6thplanet