Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Such a beautifully quaint space comapred to the McMansions I see around here. Quality over quantity!

• Its rare to come across a walnut tree big enough to quarter saw. Maybe that is why the door frames are so narrow.

• When I go in the house I might kick my cabinets.

Steve_Lee
  • As one of the premier builders in town they build their share of McMansions. We would have loved to have them build our house but we just couldn't afford them.

https://iowahomecrafters.com/gallery-2/

Ron

• edited May 11

• Got to see the Northern Lights in my back yard!

6thplanet
  • I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

• edited May 11

The first is from my driveway about one mile from the DIY Iowa Best Western. The next two are from about an hour north of Ankeny.

jr@macTom_SSteve_LeePWRRYDNicholas_23Eggguyjhollanderugly_wooferGeoffMillar6thplanetand 2 others.
  • That's cool!

Turn2
  • edited May 14

Could this be the hardest rocking Beatles track?

Very rough mono sound, but the energy really comes through: live at the Star Club in Hamburg, 1962. You'll notice they borrowed the bass part for the 'I Saw Here Standing There' riff.

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • The weather has been weird here since we closed this last year, it made a mess. Time to get my pool boy hat on.

jr@macPWRRYDSteve_Lee
  • kiagang

All three of our family Kias in a row. One Sorento and a pair of Fortes.

I have a signature.
  • You need a stinger.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    You need a stinger.

I test drove one when I was shopping, settled on the Sorento. The Stinger would get me in a heap of trouble.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • We all need a little trouble in our lives.

tajanesSteve_LeeTurn2
  • @6thplanet said:
    We all need a little trouble in our lives.

Not at my age lol. Ten years ago it would have been a no brainer.

The truck has plenty of trouble potentially all on her own.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • 350 CI ?

• It's a Chevy... of course it has a 350 lol

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    350 CI ?

Technically a 355 at this point. Pistons, heads, headers, intake, carb, cam all non-stock.

I have a signature.
  • =)

Love it.

• edited May 15

Speaking of Chev engines, in Oz we had a very strong Formula 5000 scene during the 1970s and early 80s. There were some locally made cars as well as Lolas, Chevrons etc, including the last F5000 made here, the 'Elfin' MR9:

Almost all of the F5000s used a Chevrolet V8, although some had GM-Holden or Leyland (Rover) V8s of 4.4 litres. Power varied from around 500bhp (in their heyday) to 550-600bhp in historic racing now.

The MR9 used some sort of different crankshaft and exhaust system, which resulted in a truly awesome sound. I saw it race once and it didn't do that well as it wasn't fully sorted out. I think it was supposed to be a 'ground effect' car as per the Lotus 79 and other cars of that era.

Geoff

6thplanet
  • Maybe a flat plane crank? Maybe a 180* header (a la GT40) setup?

• @6thplanet said:
    Maybe a flat plane crank? Maybe a 180* header (a la GT40) setup?

Yes, that's it, plus the exhaust system was slightly different from the other cars.

Geoff

• @hifiside said:
    The weather has been weird here since we closed this last year, it made a mess. Time to get my pool boy hat on.

That looks like a LOT of work! My heart will sink if I find our pool like that when I pull the winter cover off next weekend :'(

• All vacuumed and taking it first treatment today.

jr@macPWRRYDtajanesSteve_LeeTurn2
  • @6thplanet said:
    Maybe a flat plane crank? Maybe a 180* header (a la GT40) setup?

Flat plane crank engines have a cool sound.

• Yup, and a 180* exhaust can mimick that on a cross plane crank.

• edited May 15

But it looks like a pile of snakes :p

I like the scream of a 500 cubic inch, normally aspirated engine at 10,500 rpm (Pro Stock).

Edit:
    I was thinking of a different exhaust system (Dan Gurney's?). This is a 180* system:

6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • That is over the top cooooool

• The late, great Dan Gurney - remember the "Dan Gurney for President" campaign? - used a Weslake V12 in his Eagle Formula One car, it too had a fantastic sound. Beautiful car, too.

Geoff