Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Off topic discussions - no politics, religion, food, or booze.

Comments

• Thanks Geoff. I think that's the one I'm remembering. It had had the intake and exhaust port locations switched around with 12 side draft carbs and a pile of snakes (exhaust pipes) where the intake manifold usually is.

• Nope. I think I'm miss remembering again. Maybe this for a V8?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Nope. I think I'm miss remembering again. Maybe this for a V8?

…these could make for and interesting (external) porting on your next / current build B)

• edited May 15

There are a couple of builds in the Parts Express Project Gallery which use engines as the basis for their cabinets: the 'Panheads' and 'Knuckleheads' I think. They use pretend exhaust pipes as their port tubes.

https://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/the-panheads/

There was also a V8 version somewhere

Geoff

Steve_Lee
  • Yeah, that dude was pretty creative with those builds. I was at the PE shows when he brought them... couldn't tell you what they sounded like.

...I'm sure Ben can😛

• The GT40 is the most well known 180 setup.

• Super great guy (Dave Pellingrene sp?). He built some very nice and super creative speakers. Met him at Indy once or twice.

• Yep, Dave Pellegrene. Dragsters (V8, used Dayton DA115), Panheads, and Knuckleheads. They all sounded good, and the exhaust pipes did work.

Dave was very creative. IIRC, I have his phone number. Maybe I'll ping him and see how he is doing....

• @6thplanet said:
    The GT40 is the most well known 180 setup.

You mean just the exhaust? I was thinking the 427 cammers were a 90° V8....

• @Wolf said:

@6thplanet said:
    The GT40 is the most well known 180 setup.

You mean just the exhaust? I was thinking the 427 cammers were a 90° V8....

Yes the exhaust, it rearranges the header pipes to synchronize opposing firing orders.

Wolfjr@mac
  • Years ago we had a great historic race meeting at Sandown race track in Melbourne to which people bought some fantastic cars: 1967 Honda V12, 1961 GP Porsche; 250F and 300S Maseratis; C-type Jaguar, McLaren M26 F5000, 1938 GP Mercedes; Porsche 917; Brabham BT19; and many others. Drivers included Stirling Moss, Jack Brabham, John Surtees and Denny Hulme.

The most unusual sound was the pre-war Mercedes: like someone tearing up a corrugated steel roof; it put out about 400 bhp on skinny tires. I don't know what the fuel was, but it was mixed just prior to the car going out.
    Denny drove the beast, which for some Teutonic reason had the brake pedal on the right and the accelerator in the middle: he left many tire marks along the back straight.

The Honda sounded great but only lasted two or three laps before something broke.

However, the sound of a DC-3 is still my favourite mechanical noise.

Geoff

PWRRYD6thplanet
  • I dream to touch a 917 someday...😍

• Swapped out carbs on the truck tonight, much more better. Rust from gas tank got into previous one. Started right up. About got idle set right. Time for beer.

6thplanet
    I have a signature.
  • For fans of 50s rock:

I have a signature.
  • @6thplanet said:
    I dream to touch a 917 someday...😍

I didn't touch it but got close to it in the pits; it and the GP Porsche had a howl which bounced around the covered grandstand of the circuit, marvellous. I think the latter was the car in which Dan Gurney won his first Grand Prix.

I also saw and heard a 962 at our Philip Island track which was amazing; louder, but not as visceral as the 917. It was driven by Vern Schuppan, a Le Mans winner who came second in the 1974 or '75 Indy 500, great driver.

Geoff

6thplanet
  • That's awesome! I'm planning on going to the vintage races at Mid Ohio in June. There won't be any coolness like those cars, but should be a great time none the less. Go Porsche!!🤘🏼

tajanes
  • edited May 17

I bought tickets last week for my son and I to go the the NASCAR Cup Series race in St. Louis on June 2nd. He's only seen the XFinity cars at Road America so far. He's super excited because he's an Alex Bowman fan. Told him I can control everything but the weather. St Louis is just over a 4 hour drive from here and he has school and I have work the next morning :#

tajanes6thplanetjhollander
  • Lawn mowed , tilled up a garden, the old gal wanted to give me 50 bucks for a 10x15 ,it went back in her pocket.

6thplanetSteve_LeetajanesTurn2
  • edited May 18

'stendo

Gorilla glue (since it foams up and hopefully make decent contact with the imperfect surfaces) 4x 5/16" carriage bolts ea. in a staggered orientation. Hopefully thats overkill

jr@macSteve_LeeNicholas_23
  • Another piece of the puzzle. The face plates for my amplifier project. Keith Etheredge did the laser etching and knocked it out of the park!

Steve_Leejr@macPWRRYDugly_wooferTurn2hifisideSilver1omo4thtryNicholas_23Ron_Eand 2 others.
  • That looks great! I like that font.

6thplanet
  • edited May 21

That is very cool !!! really like the font style as well

6thplanet
  • I don't envy folks in Iowa right now. Sounds like the atmosphere is winding up for one hell of a tantrum.

• It is officially a tornado outbreak in Iowa. We have several members in Iowa, keep them in your thoughts today.

I have a signature.
  • Take cover guys! Thoughts and prayers for you.

• Hold on to your butt, Maynard! Washington seems to attract storms.

Looks like it should miss us in Cedar Rapids. But this is according to the local ABC affiliate and their track record isn't stunning.

• Jim is in Des Moines, news said they got nailed. Hope he's okay.

• Ron is in Ames. Not sure if they saw any damage.

• Well, TomS is okay!

Steve_LeeEggguy
  • Greenfield IA was hammered by what might be classed as a F4.

Steve_LeeNicholas_23
    I have a signature.