Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

JFcomponents my new adventure.

Comments

• I think it does really good. Almost as good as the the Big OB’s I brought to Iowa 2022.

• What drivers are you using?

• @johnny5jz said:
    What drivers are you using?

MCM 55-2985 21”

johnny5jz6thplanet
  • Wow! Cool!

• Remember the cone area is like 8-8’s per Subwoofer.

• edited January 7

Check out the MCM 53-1245.
    https://newark.com/mcm-audio-select/53-1245/compression-horn-tweeter-1-75/dp/13T7684?st=tweeter

I used a different part number for the mid in my Faux Pas build (Heresy clone, but as a tower and on the cheap) crossed ~750-800hz (swapped the included horn for the Celestion H1-9040P/ Dayton H812 instead). But the response graph on the spec sheet looks identical so I'm 99% sure it is the same CD just with a different horn for the new part number.

I've got some of the PE buyout giant $4 b-52 waveguide horns (BL-409). I should see how these CDs do in those. They are certainly cheap enough to mess around with.

Used the p.audio pht-409 for the tweeter in the above mentioned build. Polyimide diaphragm, and the horn looks identical to the tweeters in the Klipsch heritage 3-ways (though Klipsch changed the phase plug in recent versions). I measured HD in the -50s. I got it as a b-52 buyout off ebay. But ZXPC.us looks to be the only US, non buyout, source for it that I can find. There seem to be very few people importing p.audio stuff.. so maybe another gap to take a peek into.

• I have some horns and CD sample coming since I already have a 18” driver.

• edited January 7

Myself being a rather uninformed outsider to PA. There seem to be no 18" monitors. Probably since folks like to have em up on poles. Though one thing I find local bands tend to lack is a sub/s. 12"/15" monitors are not tuned for that so the bass guitar barely gets heard unless there are venue subs to use. I wonder if there would be a market for a horn box with amp built in to plop on top of, and power the 18". The horn box would be smaller than a 12" or 15" monitor so maybe a band would be more open to transporting it along with 18" cabinets.

• Subs and tops on sticks are pretty much the norm around here for most bar bands. A top box with a traditional 12 or 15 and a CD & horn are fairly easy for the manufacturers to design and build. They can be pretty compact and light, so that's what seems to drive the pro-sumer market.

• The MCM 55-2985 21” OB Dats.

6thplanet
  • Wow did not expect the QTS that high

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @jhollander said:
    Wow did not expect the QTS that high

Yep.

• It has a cast basket and costs less than $100.

• Not seeing it for sale anymore.
    ...and yeah, Q of 2, def OB ready.

• It’s been discontinued for awhile

• I could not resist. Placed an order and having it shipped to work ;)

In the future which is best for you.. regular CC or Paypal? Or do they both extract about the same pound o flesh?

• Thank you. It doesn’t matter both the same.

• New samples

jr@macjhollanderSteve_Leejohnny5jztajanesrjj45Silver1omo6thplanetScottS
  • Dynavox and HiVi had some babies?

hifiside
  • Those look great!

• Whizzer cones... why the bigger whizzer on the smaller driver?

• @PWRRYD said:
    Whizzer cones... why the bigger whizzer on the smaller driver?

For better whizzin

rjj456thplanet
  • edited January 11

@hifiside said:
    New samples

Very interesting.
    Sorta reminds me of the Audio Nirvana’s (I really liked their 6.5s) but with, from the looks of the surrounds, larger Xmax.

Steve_Lee
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Whizzer cones... why the bigger wh =) izzer on the smaller driver?

Overcompensating =)

6thplanet
  • whizzer envy?

tajaneskenrhodesdcibel
  • Interesting looking cone material. I am really curious about the difference in whizzer cone sizes - be fun to see how they measure.

I have a signature.
  • Some modified Dayton horns for the next build.

jr@macugly_wooferPWRRYDSilver1omo
  • Hey look a rabbit hole.🤦🏻‍♂️

Steve_Leeugly_wooferjhollanderrjj45
  • I've got some of those! You might try the experiment often reported to line the back side of the horn with "bitumen", which in this day means "stuff to damp car doors". (but works the same)

Steve_Lee
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • @rjj45 said:
    I've got some of those! You might try the experiment often reported to line the back side of the horn with "bitumen", which in this day means "stuff to damp car doors". (but works the same)

Like I did with the 6.5x12” picture above.?

Steve_Lee