Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

JFcomponents my new adventure.

Comments

• @jhollander said:
    I'd like to see some measurements on that one. How big is it?

8”

• Do you have the water based body filler for sale now?

• @Silver1omo said:
    Do you have the water based body filler for sale now?

Very soon the ingredients in bulk is killing me on shipping.

Silver1omoSteve_Lee
  • I’m in a build slump. Everything I was looking at building I say (meh) too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Go for a hike and get away from the shop for a while . . .

• edited March 29

@hifiside said:
    I’m in a build slump. Everything I was looking at building I say (meh) too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Go back and take a look at some older Missions, ATCs, and the older Naim’s floor-standers (SBLs), always something cool / interesting (imo) that could use a ‘hifiside’ mod or two…

rjj45
  • I would like to see what you come up with for a GRS 8PT-8 PA speaker. Pair that with something like the pro dt175 and a 60x60 horn could make a nice pa/monitor.

• Yeah do something else for a bit. Nothing ruins things like forcing it.

• I will finish our commercial build that JR and I have been working on. I have sat in front of these for the last 6 hrs. Shooting for DDIY.

kenrhodes
  • I would like to see you steal my idea of a WTWW 2.5 way with MAC06's all in parallel

• Usually a speaker event inspires my next next build. I come up with something super challenging then later regret it.

a4eaudiorjj45PWRRYDSteve_Leetajanesugly_wooferScottSjr@mac
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • When you're in liquidation mode you don't have that problem. I've gifted, donated or sold 4 projects so far in March. I'm going to gut another project and move the better drivers to some better cabinets and then redo the Relayers for a more WAF look and feel. In the meantime I hope to donate or gift a couple more pairs and may even have a few decent drivers to run to a bargain bin sale. IF I can stay on a roll.

jr@mac
  • @Eggguy said:
    I would like to see you steal my idea of a WTWW 2.5 way with MAC06's all in parallel

The issue with this is impedance. The upper midbass being used higher is not the problem, but that it still is used in the bass range. If you use it strictly as a mid, it is much easier to get a good impedance result and several 3 ways have been built with 3 woofers. 3 in parallel will not be a good load at all being they are 4 ohms alone. In this case the woofers would have to be wired in series.
    Some more thoughts to the 2.5way layout...
    If you connect the lower pair in series to make that pair 8 ohms, you still parallel with the 4 ohm midbass making 2.6 ohms net before xover parasitics.
    There will be no net sensitivity increase by having the 3rd woofer, not only because of the series wiring, but also related to the 2.5way arrangement. However, the impedance will be better having the 3rd woofer in series present by paralleling 4 with 8 instead of 4 with 4.
    The other issue is power handling and applied voltage. The midbass and woofer pair will receive the same voltage, making the midbass play louder and maybe run into mechanical issues before the pair would.
    This still being a 2.6 ohm load is the main issue for me, but will have oter problems to sort out.
    It is always better to have all drivers in the same range in parallel or in series for the voltage reasons. If wanting all in parallel, then the woofers really should be at least 8 ohms using lowpass resistance to compensate, or 10 to 16 ohms to make the load safer.
    While I applaud your excitement and drive, I would call the premised show stopped.

• The 6" MAC are 8 ohm, but yes still will run into impedance issues.

I have a signature.
  • edited March 30

Okay, my mistake. Thank you for the correction. For some reason I thought all of the MAC were 4 ohms.
    To elaborate further then, the 3x 8 would still be 2.3 ohms. The series woofers would still help in the impedance, but the voltage differential would still cause issues.

jr@mac
  • @jhollander said:
    Usually a speaker event inspires my next next build.

I agree with this part.

jr@mac
  • @jhollander said:
    I come up with something super challenging then later regret it.

That describes far too many of my builds. :p

jr@macjhollander
  • edited March 30

@jhollander said:
    Usually a speaker event inspires my next next build. I come up with something super challenging then later regret it.

But.. isn’t that the challenge/ fun of trying something new each time we go out and ‘make sawdust’ ?

• The mac06 has a Zmin just below 8.4 Ohms. That's more like a 9 Ohm driver. It has a couple of decibels of built in BSC. Put those two in parallel MTM style with a third woofer adding 3 or 4 Db. additional BSC. With some series DCR from inductors and I think Zmin might only dip to 2.9 Ohms around 200-220 HZ

Steve_Leejr@macScottS
  • I prefer amps that can handle that.

6thplanetrjj45Tom_S
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @kenrhodes said:
    I would like to see what you come up with for a GRS 8PT-8 PA speaker. Pair that with something like the pro dt175 and a 60x60 horn could make a nice pa/monitor.

Did that already.

kenrhodesSteve_Leeugly_woofer6thplanet
  • Is that the JF tweeter? Sealed or ported? Looks like a great HT build.

• Yes JF tweeter in my fiberglass Seos8 horns. Ported around 65Hz if I remember correctly.

• Nice! Cool build thanks for sharing.

• Little commercial speaker listening.

kenrhodes
  • They look pretty nice, some of my first speakers were Jamo. Going to through them in front of the microphone?

• @kenrhodes said:
    They look pretty nice, some of my first speakers were Jamo. Going to through them in front of the microphone?

Yep.

• Nice large port.

• edited April 2

Really digging the GRS MTM. I bet they would be pretty killer towers... Some extra volume to coax more bottom end. I have a pair of those 8" I tried in the Tuxedo T-shirts but they didn't work out with the high crossover point so I used the PA200 instead.