Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Midwest Audio Club drivers.

Comments

• edited February 13

My sample:

Zmin 8.37 around 204-223Hz.

Steve_Lee
  • Thanks, So what is your opinion? I have made speakers that dipped below 3 Ohms but that was at a higher freq. 2-3 Khz. This Idea of mine would probably dip to 3 Ohms around that 200 ish mark. I do not want to intentionally add resistance to a woofer circuit. I might as well just use 24 gauge speaker wire.

• I have designed and built multiple 3 way speaker where the impedance dropped that low (or even lower) around 200-500 Hz. None of my amps or receivers have ever gone into protection mode or sounded like they were struggling. Even a cheap $35 garage sale bought Sony HTR 5.1 powered them with zero issues. Grant it, I don't listen at 110 dB for hours. But even at 90 dB at my listening position around 2 meters no issues. Right now I'm using a Fosi 50W × 2 little amp I got from Charlie and it doesn't even break a sweat.

rjj45
  • Okie dokie then. The Idea is still alive.

Steve_Lee
  • It's not just the impedance magnitude, but the magnitude AND phase angle. Rod Elliot has a good article about it (especially Table 1): https://sound-au.com/patd.htm

rjj45
  • Good point Ed.

• @PWRRYD said:
    Good point Ed.

I agree, all things should be considered.

• @Eggguy said:
    Thanks, So what is your opinion? I have made speakers that dipped below 3 Ohms but that was at a higher freq. 2-3 Khz. This Idea of mine would probably dip to 3 Ohms around that 200 ish mark. I do not want to intentionally add resistance to a woofer circuit. I might as well just use 24 gauge speaker wire.

The resistance is inevitable in a passive network, may as well make it work for you.

I have a signature.
  • edited February 14

That and the extra woofer being low passed around baffle step might raise that 200hz dip, at least for that driver. That is what I was eluding to earlier.

I suppose if I get a moment at home I could throw one on DATS to get a zma and see how the low pass would sim.

• 3 db step loss will occur around 400 Hz I think

• nm I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Just a coil would increase slightly, but anything else seems to dip more.

• I’ve been MIA for some time, but this is one of the coolest and best things i have seen for DIY. Can’t wait to hopefully see finished designs. Cheers!

jr@macSteve_LeeEggguyBryan@MAC
  • @joeybutts said:
    I’ve been MIA for some time, but this is one of the coolest and best things i have seen for DIY. Can’t wait to hopefully see finished designs. Cheers!

There are a couple already floating around. Brad just finished a TM and I did a TMWW, both available as a kit. Craig S. did a small TM, as well. Ken and Dan both also have stuff in the works.

joeybutts
    I have a signature.
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    It's not just the impedance magnitude, but the magnitude AND phase angle. Rod Elliot has a good article about it (especially Table 1): https://sound-au.com/patd.htm

Thank Ed. I like the part where he says that transmission line speakers are typically the easiest to drive, however I dont think that would apply to the ones I make because I do not use fiber damping. The impedance curve on my TLs look very similar to ported, Just a bit flatter.

• Any thoughts about an 8 inch?

• I've given it some thought, see what we can do. Price doesn't, unfortunately, scale linear.

I have a signature.
  • edited March 9

My subjective review on the YTmac-05.
    Speaker placement around 8’6” apart and 44” from rear wall. Slightly towed in around 3/4”
    Playing Bad Bunny ‘MIA’ for my low bass track (careful on the volume). The low bass fills the room well for a 5” I’m very pleased with the bass. Playing Donald Fagen ‘morph the cat’ the bass stays tight and loud with no chuffing of the port which any speaker I build MUST DO or there scrapped.
    Playing 2Pac ‘dear mama’ for upper bass low midrange as Pac should stay exactly in the center of the stage I thought his gurgling voice sounded perfect while handling the (rap) bass notes. Also playing Eric Godoy’s “Aeris” for the low strings in this. I thought the strings sounded just thick enough and the background chatter (recorded in a bar) is still very audible.
    For mine and many others I’m sure, i played the usual vocal artists. I believe the staging is open and does stretch well beyond the speaker placement Amber Rubarth “full moon in Paris” and with the speaker out at 5ft they almost disappear. With the speaker, I really tried to make the mid range and top end very neutral. The only hot sounding music would be some 80s hard rock like Kix, Autograph and Headpins certain songs.
    Like I said, this is subjective obviously, but I will be keeping these so they will be at DDIY and Iowa 2024.

jr@mackenrhodesjhollandertajanesEggguyugly_wooferSilver1omojohnny5jz6thplanetScottSand 4 others.
  • I had a chance to listen to these - they are indeed pretty nice.

I have a signature.
  • Brad, do you know if Aeris is available on any streaming service? I found some other references to it in some speaker reviews but I can't find it on any service I have access to or on CD anywhere.

• @a4eaudio said:
    Brad, do you know if Aeris is available on any streaming service? I found some other references to it in some speaker reviews but I can't find it on any service I have access to or on CD anywhere.

• We'll want to "see" that in Iowa, unless someone finds another source.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Brad, i see Purifi drivers.... gonna spill?

Steve_Lee
  • @Wolf said:
    Brad, i see Purifi drivers.... gonna spill?

Superb drivers.!

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • I want some

hifisideSteve_Lee
  • Hmmm. Saving my pennies in earnest now..... Purifi.......

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • A lot of pennies.

Steve_Leerjj45
  • Less pennies!!!!

• 4,000 pennies weigh a lot . . .

• I think you mean 40,000 pennies.