Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Midwest Audio Club drivers.

Comments

• I reached out to RAD about it. Think I did but not 100% sure if I posted anything about that here.

• No biggy. The drivers were great and my wife just made me store them in the garage for the first 6 months or so.

• @PWRRYD said:
    When my quad of R176-CP-08's showed up from RAD and I opened the box I was hit in the face with the worst/strongest cigarette smoke smell. Like someone was in the box smoking. It took years for the smell to fade off the drivers' soft parts.

I got a four pack of them but never noticed anything. They’ve been in the collection for years now so it’s too late to notice anymore, but I know I wouldn’t have missed that.

• I can second Craig's observation, cigarette+ new electronics or something like that.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Yeah I had noticed that too, I mentioned it and my next few shipments did not smell. All good, the Rival Rush was fun while it lasted. Sorry they couldn't get any traction.

I have a signature.
  • hifisideSilver1omotajanesBryan@MAC4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • edited November 2023

They look great, and did you pick up some new cables? as you have your amp centered…

• edited November 2023

Some DIY cables I made a few years ago. I also bought some appropriate length interconnects.

I have a signature.
  • Kinda needs an aluminum dome or ribbon up there. Otherwise, nice units🤘🏼

• Anyone have any experience with the Newark 53-5165 tweeter? I have a pair and they're a perfect cosmetic match with the MAC drivers.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • edited December 2023

Spec sheet is awfully thin on details/T&S parameters . . . --> https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3686239.pdf

• Well they look great together textures and colors.

DanP
  • Specs look good if there accurate. Price is nice.

• edited December 2023

@DanP said:
    Anyone have any experience with the Newark 53-5165 tweeter? I have a pair and they're a perfect cosmetic match with the MAC drivers.

@PWRRYD - did you ever measure, or even better use, the ones that you used to have (that I now have on my supply shelf)?

• They have a wonky response, but are super clean above 3K.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    They have a wonky response, but are super clean above 3K.

That lowered shelf below 3k should get boosted a little by the narrow 6" baffle it's going on, so that should work well. Probably cross around 2.5 - 3k anyway.

• @a4eaudio said:

@PWRRYD - did you ever measure, or even better use, the ones that you used to have (that I now have on my supply shelf)?

Wow, forgot where those went. I did measure them, don't remember using them. I bet they would work and sound way better than the Bestons I used with my pair of MAC-04 drivers.

• @DanP said:

@jr@mac said:

That lowered shelf below 3k should get boosted a little by the narrow 6" baffle it's going on, so that should work well. Probably cross around 2.5 - 3k anyway.

Yeah, that fills in a bit. I used them on a 7-1/2" baffle. The top end is the wonky bit. Arguable if it matters all that much, though. Nice tweeter.

I have a signature.
  • @DanP said:

@jr@mac said:

I did a teardown on one. Copper cap on pole piece, well designed and damped rear chamber.

I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:

@DanP said:

@jr@mac said:

I did a teardown on one. Copper cap on pole piece, well designed and damped rear chamber.

That's inspiring, but I'm realizing my artificially imposed and completely unnecessary restrictions require a smaller faceplate tweeter, so I'm changing gears to the DX20 :)

jr@macjhollanderScottS
  • The DX20's in my "Manganese" outdoor speakers have now survived their 3rd year outside. They are still going strong.

Steve_LeeDanP
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Got a text from my wife yesterday that a "very good" smelling box came in the mail. They were shipped in a dryer sheet box. B) I hope every speaker gets shipped in such a good smelling box as it seemed to take the edge off of me buying more stuff I don't need.
    I will be building a TM along the lines of Dan's tower. This should be a good combo. I hope to do them justice.

PWRRYDhifisideDanPjr@mac6thplanetSteve_LeejhollanderScottSBryan@MACMartyHand 3 others.

• Got a little work done today. 😀

tajanesjr@machifisideSilver1omoSteve_LeesilverD6thplanet4thtry
  • Talked with Brad, Mark and Dan and I have their blessing to offer these cabinets available to the MAC members. If someone was interested in building along or wanted to build a set independently please let me know.

• Those look really nice Ken!

• Thanks. Getting the dimensions correct is a lot harder than expected. We know to leave some fudge factor when we build manually. With a CNC you assume that it will hold the dimensions that we program but MDF is not stable enough to hold those dimensions.

a4eaudioSteve_Leerjj454thtry
  • @kenrhodes said:
    Thanks. Getting the dimensions correct is a lot harder than expected. We know to leave some fudge factor when we build manually. With a CNC you assume that it will hold the dimensions that we program but MDF is not stable enough to hold those dimensions.

I've been working with an X-Carve CNC lately, and having a lot of trouble getting consistent cuts on different boards.
    Not sure yet whether it's just that machine, or something that I can "tighten up" for the precision I need.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I looked into the x carve a number of years ago. I would run as high rpm as possible and take slow cuts since your bit size will be limited. Also make sure that when you cut a square both X and Y are accurate. It's easy to assume they will move the same but I have seen many machines need calibrate on their X and Y.

• Ken which CNC are you using? Also, what was your lazer machine?

• Torque steering and cutter speed need to be compensated for in the programming/set-up/calibration, don't they?
    I don't know, just asking as an interested observer.