Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• Smoking two racks of ribs today. Will be ready to serve at 6:00.  Also going to try smoking a pan of tator tots.
    D1PP1NJasonPNicholas_23S7910
  • Nice ! Anyone else grilling or smoking meats this weekend? I have another pork shoulder on the weber today. JR sent me a txt last week , 99 cents a pound so grabbed two. 
  • Got Lima beans prepping for long simmer, pulled ribeye from freezer, pulled a pork shoulder from freezer, and spent a fuck-ton of money at farmer's market this am.
    Nicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • jr@ma3c said:
    Got Lima beans prepping for long simmer, pulled ribeye from freezer, pulled a pork shoulder from freezer, and spent a fuck-ton of money at farmer's market this am.
    Gotta love it!
  • And......  we all ate till we were stuffed!  Looking forward to the leftovers later this week :)
  • I smoked a hash brown potato casserole last weekend with my ribs. It took about 3 hours.  It was great.  The smoke made the top look brown like it was in the oven. I think I will add a bit more moisture next time.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails

• First time smoking salmon, waiting for it to dry at the moment. 
    I have a signature.

• .aaaaand it's done. Smokey and sweet and savory. Turned out pretty good for a first attempt at smoking fish. 

Have the butt thawing right now, will dissect it later and get it drying for the smoker tomorrow. Also some ribeyes getting ready. 

Unfortunately, my grandfather fell today and was airlifted from the small southern Black Hills town he lives in to the larger hospital in Rapid City. He was unresponsive, I am currently waiting for an update. He is very nearly 90 and lived a pretty interesting life including being one of the guards at the tomb of the unknown soldier. 
    R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • Thoughts and prayers for your Grandfather JR.

• Damn. 
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks, Craig. As of today he is off ventilator, on the morphine, and being made as comfortable as possible. 

I take these moments to celebrate life, actually. Enjoying a fine whiskey plus I woke up at 4:00 AM this morning to stick a pork shoulder in the oven. 

I spent six hours Friday building those "ham and motherfuckers" (what my dad calls that dish), by the way. Also had to teach the wife and kid how to eat true string beans - they found it endlessly fun to "squeeze" the good stuff out. I forgot how great they are. I grew up eating this stuff, decided recently it was time to get back to my roots as it were. 
    My grampa was a physical fitness and nutrition buff his entire life, taught my dad, and vicariously me, a lot about how important it is to never eat the same meal twice - as long as it was colorful and varied. Obviously, a lot of his good advice fell on deaf ears - but I am getting better. 

Buncha proud Irishmen (and ladies) right there. This was ten years ago already, wow. 
    Nicholas_23JasonPR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 2018
    This picture of your Grandpa and Grandma reminds me a lot of my passed away G&G (Mom's side).  Farmers from Missouri and both from Irish immigrants.  Seeing pictures of them really stir up all sorts of great memories!
  • Smokin two huge racks of baby back ribs today.  Man these racks are meaty.  And the smell of just the rub made me hungry!
    jr@macJasonP
  • I have a signature.
  • Haven't done any memorable steaks lately.
    I did pick up 55% ground beef from US Wellness. It was super delish with kale! Greens soak up the fat and crisp up!
    JasonP
  • I'll pull it tomorrow:

JasonPR-CarpenterNicholas_23
    I have a signature.

• There it is.
    JasonPThumperTom
    I have a signature.
  • Nice smoke ring 
    JasonP

• I am doing food for Christmas gatherings this year, got started this weekend. Four racks, 10# of chicken quarters, and 14# of sausage.
    Nicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • Butter crust chuck-eye steak:

You can see the crust forming. Yes, you burn the butter in the process. It doesn't smell great cooking, but the butter is all discarded and you end up with an amazing crust on the steak, as so:

jr@macNicholas_23R-Carpenter
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Doesn't look like it I know, but that was medium :)
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • What a coincidence - my Sunday dinner was a similar prep - only I use a 50/50 mix of butter and rendered pork fat for searing:

Aged strip steak - carved off primal cut all by myself. 
    JasonPNicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • Oh I also did a Tri-Tip a few weeks ago:

JasonPR-CarpenterNicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • Just fired up the smoker. Gonna smoke a 4.6 pound pork butt today.  And it's snow right now  =)
    jr@macJasonPNicholas_23
  • Did a duck breast recently. Makes a nice dinner for two.
    The fat from that thing provided cooking bliss for another couple of days. 

PWRRYDjr@macJasonPNicholas_23kennyk
  • I smoked this pork butt yesterday and pulled it this morning.  Two huge tupperware's full of tasty pork.  No sauce required!

jr@macNicholas_23R-Carpenterkennyk
  • Did you use a rub Craig or leave it naked ?
  • Just a basic rub:  bown sugar, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper.
    jr@mackennyk
  • It took just over 12 hours.

• De-boned leg of lamb, seasoned and ready for the broiler tonight. 
    Silver1omoS7910kennyk
    I have a signature.