Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• We had gorditas today, almost the same, but did not take a pic.

Nicholas_23
  • @6thplanet said:
    Not steak, but holds the cutters. Great project for some scrap wood ya got laying around.
    (Image)

This is sweet! Gonna make one for Mrs.

6thplanet
  • I love papusa's! We had a Salvadorian restaurant on my street, I used to get tacos from there, then saw a pupusa, was like what's that? Got one, frickin awesome!! Now I make them at home, but haven't tried replicating that slaw. You got me wondering.....👍🏻

Nicholas_23
  • Brisket, beans, and corn bread today! Had to cut the brisket down as it was too big for the kettle :)

Nicholas_23jr@macJasonPPWRRYD
  • Harry Soo showed how to bend a brisket to fit in a bullet smoker at 12 minutes

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails

• Silver1omosquamishdroctajanesNicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • Got a deal on a hog from a hutterite colony west of town. Decided to make some bacon with one of the two sides I got. Wasnt too difficult to make , just hurry up and wait while it cures. Brown sugar , salt , pepper and a little curing salt. Set in the fridge for 7 days then low and slow smoked to 150 degrees with hickory.

jhollandersquamishdrocR-CarpenterPWRRYDGowajr@mac
  • Shrimp was on sale at the grocery store so picked some up. Made a big bowl of cocktel de camarones ( shrimp cocktail )

R-CarpenterSilver1omo
  • Today I made churros.

jr@macPWRRYDR-CarpenterJasonPsquamishdrocNicholas_23D1PP1N
  • I just fired up my smoker.  Big storm is coming but I don't care.  Gonna smoke four medium sized pork tederloins.  My personal rub receipe is slowly evolving.  Now more brown sugar and smoked paprika and less onion and garlic powder, and less salt and black pepper.  I like the newer flavor and the wife and kids don't complain about it being too "spicy" or too "hot" (I use to use some ceyenne and chilli pepper).  
  • That storm is currently dumping a ton of white shit on us.

I have a signature.
  • it stared an hour back here

• Stay safe my midwest audio brothers.

• Just finished clearing the driveway, looks about 6".

I have a signature.
  • Was gifted some of my favorite disteller rye and a steak for Christmas, took the afternoon to prepare and enjoy. Was possibly the best steak I've ever had.

jr@macJasonPjhollanderPWRRYDSilver1omosquamishdroc
  • @joeybutts said:
    Was gifted some of my favorite disteller rye and a steak for Christmas, took the afternoon to prepare and enjoy. Was possibly the best steak I've ever had.

That looks amazing!

jr@macNicholas_23D1PP1N
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."

• One of my favorite places to window shop.

JasonPjhollanderSilver1omokennyksquamishdrocNicholas_23ThumperTome6zion
    I have a signature.
  • My favorite diet thread.

PWRRYDjr@mac
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • @Silver1omo said:
    Today I made churros.

Is the nino confused?

D1PP1N
  • His mouth is stuffed ;)

PWRRYDNicholas_23JasonPkennyk
  • Valentines dinner. Prime filet mignon wrapped in bacon, rock lobster, baby carrots in a maple citrus glaze, and some cheesy bacon potato puffs I whipped up.

Reverse sear the filets, used my torch for the final color. Medium to medium rare. The tails I broiled at stupid high temp for a few minutes and added some color with the torch, as long as I was running a flame thrower in the kitchen.

The potato puffs are a blast. I shredded some potatoes, blanched them in some boiling water, squeezed the shit out of them through a towel, added a couple beaten eggs, a tablespoon of flour, a couple handfuls of shredded cheese (shred your own - make America grate again), some bacon crumbles, onions, salt, and white pepper. Ball 'em up, freeze them, fry them in some peanut oil.

It was a good night, quite possibly the best steak I have eaten.

Silver1omosquamishdrocjhollanderkennykjholtz
    I have a signature.
  • I like the idea of those potato puffs!

• Picanha from last night:

Served it with a vegetable soup consisting of a veggie broth, buckwheat groats, some TVP for extra protein and fiber, peas, carrots, corn, tomatoes.

Yes, I eat TVP from time to time. I used the buckwheat because I am trying to expand my diet - and buckwheat is also a complete protein much like the TVP. Generally speaking, about 2-3 days a week I go meatless in my diet. It isn't out of any motivation other than my stomach appreciates a lower fat meal more often than not. The older I get, the more it seems fatty foods flare up my indigestion. I can see a point in the not so far future where I may have to abandon all but very lean meats, so I have been taking some time over the last few years to experiment with various other protein sources. The TVP is a fun ingredient, and while it definitely does not taste like a delicious dead animal, it does offer a great flavor carrier and some nutritional benefits above and beyond protein and fiber.

Anyways - here's to eating as varied and colorful a diet as you can!

kennykD1PP1N
    I have a signature.
  • P.S. - the buckwheat is delicious. I will likely not use barley as the "grain" base in my vegetable soups in the future. actually, the TVP flakes would serve that purpose just as well.

I have a signature.
  • 8oz Filet w/ Kosher salt. Not cheap but was the best filet I have probably ever had. Perfectly done, perfect flavor. Republic Chophouse in Green Bay. Very impressed.

jr@mac

• Some ribeye sous vide at 130 for about 4.5 hours. Cheesy hash browns, fresh biscuits, and asparagus. Halloween dinner, had the daughter and her boyfriend over.

I have a signature.
  • How do you do the sous vide?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I love to look at these beautiful pictures of steak, but if I look too long I can feel my arteries hardening. :o

• @jhollander said:
    How do you do the sous vide?

Some amazon's sous vide cooker IIRC.