Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• @jhollander said:
    How do you do the sous vide?

Bag the meat with my Foodsaver and I use a stainless pot and a sous vide stick I bought on Amazon for about $80.

It's a pretty awesome cook method. Today I am doing a leg of lamb.

I have a signature.

• Some handmade/knife cut pasta to go with the meatloaf.

• Silver1omokenrhodessquamishdrocSteve_LeeS7910R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • ...so that's the McRib secret

Steve_Lee
  • 4.5 lb boneless prime rib roast rubbed down and going into the fridge until Sunday . Merry Xmas to all

Silver1omokenrhodesSteve_Leejr@macR-Carpenter

• Prime filet mignon.
    Cooking two tonight.

I have a signature.
  • ^ My favorite - seared over burning hickory wood chunks . . .

• Nicholas_23Steve_LeehifisidetajanesPWRRYDsquamishdrocrjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Oh my! bet it cut like budda

• Going to offer up my favorite cut of beef when it is available: Petite Shoulder aka Teres Major is like a mini tenderloin, and generally far more affordable. The trick is to find a butcher who does it. It may be an odd shape, but it is positively delicious.

"This is the second most tender steak on any head of beef, coming close behind filet mignon. It's not due to a lack of flavor, either. Cuts from the chuck section are known for packing a nice rich, beefy flavor" I typically grill it, or cast iron, then finish in the oven.

Steve_Lee
  • Make sure you guys bring enough for the whole class !

Steve_Lee
  • Served with a Catena Malbec, 2019 vintage.

R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • Sliced sirloin with swiss, onion, and red pepper on a hoagie roll (can't call it a Philly - that will start an entire conversation about "authenticity") and home made French fried taters.

Silver1omokenrhodesjhollander
    I have a signature.
  • Red curry with shrimp, Anaheim peppers and spinach.

kenrhodessilverD6thplanetsquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • Red shrimps in cream and white wine sauce served over black bean noodles. Also our cool dinner table candle holders.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • Rubbed down and ready to go.

Three hours in.

hifisidekenrhodesSteve_Leesquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • edited May 2023

Just learned about meat tempering. I always wondered how a good restaurant steak could get that even level of doneness throughout. Stupid simple concept that I never really thought too much about. I'll let the meat warm for a little bit but it seems I'm not waiting near long enough.

I wonder if those times when I get meat to turn out perfect was mostly because I had just got it at the store and it never made it back in the fridge before it hit the heat. All that time in the cart, then in the car, and prepping everything else. Could easily be warming for an hour or more.

tajanessquamishdrocR-Carpenter
  • Just finishing up smoking a big pork tenderloin. Gonna throw a few twice baked potatoes in the smoker while the tenderloin rests. Happy Mother's Day to you all tomorrow.

• edited May 2023

@DrewsBrews said:
    Just learned about meat tempering. I always wondered how a good restaurant steak could get that even level of doneness throughout. Stupid simple concept that I never really thought too much about. I'll let the meat warm for a little bit but it seems I'm not waiting near long enough.

I wonder if those times when I get meat to turn out perfect was mostly because I had just got it at the store and it never made it back in the fridge before it hit the heat. All that time in the cart, then in the car, and prepping everything else. Could easily be warming for an hour or more.

A method that will yield the best potential for close edge to edge medium rare would be to step up to a sous vide and hotass sear. I recommend avocado oil as it has a smoke point in the 500 degree range.

You can pick up the sous vide sticks off Amazon for around $50-100. They can be used for phenomenal mashed potatoes, vegetables, boiled eggs, etc. It is a dry low temperature method which helps preserve nutritional content of the food being cooked. If you have a vacuum sealer (another indispensable tool IMO) the sous vide results are even better.

I am cooking filet mignon today since the wife loves that cut and it is mamas day. I am somewhat indifferent to it since IMO the flavor profile is just not that exciting. Very tender, of course - but so is a ribeye or a hanger steak. If you can find a hanger, damn that was surprising how tender it was along with the really deep beef flavor like the chuck offers.

Anywhoo mmmmmm steak. I only eat beef like once a month so I always look forward to whatever I am cooking with it. Braised short ribs or chuck "tender" are a treat for me, so is good old ribeyes (I buy a loin every once in a while and cut my steaks out of it) and burgers. Love me a good old fashioned burger and fries, probably my favorite food. Wish that dish wasn't so calorically dense lol.

I have a signature.
  • Wife found a ham (bone in) on sale for cheap the other day so on the kettle it goes! Dressed with a honey/Dijon sauce.

PWRRYDjr@mackenrhodesSteve_Leetajanes
  • @squamishdroc said:
    Wife found a ham (bone in) on sale for cheap the other day so on the kettle it goes! Dressed with a honey/Dijon sauce.

Plus one for off set cook and some smoke chips !! Low and sow ?

squamishdroc
  • @Nicholas_23 said:

^^^ what a serendipitous statement!

• edited May 2023

@Nicholas_23 said:

@squamishdroc said:
    Wife found a ham (bone in) on sale for cheap the other day so on the kettle it goes! Dressed with a honey/Dijon sauce.

You bet! Turned out amazing! Grilled a bunch of pineapple after - am having a ham and pineapple sandwich right now on homemade sourdough - so good!

kenrhodeshifisidejr@mac
  • I've really slowed down on the cooking the last year or so - still working on some weight loss. If I hit my reach goal I'll cook a bigass steak and eat the entire thing.

I have a signature.
  • Woke up way too early yesterday morning to throw a brisket point on the smoker

jr@machifisidetajanessquamishdrocPWRRYD

• Whipped up a curry for my birthday.

kenrhodes6thplanetR-CarpenterS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Happy Birthday my Brother!

jr@mac
  • I do love a good curry and happy B'Day, JR.

jr@mac
  • edited June 2023

Steak related.
    As some of you guys know, I moved to rural area in upstate NY. Pretty close to Lake Ontario ( brownish sky today because of forest fires in Canada).
    There's a lot of deer around. I am tossing the idea around about getting crossbow (permit, license etc) and a freezer. Is it worth it? Anyone has good experience cooking venison? There are local butchers that will process deer too.
    Any suggestions? I've done quite a bit of conventional meats but not wild game.
    Ohh, and Happy Birthday JR!

• Not a fan of the flavor of steaks or burger because it's so lean. Mix it with stuff like pork for sausage, hot sticks, chili, spaghetti, and I can eat it. Use the freezer for the occasional deer and side/ quarter of beef.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails