Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adult Refreshments

Comments

• Still good.

jr@macjhollandersquamishdrocR-CarpenterJasonP
  • @Silver1omo said:

Still good.

Always a good one👍👍

• I like this.

jr@macjhollandersquamishdroc
  • @Silver1omo said:

I like this.

They make some good beer!

• edited February 2021

Great Canadian beer! I haven't bought any Unibroue in a long time, it's fairly pricey for what is essentially craft beer from the other side of the Country. That said, I don't think I've ever had beer from Quebec that wasn't great.

(Canadian made in Quebec, owned by Sapporo)

I'm still trying all the local flavours, today it's Toasted Coconut Black Lager. Not very prominent on coconut flavour, I'm getting mostly chocolate and coffee, but no complaints as it's very well balanced.

squamishdroc
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Woo a day off! Let's Celebrate!
    Back in SK I used to get an "Oyster Stout" that I really liked, this beer really reminds me of that, but a bit less salty I think.

squamishdroc
  • It was... Ok.

I have a signature.
  • @dcibel said:
    Great Canadian beer! I haven't bought any Unibroue in a long time, it's fairly pricey for what is essentially craft beer from the other side of the Country. That said, I don't think I've ever had beer from Quebec that wasn't great.

(Canadian made in Quebec, owned by Sapporo)

I'm still trying all the local flavours, today it's Toasted Coconut Black Lager. Not very prominent on coconut flavour, I'm getting mostly chocolate and coffee, but no complaints as it's very well balanced.

The salted porter from Field House is a good one too.

dcibel
  • @Silver1omo said:

I like this.

Love me some Unibroue

• Another local

squamishdroc

• Has anyone had this? It's like liquid cinnamon candy that'll fuck you up. First off I'm not a drinker, all booze tastes freaking horrible and never understood what people like about any of it. This stuff, man, this stuff is dangerous. I first became aware of it back in the teen years when we all start experimenting with such liquors and what not. A buddy's older brother went with us on an expedition to aquire alcohol. As a joke we bought it for the name. Little did I know it'd be my drink of choice for a few years. To me it's like those Brachs cinnamon candies in liquid form that will straight get you bent. Anyway....I soon found pot around the same time and it became my drug of choice and so ended my alcohol adventures. So fast forward 20+ years later, 4 years ago I had my last dance with Mary Jane for a real job again (yes, Bose) and on a whim of wanting to get a buzz I found an old friend. New year's Eve I found a liquor store that actually had it. It's everything I remember it was. Needless to say it didn't take to much to enjoy the ball drop that night. I totally recommend it if your into that sorta thing. Oh and I know HotDamn (not as potent) and Goldschlager (not as smooth) are similar, they are not the same.

jr@mac
  • ...and the truly fucking crazy part of that whole thing is this text that happened that night....

...it totally blew our minds.🤯

jr@mac
  • I keep a bottle of cinnamon flavored Jack Daniels in the bar.

I have a signature.
  • The AWA bought some vanilla Jack for cooking. To me, it tasted like drinking vanilla flavoring straight out of the bottle. I can see where that stuff might be good for mixed drinks, but straight, nope, not me.

• That's what I thought about Kirkland spiced rum - spiced with vanilla extract and nothing else.

• I had mentioned the Fire Water before to my wife. She likes certain wines and on a run she brought back a bottle of Fire Ball, was like....is this the stuff you were talking about? I did try it, but YIKES! Again, alcohol is not my thing. She now knows the difference😉

• Fire Ball is ass.

I have a signature.
  •  John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited February 2021

Ass, yes. It went home with my nephew in law. One other item I found yesterday...

Huge Maiden fan, not so much for the beer, which to me tasted like beer...🤮 Need to find all the other brews. Anyone tried any of them? They're made by Robertsons Brewery.

jhollandersquamishdrocdynamo
  • In Oz, we had a beer called "Piss"; it used to be a slang word for beer, but the moniker has fallen from use, thank goodness.
    The low alcohol version was called "Piss Weak":

Actually both beers were quite nice 'craft' beers with a bit of character.

Geoff

• I was always told Fosters was Australian for piss :p

Silver1omoPWRRYDdynamo
  • Given the rate at which I see people slam it as shots I am not surprised. Go into any liqour store and there are little bottles at the register, you can buy a gift basket containing a bunch of the little bottles, and in general it has really moved into probably the number one whiskey "shot" in addition to it being one of the top selling whiskies in general.

I guess I don't mind the occasional shot of the shit when with friends, but it really isn't very good. The Jack Fire offers a similar cinnamon flavor profile while also retaining some of the undertones of the corn liqour. I find it relatively well balanced.

I have a signature.
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    In Oz, we had a beer called "Piss"; it used to be a slang word for beer, but the moniker has fallen from use, thank goodness.
    The low alcohol version was called "Piss Weak":

Actually both beers were quite nice 'craft' beers with a bit of character.

Geoff

I had some good craft beers when I was in WA last year. I will say the price of a 6 pack vs a 24 definitely encourages one to buy in bulk - but of course the more you see the more you drink 😜 It is funny that a strong beer there is 5-6% - my friends couldn't believe that we drink 8-9% beer here on a regular basis.

• I can't stand the stuff. I'm liking more of the higher proof bourbons. Favorite right now is Blue Note single barrel at 127 proof, but it's supper smooth after it gets some air.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Generally, people do not think of 120 as being smooth, but it can be.

• @jhollander said:
    I can't stand the stuff. I'm liking more of the higher proof bourbons. Favorite right now is Blue Note single barrel at 127 proof, but it's supper smooth after it gets some air.

I just cracked my bottle of Blanton's - a really great bottle of bourbon! Best I have had so far.

• @dcibel said:
    I was always told Fosters was Australian for piss :p

Fosters is awful, insipid 'near beer'; I haven't drunk it for about 30 years! And people indeed used to refer to it as 'piss'.

Geoff

• @squamishdroc said:

I just cracked my bottle of Blanton's - a really great bottle of bourbon! Best I have had so far.

That stuff has been unobtanium for 2 years. We use to get it through a raffle but even those are gone now. I'm not overpaying as there are to many others.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited February 2021

Pretty sure I've seen Blanton's on the shelf locally here, don't recall the cost but it had a price tag.

Took a chance on another Canadian flavour, only because it comes from the same company as the Lot 40 Rye that I really liked. This one is a rum finished whisky, rather sweet and very powerful molasses flavour reminiscent of a dark dark rum, Gosling's Bermuda Black comes to mind. I like dark rum so this is pleasant, but not very complex.

squamishdroc
  • No bottle for this one. A nice double IPA I made with El Dorado, Citra, and Mosaic hops. Super fruit forward with a good malt backbone and a nice amount of bitterness.

Also probably getting into this later tonight.

dcibelSilver1omojhollanderjr@macsquamishdrockennykdynamoJasonPjoeybutts