Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2022

Comments

• edited October 2022

@Wolf said:
    I see Scooter use the same mid and tweet that Bill did in the Totally Flat design. How did those sound?
    I hear the lx521 design was not impressive, I'm also curious about the A26 design with the cat 378 how did those sound?
    I guess I need to get out that way again and maybe meet this Brad person everybody talks about. His stuff just looks phenomenal.

I thought these really sounded good, nice and "airy" on top with a smooth, wide open midrange quality. But I am biased, seeing that I used the same tweeter/mid combo. What model woofer was used on these?

• edited October 2022

Also spent quite a bit of time talking to George about the Radian (B.G.), Faital drivers (he could really talk your arm off). I like the design of these drivers with no ugly pop rivets. Per George, the bigger one can be crossed as low as 250Hz, making for a fantastic high end WMTMW.
    Here is a pic of the big one:

jhollander6thplanet
  • @jhollander said:

@MartyH said:

One last thing - John H, I found a cd in the JVC. It's labeled 'Omni Mic CD'. If you'd like I'd be happy to mail it to you.

Again, thanks all!

Marty, if it's the original and not a copy let me know I'll want that back. Sorry to hear about your tweeter. I enjoyed your speakers.

John, it's a copy.

jhollander
  • I have started working on the videos... about 9 hrs worth...! I was stopping and starting recording, so that I don't end up with a giant video file that my laptop would barf at...

Anybody has any notes regarding speaker names / designer / drivers? Would be really great to add some details to video description. There would be a bunch of smaller videos since youtube won't let me upload anything over 15mins (new / low subscriber account). And smaller videos are anyways easier to manage and consume.

I'll start uploading in a couple of days as I sort these out.

thanks Tom for your expertise, tips and help. I'll be ready for streaming next time, hopefully - Still a few challenges and hurdles to cross!

• @4thtry said:

@Wolf said:
    I see Scooter use the same mid and tweet that Bill did in the Totally Flat design. How did those sound?
    I hear the lx521 design was not impressive, I'm also curious about the A26 design with the cat 378 how did those sound?
    I guess I need to get out that way again and maybe meet this Brad person everybody talks about. His stuff just looks phenomenal.

I thought these really sounded good, nice and "airy" on top with a smooth, wide open midrange quality. But I am biased, seeing that I used the same tweeter/mid combo. What model woofer was used on these?

The woofer is the SB Acoustics SB15SCFR39-8. Both Madisound and Meniscus carry it. Parameters work pretty well either sealed or vented. I ran them sealed in about 0.5 cu. ft (14 liters). Mine were a door prize courtesy of Meniscus a few years ago.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited October 2022

I really liked them Scott.

• I think that's the first time I've ever seen or heard Eaton drivers. What size were those Marty? 12's?

• A few people asked about the demos and details from the event. I'm still enjoying the last day of my vacation but later this week I'll upload them to share, PM me on this forum is you want to details to download them.

Glad everyone had a good time! It was good to see everyone again after so long, and so many amazing speakers - holy cow!

In regards to the first Eton, maybe Wolf can recall the details but I think I remember at InDIYana years back hearing a speaker someone shipped to the event. It had the SEAS DXT tweeter and smaller Eton symphony woofer. Unless I'm mis-remembering

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • @ScottS said:

@4thtry said:

@Wolf said:

The woofer is the SB Acoustics SB15SCFR39-8. Both Madisound and Meniscus carry it. Parameters work pretty well either sealed or vented. I ran them sealed in about 0.5 cu. ft (14 liters). Mine were a door prize courtesy of Meniscus a few years ago.

I couldn't find them looking for that part number. I found them on the Meniscus site without the "-8" in the part number. Do you know what your F3 was?

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-sb15sfcr-39/

Ron

• Memory only partially failed, it was an Eton hex hexacone woofer and it was 2014:

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Nick had a build he brought to DDIY a number of years using that same Eton woofer. Had a German tweeter, as well. Mister Schmidts he named them.

I have a signature.
  • I know Bogdan had a huge 3way at MWAF once with an 11" Eton woofer, around 2006.
    Those 2ways above were Todd England's in 2014, sounded great!
    PaulK used the older 22mm tweeter and 2" midrange in his TriLangle II design around 2006.
    Of course Marty used an Orchestra series woofer, and I think I've seen another one used somewhere recently.

• It was likely Nick's.

• @jr@mac said:
    Nick had a build he brought to DDIY a number of years using that same Eton woofer. Had a German tweeter, as well. Mister Schmidts he named them.

Yes sir , Fritz hit me up and sold them to me , couldnt justify the price of new ones so snagged them up . Always wanted to hear them . Jonny did his xover work on them .

jr@mac
  • @Ron_E said:

@ScottS said:

@4thtry said:

@Wolf said:

I couldn't find them looking for that part number. I found them on the Meniscus site without the "-8" in the part number. Do you know what your F3 was?

https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-sb15sfcr-39/

Ron

It was right around 60 Hz.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @jr@mac said:
    Nick had a build he brought to DDIY a number of years using that same Eton woofer. Had a German tweeter, as well. Mister Schmidts he named them.

OK, now I remember those!

Steve_Leejr@mac
  • edited October 2022

<3

Bwahahaha!! ^

• Didn't Seth Horton do a 4 inch Eaton 2-way?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @Wolf said:
    Oh, the A26/CAT378 was Maynard's design!? I have no doubt it was listenable then. Maybe Maynard ought to come up for InDIYana 2023 and reshow those beauties...

Ben, I'll bring them over. Post a link to your planning thread.

• I built 3 way actives many years ago that are all Eton drivers. Still using them and still love them.

ScottSJasonPhifiside6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • I remember seeing the images of those AGES ago, as they looked very good.
    Now I know who built them!

• Big thanks to the organizers. I had a great time.
    Also liked Scott Sehlin's quip about my "snake oil infused" speaker finish. LOL

• @jhollander said:
    Didn't Seth Horton do a 4 inch Eaton 2-way?

Not that I can recall.

• @maynardg said:

@Wolf said:
    Oh, the A26/CAT378 was Maynard's design!? I have no doubt it was listenable then. Maybe Maynard ought to come up for InDIYana 2023 and reshow those beauties...

Ben, I'll bring them over. Post a link to your planning thread.

https://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/1488510-indiyana-2023-theme-initialization
    It'll be good to have you at this event again, Maynard!

• @ani_101 said:
    I have started working on the videos... about 9 hrs worth...! I was stopping and starting recording, so that I don't end up with a giant video file that my laptop would barf at...

Anybody has any notes regarding speaker names / designer / drivers? Would be really great to add some details to video description. There would be a bunch of smaller videos since youtube won't let me upload anything over 15mins (new / low subscriber account). And smaller videos are anyways easier to manage and consume.

I'll start uploading in a couple of days as I sort these out.

thanks Tom for your expertise, tips and help. I'll be ready for streaming next time, hopefully - Still a few challenges and hurdles to cross!

Thanks, Ani. Can't wait to see the videos. If you hurry, you can beat Tom before he has a chance to post the videos that he shot at last year's IowaDIY! :) (just kidding, Tom). I have pictures of all the tent cards, so if you need speaker "names / designer / drivers" just let me know and I can send you the data. In the next few hours, I'll be posting pictures of the speakers that have not been posted yet by JR, Ron, or Tom. I'll include some tent card info as I go along. Bill

• edited October 2022

I love seeing videos of guys presenting their speaker projects... until I see myself :#
    I guess that's why I chose to be the guy behind the sound board instead of the guy up on stage ;)

• Thanks Tom and Ani for all your hard work.

• @PWRRYD said:
    I love seeing videos of guys presenting their speaker projects... until I see myself :#
    I guess that's why I chose to be the guy behind the sound board instead of the guy up on stage ;)

I just went through all my pics and noticed that the only speaker missed by JR, Ron, and Tom was Wolf's Nephlia's. So I'll post a new pic of that one. I have several "humorous" type shots of guys presenting their speaker projects, so I will post a few of those. Plus I have a shot of Bryan photo-bombing the photographer that you will have to see to believe.

• edited October 2022

Here is Robert Clark's presentation of Wolf's Nephlia speakers. He purchased them from Wolf a while back and was selling them at a very reasonable price. I would have bought them because I really liked the sound (excellent soundstaging and airy, upper octave detail), but I did not have room for them in my car. These were the 1st place winners in the Speaker Design Competition >$200 category a few years back.
    EDIT: Jason P. is operating the music server in the background

WolfJasonP
  • @4thtry said:

Thanks, Ani. Can't wait to see the videos. If you hurry, you can beat Tom before he has a chance to post the videos that he shot at last year's IowaDIY! :) (just kidding, Tom).

I wasn't quite sure what to do with last year's videos. I only have the presenters and you can't even see the speakers in some of them. I scaled all the clips down from 4K to 1080 and gave them to Ani. I think he's going to put together a montage - hopefully with some stills of the speakers.