Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2022

Comments

• Have one for me. 2 if it's cold.

hifiside
  • @dcibel said:
    Grain, potatoes, fruit, it can all make vodka.

And sugar. Vodka may be a neutral, but most do indeed have a taste.

• Just landed in Des Moines, almost there.

• Steve_LeeBryan@MACSilver1omohifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Sorry I could not make it this weekend. Have fun. ... Jack

• Good sound, good conversation and good deals at the swap table equal a good time. Thanks again to the folks that made this happen.

Ron

Steve_LeeSilver1omojr@macjholtztajanesBryan@MAC
  • Had a great time again this year! A big thanks to JR, Bryan, & especially Jason, who bravely manned the music and toiled away sitting in the worst seat in the house for an entire day. Great discussions and stories - not all of them about speakers.

I tried to get some close-ups of each speaker and hope I didn't miss anyone.

6thplanetBryan@MAC
  • I see Scooter use the same mid and tweet that Bill did in the Totally Flat design. How did those sound?
    I hear the lx521 design was not impressive, I'm also curious about the A26 design with the cat 378 how did those sound?
    I guess I need to get out that way again and maybe meet this Brad person everybody talks about. His stuff just looks phenomenal.

hifiside
  • I have not heard the Devore speaker Maynard drew inspiration from, but I could easily live with his rendition on a long-term basis. They seemed to have a slightly different sound signature than most in the room. Maybe it's the 10" narrowed dispersion in the midrange shaping the off-axis response? I don't know, but I liked them. I bet he could be convinced to part with them for a tiny bit less than the $13K price tag of the Orangutan. ;)

Brad's OB.....that bass!!....Holy Crap!

jholtzBryan@MAC
  • We had a great time! BK and JP deserve the lions share of credit. All I really did was yell at everyone to be quiet now and then.

Thanks for the pictures, Tom.

I have a signature.
  • Oh, the A26/CAT378 was Maynard's design!? I have no doubt it was listenable then. Maybe Maynard ought to come up for InDIYana 2023 and reshow those beauties...

• You mean "over" not up. Manard lives in Iowa now.

• Another great Iowa! My favorite DIY. Thanks MAC for everything! And thank you to everyone who gave me feedback on my two designs. It has inspired me to take the GF180 to the next level as an MTM with a more appropriate box volume. Wish that tweeter was still available. Might have to switch to the beast mode...

jr@mac
  • Yet again, a bunch of great looking speakers!

• If those creations sound anything like the pictures look ... awesome.

• Thanks to the 3 Amigos for paying for the venue and running the show it’s always Appreciated. Thanks to everyone for the feedback on the OB 2.0.

Bryan@MACjr@mac
  • So, much fun was had by all (I think). I was the recipient of several unexpected acts of kindness - you know who you are, and I hope you know how much I truly appreciate it.

Mrs. JR and I want to extend our thanks for making her feel welcome in a room full of guys. I keep telling her we are inclusive - I think she is still pleasantly surprised at each one of these.

Bryan: thank you for your energy and don't sweat Saturday morning.

JP: I think I speak for everyone when I give thanks for running the front end for us - DAC snarl up Friday night notwithstanding. I knew you would figure that one out.

I received some positive comments on my builds. Thank you.

The venue is definitely the best in the business - not just the room itself. I love having this event here. I know it is on the costly side of things, but worth every penny. The proximity to restaurants, the isolation from the rest of the hotel, the swanky lounge area just outside of the room, and the plethora of other hotels in the immediate area all contribute to the experience. No need to book at the hotel proper if you do not want to. There are three others right there.

The weather was beautiful, to boot.

The >30mph winds buffeting me on my East to West portion of my travels home today really wore me out - but once I got the big Kia pointed north I saw my mileage creep towards 30mpg and things were considerably smoother.

I had a closing chat with Ani about potentially doing a Twin Cities DIY and Mrs. JR and I are already tentatively planning DakotaDIY next summer. See how it goes.

jholtzBryan@MAC
    I have a signature.
  • edited October 2022

Extra fun this time. It was laid back with more breaks and talking. Nice seeing JP, Maynard, and Marty back.

+1 to Bryan, JR and JP for organizing.

Bryan@MAC
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • @PWRRYD said:
    You mean "over" not up. Manard lives in Iowa now.

Oh, he's back in Iowa then. I thought he was still in Phoenix.

• Beautiful work guys!! I'll definitely make this show someday.

Bryan@MAC
  • I also had a good time and would like to thank Brian, Jason And JR for putting on the event and manning it.

Bryan@MAC
  • It was too long a time away. What a terrific event, and my thanks to the brain-trust for making this happen. So good to see all of you - I won't mention names because nobody deserves an accidental omission. Thanks to those who took the time to share feedback on my design and who appreciated my demo track.

On a sad note the Trooper Juniors didn't arrive home intact; something caused the speakers to shift and I lost a tweeter. I'll start the search for a replacement dome tomorrow, but seeing that TL closed up shop a few years ago it may be fruitless, I did find a new set on eBay, but $300...ouch.

One last thing - John H, I found a cd in the JVC. It's labeled 'Omni Mic CD'. If you'd like I'd be happy to mail it to you.

Again, thanks all!

Bryan@MAC
  • I had a great time reconnecting with some familiar faces, and some who had been away for a while. JR, JP, and BK each contribute something different and as a team have evolved DIY Iowa into a comfortable place for newbies and "seasoned" veterans to share their appreciation for the hobby and learn something new. I always look forward to this event and am never disappointed.

Maynard, Jim, and Dave were at the first DIY event I attended 18 years ago and it was great to see them still here. Dave, hopefully our Moms will get back in touch. Thanks for initiating that.

Marty sorry to hear about your tweeter damage. I have a pair of TL tweeters on the shelf, but they have the ceramic dome. PM me if that would be of any help...

Alexis, it was great that you made the trip back. I enjoyed learning more about you and hearing a lot of good music I wasn't previously familiar with.

Silver1omoBryan@MAC
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @MartyH said:

One last thing - John H, I found a cd in the JVC. It's labeled 'Omni Mic CD'. If you'd like I'd be happy to mail it to you.

Again, thanks all!

Marty, if it's the original and not a copy let me know I'll want that back. Sorry to hear about your tweeter. I enjoyed your speakers.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Marty, are you the first to bring a project sporting an Eton driver? Man, losing an NLA tweeter in transport sucks - especially in such a nice sounding (and looking) speaker.

jholtz6thplanet
  • Had a great time again this year, as usual. Thanks to BK, JR, and JP for all the time, effort, and dollars; it is much appreciated. Thanks, Tom, for the HP computer, I'm thinking about making it a dedicated measurement PC to backup my aging laptop. Thanks, Ani, for suggesting a potential Twin Cities event, that would be great. I got lots of great crossover design tips from JR, John H., Nick S., and Ron E. on how to improve a speaker's soundstaging and stereo imaging properties. Thanks, Craig, for the gold bug cardboard tubes, you will be seeing these tubes again on a future project. Missed seeing Curt C again this year, but glad to see and talk with Jim H. once again. Thanks to David for the super high-end Bozden CQ76B tweeters. These will make for an excellent sounding two way crossed really low. Marty, sorry to hear about the tweeter, these sounded excellent from where I was sitting.

Took about 900 pics this year with my cell phone. I'll get a picture disc to Bryan in a few weeks which will also include pics for Indy 2022 and MWAF(SDC) 2022 as well. Hope to see everyone again next year. Bill

Bryan@MAC