Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2022

Comments

• edited October 2022

Here are a couple pics of George presenting his high end MTMWW 3 way towers. He did not fill out a tent card, but I believe, from other discussions I had with him, that the tweeters were the Radian LT6 planar ribbons in a red waveguide. The two mids were Faital 6RS-140's, and the front facing woofers in two lower cabs were 9.5" SB Acoustics. One of the two lower bass cabs contained two side firing passive radiators, while the other lower bass cabinet was completely sealed. The small device in the last picture was a small wooden terminal that George used to apply pressure evenly across the speaker wires in an attempt to reduce the series resistance.

EDIT 10/30/22: Correction to drivers used. Per George, the tweeters were the newest version of the Radian LT3 mounted in a Radian Waveguide and painted red. The D'Appolito mid's were 5" Faital Pro 5PR160. And the woofers were 9.5" Satori WO25P in parallel.

EDIT: From left to right: George, Kelly, John H, Bryan K, Scott S, and Marvin S.

• edited October 2022

Bryan photobombs the photog:
    EDIT: From left to right: Dave E., Ron E., Kelly, Robert C., Bryan K., and Jason P.

This was Maynard's "Monkey Clone" two-way. Drivers: A26 and Morel CAT378:
    EDIT: Jason P., operating the music server in the background:

David H's (a4eaudio) "Lyvant" towers with new tweeter faceplates installed. Drivers were the GRS PT2522C, Dynavox LY901F, and DC200:
    EDIT: Jason P., operating the music server in the background:

• I know it might be a bit of work, but as I'm from Oz, and read this Forum regularly, I'd really like to put faces to names. There's a photo earlier in this thread which shows the participants, would someone be willing to a make a list of the people, please? Not just for me, that would be selfish, but others around the US might be interested, too.

Thank you

Geoff

• It's me!

kenrhodesJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • @GeoffMillar said:
    I know it might be a bit of work, but as I'm from Oz, and read this Forum regularly, I'd really like to put faces to names. There's a photo earlier in this thread which shows the participants, would someone be willing to a make a list of the people, please? Not just for me, that would be selfish, but others around the US might be interested, too.

Thank you

Geoff

Sure, I can do that. I will edit the text in my posts above to include first name and last initial of each person shown in the frame. Bill

• @4thtry said:

Sure, I can do that. I will edit the text in my posts above to include first name and last initial of each person shown in the frame. Bill

Thank you Bill!

Geoff

• I want to say thanks to everyone, who's hard work made this event a success. It was good to see some folks that I hadn't seen for a bit. It was fun just hanging out the evening before the meet and it was good to see Jim Holt & Dave Ellis on Saturday.

I really enjoyed this year's offerings. Of those designs, I liked how the Linkwitz OB system handled the listening space (nice sound stage). There were several small speaker designs that also punched well above their weight on the demo tracks (the Ice Cubes & SB Micros come to mind). George's "work in progress" three-ways & Ani's active, dsp based four channel amp running his two-way offering also were promising. At the end of the meet, the Peerless "beast mode" tweeter's high SPL playback capability running in the 3.5-way OB and being really pushed hard by the Sampson amp on the "Barbie Girl" track was impressive. Most non-pro class drivers couldn't handle that program level running in that way. I was surprised that the $24 DX25's didn't really complain.

I spent a bit more time listening at the rear of the space this year and took some mini breaks out of the room to spare my ears. I'm glad that I did. All in all, a good time was had by all. Also a shout out to all the female attendees.

• edited October 2022

Marty brought his "Trooper Junior" speakers. Drivers were the TL NC26 tweeters, B&G Neo8 mids, and Eton 11-612 woofers. Excellent sound. Sorry to hear about the tweeter damage on the way home.

Ron E. brought his Krystal MTM's and played them with his new MCM 55-5670 concrete tubular bandpass subs (4th order), which were driven by Foster plate amps. The Krystal MTM's use the Neo3 pdr tweeters flanked by two NLA Peerless 830862 Nomex woofers. They sounded really good, the bandpass blended well with the Krystals from where I was sitting.

Kelly brought a pair of Siegfried Linkwitz LX521's. Drivers were the Seas H1396, H1658-04, 01004-04 and H1659-08. I thought the bass sounded very tight for an open baffle speaker, driver integration and stereo imaging seemed very good, although I heard later that some listeners did not seem to like them.

• edited October 2022

Brad S. (hifiside) brought his large (22" x 46" tall) "OB 2.0" project. Drivers were: 1) Tweeter "Beast mode" high end DX25BG60-04 modified to an open back configuration with a piece of felt over the back to protect it, 2) Mid section: 6.5" Maxfidelity (NLA), and 3) Low End: NLA Lanzar 15" and 18" woofers. Per Brad's facebook project pad post, the upper tweeter to mid xover appears to be approximately 2.3kHz. Don't know about the lower xover points. These speakers sounded fantanstic. And loud. They could really pack a punch. Some people say that open back speakers sometimes sound soft and muddy down low, but that was not the case with these speakers. The bass, from where I was standing in the back of the room, was tight, punchy and deep. Finish appears to be a highly polished metalic gold, picked out by Brad's wife.

From left to right: Kelly, Bryan K., George, Marvin S., Brad S., and Jason P.

• Bill, your photos look great as usual. For web consumption, the phone photos are definitely sufficient!

4thtryJasonP
  • edited October 2022

Ron E's 3D printed speakers. I could not find driver or xover data for these. They sounded good and looked much better in person compared to the photos. Photos tend to highlight the textured appearance from the 3D printing process.

From left to right: Ani, Ron E., and Jason P.

• edited October 2022

@4thtry said:
    Ron E's 3D printed speakers. I could not find driver or xover data for these. They sounded good and looked much better in person compared to the photos. Photos tend to highlight the textured appearance from the 3D printing process.

The drivers were:

Dayton TD20F-4 3/4" Tweeter
    Tectonic TEBM65C20F-8 3" Woofer

I think I crossed them at 4K.

Thanks for posting all the photos and captions Bill.

Ron

PS The bar stool in the background works really well as a speaker stand. My wife found 3 of them at Habitat for $30. There are a large variety on the market and many have square tops

• Nick S. (uglywoofer) "Carl & Stuart" speakers. These were the Fan Favorite and the 2nd place <$300 category winner at this year's Speaker Design Competition (SDC). The external driver was a DIY coax that Nick made using a Dayton RS100 woofer and a SB14 tweeter. The woofer was a Dayton DSA135 mounted internally in a bandpass configuration and vented out the rear end of the enclosure. Very impressive sound coming from such a small enclosure. Soundstage imaging was very good from where I was sitting. Beautiful cabinets and finishing work as well!!

• Brad S = (hifiside) on forum, Instagram and YouTube.

• "Barbie Girl" is Satan's tune and is still in my head. Thanks Amanda. ;)

Turn2JasonP
  • edited October 2022

Craig S. (PWRRYD) brought these prototype speakers. I could not find the tent card, so Craig will have to fill in the xover and driver details. EDIT: Name: JTS's (his son's initials). Drivers: Dayton GF180-4 woofer and MOQ Peerless DA25BG08-06 tweeter. Xover: 1400Hz LR4.

From left to right: Tom S., Jason P., and Craig S. (PWRRYD)

• Craig S. (PWRRYD) also brought the "Tre Stemmes" using all Peerless drivers. Good sounding combination.

• Thanks Bill! The prototypes are a little project I've been working on with my Son. He hasn't come up with a fancy name yet so I just called them the JTS's (his initials). They sport the Dayton GF180-4 woofers in 12 Liters. Those woofers would play much lower in a larger box, but then their power handling really falls off. Bryan abused the heck out of them with the Barbie Girl track and while they were starting to strain they never unloaded or bottomed out. Wheh! LOL

The tweeter is the MOQ Peerless DA25BG08-06. I crossed the drivers over very low, right at 1400 Hz LR4. That's where they melded together the best.

PS - The pictures make me look fat :#

jhollanderJasonP
  • Scott S. brought his "Racetrack 3-way" Drivers were the AMT Mini-8 tweeter, TEBM46 midrange, and SB15SCFR39 woofers. These sounded very good from my location, nice and "airy" on top with a smooth, wide open midrange quality.

John H. brought his "LR Mains" RST-28A tweeter and DSA115 mid/woofers.

• Tom S. brought his "SPs" (spare parts). It was a father/son project and his son did almost all the woodwork (with a little help from Dad setting up the saw and router). Per Tom the "Woofer = NLA Peerless 6.5" model 850122 (used from Ebay - $15each). Tweeter = NLA Dali buyout - it's a Vifa/Tymphany BC25TG15-04 (maybe $7 from PE many years ago). Cabinet = .5 CuFt tuned to around 47Hz (mostly leftover MDF from car subwoofer projects) Crossover = LR4 (well...mostly) at 2400Hz - 2nd order LP/3rd order HP with a LR series shelving filter to pull down the top octave. All surplus caps 1uf, .47uf tubular polyesters and 2.2uf Panasonics dipped polyesters."

• Ani's curvy translam 2-ways with active dsp crossover:

• For reference that is Scott Sehlin sitting between Dave Ellis and me in the back row of this picture.

• I liked Tom's SP's. I think he got the balance just right (after some Friday night surgery =) )

• JR's "Nemo" speakers using Motus/Viawave drivers. Very good stereo imaging and depth, which always seems to be the case with JR's speakers.

JR's "Sugar Cubes" using SB/Dynavox drivers. Speaker named by Mrs. JR. Again, good stereo imaging and depth perception, typical of all JR speakers.

• Marvin S's "SB Acoustics Micro" speakers. Sporting a very unique and interesting "snake oil infused" speaker finish (per Scott S.) See side closeup shot.

• Finally, here is a small speaker that I could not identify. There was no tent card. I'm sorry, but I have no idea as to who brought this one. I must have been out of the room when it was demo'd. The tweeter says "Polk Audio" along the bottom edge and the back has a label with the words "Monitor XT15".

jr@macJasonP
  • It's a Polk XT15 speaker that goes for $150 a pair that someone brought just to see how it compared to small DIY speakers. I think the consensus was that it was a pleasant sounding little speaker.

Ron

• I like how Marvin set the baffle off the box with the black screen spline. Serves a dual purpose - a seal for the baffle and aesthetic contrast. The fabric reminds me of cantaloupe...must be because I'm hungry right now.

• @Wolf said:
    That 8-in two-way on the floor sounded phenomenal too. 3/4-in Vifa Tweeter and I believe a DVC MCM woofer.

Would that be the "55-1455" 8" woofer?