Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2022

Comments

• Hi Dave, That was my design using the now NLA 55-2185 that Zaph had tested. Although I really liked those speakers, the cabinets were repurposed a few years ago and I tossed the baffles last month. I'm thinking I should try those woofers with the Beast Mode tweeters.

• Sorry for the dust on the Nemo.

I have a signature.
  • As fast as you build these things its a wonder they have time to collect dust at all, JR.
    Your XO work is renowned concerning imaging and sound-stage from all recent feedback.

• @Steve_Lee said:
    As fast as you build these things its a wonder they have time to collect dust at all, JR.
    Your XO work is renowned concerning imaging and sound-stage from all recent feedback.

This summer/fall was not normal for me as far as build rates go. Just got a wild hair up my ass for some reason and made a lot of sawdust.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Dust or not, those sounded excellent, JR.

• @Tom_S said:
    Dust or not, those sounded excellent, JR.

Thank you, sir. Been my go to in the Nerdery for over a year now. Although, those Sugar Cubes might get a spot in the rotation.

I have a signature.
  • I agree, both sounded great. I particularly enjoyed the Nemo.

• I thought the Viawave sounded spectacular.

Ron

• @Ron_E said:
    I thought the Viawave sounded spectacular.

Ron

Better than your Raaaaaaaals?

• Long live the Cherry Pi speakers! I still remember how wonderful they sounded.

• They were great.

• @PWRRYD said:

@Ron_E said:

Ron

It's hard to make a comparison. My system is a 3-way active system and JR's is a 2-way passive. That said, when I first heard a small 2-way with a Raal in Chicago, I just loved them. I had a similar reaction to JR's system. They were really clean and natural sounding.

Once my nephew gets done starting a family with a toddler and a baby, I'll be helping him with a system with a Viawave tweeter. Hopefully it will rival the Cherry Pi's.

Ron

• That's awesome Ron!

• @Ron_E said:

@PWRRYD said:

@Ron_E said:

Ron

It's hard to make a comparison. My system is a 3-way active system and JR's is a 2-way passive. That said, when I first heard a small 2-way with a Raal in Chicago, I just loved them. I had a similar reaction to JR's system. They were really clean and natural sounding.

Once my nephew gets done starting a family with a toddler and a baby, I'll be helping him with a system with a Viawave tweeter. Hopefully it will rival the Cherry Pi's.

Ron

You tell young Mr Brian I say "hi".

I have a signature.
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    Long live the Cherry Pi speakers! I still remember how wonderful they sounded.

I remember that as well. I think it was IowaDIY 2013 at the Harris Center. There was something very special about the sound of the Cherry Pi's. They played toward the end of the event, when my ears were starting to burn out after listening to the same tracks over and over and over again. Then, suddenly, this huge, 3 dimensional soundstage opened up. The viawave's have some of that same quality.

jholtz
  • Fellow DIY brethren..... It was beyond awesome to meet up with everyone again.... some folks we've not seen for awhile so it seemed even that much more awesome for me, personally, this year. Ten years ago JR and I started MAC as a DIY website to store pictures and, well, it certainly evolved quickly into what it is now and I gotta give a ginormous shoutout to @JasonP on the forum functionality because how else would you be reading this long winded post? ;) Also his innovative tech which is now an integral part of IOWA DIY is pure genius. We really missed you last year, bud.

@jr@mac and @JasonP -- thank you so much and happy 10th to MAC.

I'll post the house track info and a link for the hi-rez download soon. While I'm on the topic of demos I wanted to give everyone kudos on their most excellent demos. I found myself pulling up Shazam multiple times and sending myself notes.

Y'all know I don't go into a lot of details on the projects but I have to say I have a new respect and appreciation of OB designs. And I'm still kicking my ass on not hearing JR mention Roman's ribbon in his introduction. But as soon as the first track hit, I knew there was something very special going on. Duh.....pay attention Keane....You've heard the Taiga multiple times.

And to everyone... a heartfelt THANK YOU for your support in this year's hat and again to JR for helping to cover the conference room. Y'all rock hard.

Silver1omojr@macSteve_Lee4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • @jr@mac said:

You tell young Mr Brian I say "hi".

Brian who? My nephew's name is Justin.

Ron

• edited October 2022

3D BMR Playlist
    Chris Botti - No Ordinary Love.wav
    Eva Cassidy - Wayfaring Stranger.wav
    Pat Metheny - Rainy Days and Mondays.wav
    Stephane Grapelli - The Way You Look Tonight.wav
    The 4 Seasons - Sherry.wav

MCM Bandpass Subwoofer Playlist

Audiophiles rejoice Here is THX's revamped Deep Note intro.wav
    Bonnie Raitt - Blame It on Me.wav
    Boz Scaggs - Thanks to You.wav
    Fourplay - Chant.wav
    Lew Williams - In the Mood.wav

Lew Williams played the largest Wurlitzer theater organ in the world located at Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa AZ. https://organstoppizza.com/

You can find all my demo music hear. If you sort them by date you can easily find the most recent additions.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J5RB1JCTzgV63AFT6MWtif6WhMOClly2?usp=sharing

Ron

Steve_LeejholtzGeoffMillarJasonP
  • Thanks Ron! Your demo tracks are awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Jim

• https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHuPRQmBiX2h5AQaYuzFXklySVjNw?e=2HJ3Qx

My demo.

Second track is my favorite.

S7910
    I have a signature.
  • All ya'll need more female opera in your lists.

I have a signature.
  • Also, thanks for the kind words on my builds, guys.

I have a signature.
  • edited October 2022

Not a lot of opera but have at least 2 Faust on vinyl.

• edited October 2022

I forgot to post a couple pics and details of my own speakers. No name at this point. This is a 2.5 way using the Peerless Corundum DA32TX and two Dayton Esoteric ES180Tia-8's per side. Tweeter high pass is 1.0 kHz at 12dB/octave electrical & 24dB/octave acoustical. The upper woofer low pass is 1.0 kHz @ 12/24dB electrical/acoustical. The lower woofer low pass is 550Hz @ 12/24dB electrical/acoustical. Box is tuned to 30Hz with an F3 of 30Hz as well. Speaker is still a work in progress. Based on what I heard, the xover and/or baffle shape needs more work. The overall tonal balance in this room seemed good, the woofer alignment hit the low notes and sounded tight and punchy. And the high frequencies seemed balanced with the midrange. But there was something wrong with the soundstaging. They sounded flat and two dimensional. I could not listen into the soundstage at all. Going forward, I'm going to experiment with an oval baffle shape, move the xover higher, and improve the phase tracking. If an oval baffle works, I may name them "Oval-tweet", a take off on the classic malt drink called Ovaltine. :)

Steve_Leehifisidekenrhodes
  • @jr@mac said:
    Sorry for the dust on the Nemo.

What dust?
    Before:

After:

a4eaudiohifisidePWRRYDugly_wooferRon_EWolfSteve_Lee6thplanetjr@macScottSand 2 others.
  • Hi everybody.My name is George - I'm the guy with red painted tweeter on top of bass unit with two woofers. Small correction on drivers used for this system. Tweeter is Radian newest version of LT3 (improved BG Neo3) with Radian wave guide (wave guide was modified for back mounting and painted red). Mid range was 5" Faital Pro 5PR160 in D' Appolito configuration, but only one was hooked up because of high efficiency (originally woofer should be amplified) and finally woofers was 9.5" Satori WO24P in parallel. Crossover was build by John Van L. -owner of Chicago Speakersworks. I'm Radian and Faital Pro dealer and I will give 20% discount for anybody from Midwest Audio. 10" midrange planar from Radian is not on their website yet, but is pictured some place on this tread.

Steve_LeejhollanderScottSe6zion4thtryJasonP
  • edited November 2022

@4thtry said:

@jr@mac said:

What dust?
    Before:

After:

When @JasonP and I rolled up to the hotel this year, it was great to see familiar faces hanging out in front of the venue, including @4thtry Bill S. After a quick handshake and hug I asked him if he was gonna shoot the event. He said "yeah, right here, on my phone." I seriously thought he was joking. Well...... thank you, as always, Bill. Note to self: Don't second guess photographers. They know their tech.

4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • @Bryan@MAC said:

@4thtry said:

@jr@mac said:

What dust?
    Before:

After:

When @JasonP and I rolled up to the hotel this year, it was great to see familiar faces hanging out in front of the venue, including @4thtry Bill S. After a quick handshake and hug I asked him if he was gonna shoot the event. He said "yeah, right here, on my phone." I seriously thought he was joking. Well...... thank you, as always, Bill. Note to self: Don't second guess photographers. They know their tech.

Thanks, Bryan! I just finished up the picture DVD disc last night and will put it in the mail to you today. The disc includes separate folders for InDIYana 2022 (196 pics), MWAF 2022 (202 pics) and IowaDIY 2022 (249 pics). I did InDIYana with my full frame Nikon D800. But I snapped both MWAF and IowaDIY exclusively with an Android Galaxy S10.

Bryan@MAC
  • edited November 2022

IOWA 2022 House Track

Download here: https://app.box.com/s/yu1vstah51e2k7o7b1pogcs800stqy07

Artist - Title - Album (if applicable) -- YouTube link

1. Clanadonia - Tu-Bardh - Keepin' it Tribal --

2. Johann Pachelbel - Canon (four hands piano) --

***Check out how this is done with "four hands" --

1. Liane Foly - Au Fur Et À Mesure --

2. Ghost - Call Me Little Sunshine - IMPERA --

3. Keigo Hoashi and Keiichi Okabe - Dark Colossus (Kaiju) - NieR Automata OST --

4. NEFFEX - Retribution - (this is the royalty-free track) --

Enjoy.

Silver1omoSteve_LeeS7910
    My signature goes here