Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2022

Comments

• DM=Des Moines. Drake = Where his GF is going to school.

• Thanks for the translate cheesehead

• I'll be flying solo. Anybody willing to split room?

• I guess it has been 12 years since I've seen you or your son. Time sure flies.

• @MartyH said:
    I can't back out this year. Jaxon is coming to DM with me and his girlfriend is attending Drake. I don't have a choice anymore!

Marty it will be nice to hang again. The stars are in alignment. :)

My signature goes here
  • That time of the year already.

• You gonna be there Brad?

• @PWRRYD said:
    You gonna be there Brad?

Haven’t touched any DIY audio stuff all summer. But JR stopped by my shop yesterday and talked me into going lol. I have plenty of wooden cabinets with holes in them, I’ll bring something.

jholtzPWRRYDBryan@MAC
  • So for sure I will be bringing those little coffins I just finished (going to build some stands on Sunday for them). Pretty sure I will be bringing that SB/GRS build, as well. If PE released a nice ~4-5" driver I would use that, but that OEM SB driver is too nice not to use with a nice tweeter.

Probably a few drivers for the table - but to be honest I've been a good boy since the last several DIY events where I unloaded many things.

I have a signature.
  • @Silver1omo said:
    I'll be flying solo. Anybody willing to split room?

Second try.

• Hey Alexis. If you can't find a bunk mate ahead of the show, you're welcome to stay with me and JP. I would say hold off on booking the room and we will get this sorted either before the show or worst case, you stay with me & JP.

@Silver1omo said:

@Silver1omo said:

Second try.

My signature goes here
  • @Bryan@MAC said:

Hey Alexis. If you can't find a bunk mate ahead of the show, you're welcome to stay with me and JP. I would say hold off on booking the room and we will get this sorted either before the show or worst case, you stay with me & JP.

Thanks a bunch! I'll get the plane tickets.

Bryan@MAC
  • Hello everyone. I hope you had a fabulous Labor Day weekend. Please be sure to get your group reservations in. I was told there are approximately 7 rooms left in our $124.99/night hotel room group block.

Here's the link to reserve your group-rate room: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-rooms.16110.html?groupId=1I4AE0Z8

Less than two months away!!

My signature goes here
  • @Bryan@MAC said:
    Hello everyone. I hope you had a fabulous Labor Day weekend. Please be sure to get your group reservations in. I was told there are approximately 7 rooms left in our $124.99/night hotel room group block.

Here's the link to reserve your group-rate room: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-rooms.16110.html?groupId=1I4AE0Z8

Less than two months away!!

I’m booked. I get one night of sleeping under the tables this year BK.🍺

jr@macBryan@MAC
  • I'm also booked. Which night are you not sleeping under the tables?

hifiside
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I’m booked. I get one night of sleeping under the tables this year BK.🍺

This comes with a story?

• You coming this year Kornbread?

• My year was 2020. Four weeks of vacation and had everything in place to attend at least two meets that year ... we all know what happened in 2020.

Just took a physical, drug test, and back x-ray today. If everything looks ok, I'll start a new job in two weeks. It's local, better benefits, better retirement, growing company, room for advancement, much better pay, but extreme amounts of overtime, night shift, and no vacation for a year. Basically, I'll be living at work.

At my current factory, we have gone from a high of ~1500 around 10 years ago to ~100. No new business slated for out plant. No opportunities to advance, wages have not kept up with other employers, good chance the factory may not be around in a few years, and if you've ever worked in a place where most everyone expects the place to close, well, to put it lightly, morale is horrid. Most of the good workers have already left, which leaves us, for the most part, retaining the ones whom no one else wants. It's an all around bad situation.

Although I wasn't necessarily looking to move into a maintenance position, this opportunity came along ... if I pass the physical ... I think the logical move is to call it a game with my current employer of 34 years, and move along. Should know the results of the physical early next week.

It's sad, really. Finished my Masters in management in 19' with plans to move up within our company, and now I'm basically throwing away that education to start all over in maintenance, in a new company.

So no. I will be living at the new job. No vacation. I'll be lucky to see my family once in awhile.

Silver1omoSteve_LeeJasonP
  • Always stories. I've had some of the best DIY discussions after-hours. I love this community. Totally looking forward to doing it again.

@Kornbread said:

I’m booked. I get one night of sleeping under the tables this year BK.🍺

This comes with a story?

hifiside
    My signature goes here
  • Will make it to Iowa this year......

• JR, JP and I will start working on the house track this weekend. As we've done in prior events, the house track will be five minutes long. If you're presenting this year, please do the same for your demo track (five minutes of music).

We should have a new automated front end, but it's still being built by @JasonP, so too early to say for sure if it will be functional by showtime. This will dictate the media format of presenters' demo tracks -- either CD or thumb drive. Will provide an update in due course.

As always, if you're presenting and you do not have a demo, we will be happy to provide one for you.

Holy shit. We are almost one month away, people!! :)

Silver1omojr@macS7910
    My signature goes here
  • OK, I was going to bring the Tall Boys (dual RS 6.5" woofers, MB Quart dome mid, Apex Jr dome tweeter) but decided my two Dynavox designs will be showing up instead.

I have a signature.
  • Yay. Sugar Cubes!

@jr@mac said:
    OK, I was going to bring the Tall Boys (dual RS 6.5" woofers, MB Quart dome mid, Apex Jr dome tweeter) but decided my two Dynavox designs will be showing up instead.

My signature goes here
  • @Silver1omo said:

@Silver1omo said:

Second try.

Bump.

Anyone looking to split the cost of a room 50/50, please chime in. Alexis @Silver1omo is flying in from Texas to join us again. Last visit was Iowa 2015!! Anybody looking to save some coin?

My signature goes here
  • I will be landing in dsm Friday around 19:00. And fly back Sunday night.

• @Bryan@MAC said:

Hey Alexis. If you can't find a bunk mate ahead of the show, you're welcome to stay with me and JP. I would say hold off on booking the room and we will get this sorted either before the show or worst case, you stay with me & JP.

@Silver1omo said:

@Silver1omo said:

Second try.

I have a room reserved. My brother has first dibs, but if he can't make it, I have an opening. Downside (depending on your perspective) is that I am usually out late and up early.

Bryan@MACSilver1omo
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited September 2022

I’ve gotten a few inquiries from potential first-timers, so I’ll provide a more comprehensive event update for everyone.

Event Schedule and info:

Venue: Best Western Ankeny - 2502 SE Tones Drive, Ankeny, Iowa 50021
    Check-in 3pm – Check-out 11am
    https://tinyurl.com/4p7t7rjw

Schedule:
    Friday, Oct 21:
    The meeting room will be available Friday afternoon/evening and we will have laid back informal listening sessions and a meet & greet atmosphere. On this day there is no formal format. Typically we swap out equipment and speakers randomly, pull up some YouTube videos, etc……and hang out and chat. JP and I should be arriving around 2pm-ish. At prior events, folks have arrived earlier than that. If you do get there early, feel free to set up the meeting room for us. LOL.

Saturday, Oct 22:
    Showtime: Start- 9am / End- 4pm (we will break for an in-house pizza lunch around noontime)
    Formal presentations will take place on this day. Each presenter will be allowed a 15-ish minute time slot to set up and demo their project. This year’s house track is 5:15 and your demo should also be around 5 minutes long. The remaining time will allow you to chat about your project and field questions. We will be video recording the entire event.

After the formal presentations we will still have use of the meeting room. Most folks’ ears will be pretty well fried by then, but we will still rotate some speakers, play music, hang out, etc. In past years we have done some group dinners at local restaurants, but that gets planned the same day and is subject to availability at said restaurant…yada yada yada. Our local Iowa DIY bros always help with planning that.

Just like last year, we did not solicit any donations so there will not be a raffle. However, as always, there will be a swap meet table.

Admission is always free but donations are accepted to cover the cost of the event. The pumpkin will be in attendance for your generous monetary contributions, and TBH we will need some help this year.

Feel free to chime in here with questions.

Silver1omojr@macMartyH
    My signature goes here
  • edited September 2022

As is usual, my wife and I will be in early since we always make a nice trip out of it. We leave Thursday and find stuff to do on the way down. This year we are going through Templeton and plan on stopping at the distillery there. Yes, I know their product is largely made in Indiana. Not sure where we will stay that night but we usually arrive in Ankeny around 1PM.

Bryan, if you can confirm with the hotel that I am a duly authorized agent of MAC, her and I can start the process of moving furniture. Not sure what time you and JP will get there.

We can move this conversation off-line.

See you guys in a month!

PS: More of you need to bring the wives, sheez. Mine loves these things!

Bryan@MACSilver1omoTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • PS: More of you need to bring the wives, sheez. Mine loves these things!

End the sausage fest NOW!!!

jr@macBryan@MACSilver1omo