Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2022

Comments

• I think my wife would say she would rather have a root canal than hang out with a bunch of speaker geeks for more than an hour.

Bryan@MACSteve_LeeEd_Perkins
  • Mine likes to look around at the designs, see their different looks, but listening to the same 5min on all of them picking out details or differences does not sound like a fun day to her.

• edited September 2022

I don't really need to chime in here about the spousal units but why not? If you met my wife it was in 2015 at Chi-DIY or if you've ever bunked at my house. She ain't into this. And that's OK. That being said I applaud our DIY brethren who attend these events with family. I love it. It should happen more often.

My signature goes here
  • @Ed_Perkins we've got both samples downloaded. Thanks so much. I'm deferring to @JasonP because I'm a big dummy about this stuff.

My signature goes here
  • I'm getting excited about this one!

I have a signature.
  • My wife thinks of these events as a vacation. We stop at a few places, she gets a few nice diners out, goes shopping and hangs out a few minutes before the music starts.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • My wife thinks of these events as a vacation too. It starts when I leave and ends when I return. :)

PWRRYDjr@mactajanesjhollanderSteve_LeeBryan@MACKornbread6thplanetSilver1omoWolfand 2 others.
  • Any teasers on swap meet stuff? I won't have too much to bring, sadly.

I have a signature.
  • @Bryan@MAC said:
    @Ed_Perkins we've got both samples downloaded. Thanks so much. I'm deferring to @JasonP because I'm a big dummy about this stuff.

Hey Bryan,

Will you be downloading the entire house track? All I could download was the pink noise. Of course I'm not technically too astute so it may be there and I'm not seeing it.

• House track is done, but will not be made available until the weekend of.

I have a signature.
  • Re: House Track -- We are trying something slightly different this year. Allow me to explain. In past events, we have done live streaming, Facebook streams, YouTube videos, etc. It's all good for maybe a couple weeks after the show, but eventually the algos catch up and bombard us with copyright infringement complaints. This has been a major PAIN IN THE ASS since 2013. Thanks to @ani_101 for his suggestion to incorporate a royalty-free clip within this year's house track. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out which clip is the royalty-free one (good luck). Anyway........this will allow us to upload an edited archive of the event without the fear of copyright claims. Thanks again @ani_101

My signature goes here
  • @Ed_Perkins said:
    My wife thinks of these events as a vacation too. It starts when I leave and ends when I return. :)

You get all the internet points for this one, my friend. Well done mate.

tajanes
    My signature goes here
  • Rob Clark, aka Brian, aka @LifeOfBrian is looking to sell a Rockler HVLP - bnib.

He can bring to Ankeny if anyone is interested. Please see thread: https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/1992/hvlp-sprayer-kit#latest

My signature goes here
  • Hey guys. Does anyone know the whereabouts of our resident photographer, @4thtry ?? I've sent several emails with no reply and I'm starting to worry. He hasn't chimed in since June I believe. If anyone has a phone number for Bill S, please PM me.

My signature goes here
  • Funny you say that, JR was saying this same thing last weekend.

• He was at SDC in August and I can see his last visit to PETT was 9/5. Hope he's okay.

• I'm still alive. Thanks for the concern. Been operating in the lurker mode for the past few months, taking a break from the forums. Still on the fence about Ankeny, but I have a new project going that I may want to bring. I just ordered xover parts today and will probably be voicing it sometime next week. Bill

a4eaudiokenrhodeshifisideRon_ESilver1omoPWRRYDjr@macTurn2Bryan@MACWolf
  • This will be my first DIY Iowa since 2012. I was at the first some decades ago. ๐Ÿ˜‰

PWRRYDBryan@MACWolf
  • @maynardg said:
    This will be my first DIY Iowa since 2012. I was at the first some decades ago. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking forward to seeing you again, my friend!

• Dang it , now I need to see if I work that weekend. We need to take a picture of us old timers for posterity

• @maynardg said:
    This will be my first DIY Iowa since 2012. I was at the first some decades ago. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is fantastic news!! Welcome back man!

My signature goes here
  • @maynardg said:

Was that the year you brought your TL tower version of the Continuums? Wow it doesn't seem like it was a whole decade ago :o

jhollander
  • That was the first year MAC organized the shindig. Be glad to have you back with us, Maynard.

I have a signature.
  • Hi! Newbie here. I am planning on seeing everyone at Iowa 2022. Reservation made. I am learning. I will be there Friday and Saturday morning. I have a reception to attend in Omaha Saturday eve. I hope to listen to as many speakers as I can while I am there. I may be on the lookout for a pair of speakers to acquire to listen to, while I decide what to build. See you soon. Jack.

Steve_LeeSilver1omoBryan@MAChifiside
  • I plan to attend Saturday only. Presenting a small SB Acoustics 2way.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
    Marv

Bryan@MAC
  • Bryan,
    Will there be a disk spinner at the meet? I've got some music I want to listen to on Friday that are on CD's. If not, I'll bring mine along........

• I'll have a CD drive as part of the front end, I usually intend it more for ripping audio, but can't see why we couldn't use it to playback too.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited October 2022

@JasonP said:
    I'll have a CD drive as part of the front end, I usually intend it more for ripping audio, but can't see why we couldn't use it to playback too.

Is @jr@mac bringing the Oppo?

And BTW @ScottS is bringing the Samson amp but he will be arriving late night Friday. So I was planning to grab one of my Audiosource Amp Seven Ts to use in between.

Hoping @PWRRYD will have one of his tube amps in tow? What say you?

My signature goes here
  • @MarvinS said:
    I plan to attend Saturday only. Presenting a small SB Acoustics 2way.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again.
    Marv

Looking forward to it Marv!!

My signature goes here
  • edited October 2022

Don't know if I'll have enough room in my car to bring my large tube amp. I'm already bringing a pair of towers and a pair of large 2 way bookshelfs. Plus all the stuff JR bought in Grand Rapids lol