Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2022

Comments

• Yes. It may be seasonal, how much do you want?

They are a St. louis beer down the road from my gym

Hey @jhollander I sent you a PM. Thanks!

My signature goes here
  • edited October 2022

Make sure you get enough for everyone Bryan.

• Test.

kenrhodesSteve_LeeSilver1omoS7910
    My signature goes here
  • Dave , do you still have the huge speakers you called the " pledge " from years ago ? I think that was the name

Thanks for the note.

I vaguely recall the name and... probably not. These were probably the very large rock-n-roll speakers that proved inferior to a much smaller speaker Scott Sehlin constructed. I agreed that Scott's project was indeed better. The irony was that Scott used a tweeter that I sell :o . I sent the large ugly cabinets out with the trash a few months ago and will be using some of the drivers for another projects.

I did build another very large and heavy pair of speakers many years ago. These are probably still in Dennis Murphy's living room in Maryland. I don't think these speakers ever "visited" Iowa.

Sincerely,

• Will the digital source use a TOSLINK or USB output to a DAC ?

I would like to use the TOSLINK output and simply plug the cable into my DSP. I can use USB too.

I apologize for not seeing this if mentioned above/elsewhere.

Thanks !

• @MartyH said:
    The Mazda’s got a turbo, but that may be asking a bit much from it.

What, no longer using D Cells?

• @LifeOfBrian said:

@PWRRYD said:
    Huh, picture didn't work. I'll try again:

Looking forward to hearing these because.....

If you want to sell one pair of those PM me :)

• Marty - some Spotted Cow would be nice to have.

MartyH
    I have a signature.
  • Firetrucker brewery in Ankeny is a good local option. I had a chance to sample a number of their products at a recent beer tasting and none were disappointing.

Silver1omoTurn2
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • If anyone is interested, I just posted two pair of Bozhen CQ76B tweeters for sale in the classifieds. Shipping is pretty steep, but I will be in Iowa next week if anyone is interested.

(@jholtz - I know you have been interested in these but the absence of an authorized dealer has been somewhat of a deal breaker. Just wanted to make sure you saw this post.)

https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/2017/bozhen-cq76b-tweeters-nib-2-pair-available#latest

• @EllisAudio said:
    Will the digital source use a TOSLINK or USB output to a DAC ?

I would like to use the TOSLINK output and simply plug the cable into my DSP. I can use USB too.

Thanks !

@JasonP this made my head hurt. Can you weigh in? Lol. @EllisAudio -- Jason is the front end engineer.

My signature goes here
  • If I haul the big Oppo down, it has the Toslink of course. I believe it is the fiberoptic, not coax.

I have a signature.
  • @ScottS said:
    Firetrucker brewery in Ankeny is a good local option. I had a chance to sample a number of their products at a recent beer tasting and none were disappointing.

Confirmed locally.

• Turns out the Oppo has coax and optical outputs. I believe it needs to be configured as such since currently I use HDMI audio out and let the big Marantz do the conversion to analog. The Oppo has a very, very good DAC section as well.

I have a signature.
  • @EllisAudio said:
    Will the digital source use a TOSLINK or USB output to a DAC ?

Thanks !

We will have a couple front end options, but the core setup I'm bringing is Laptop -> USB -> DAC/Pre -> XLR Switch -> Amplifier. So I have you covered at USB at the core and perhaps with JR's Oppo too as an option.

Bryan@MAC
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Ima bring some copper for the swap meet table. Lots of heavy gauge air cores.

Steve_LeejhollanderhifisideSilver1omoScottSMartyH
    My signature goes here
  • Selling it by the pound? I'm in for a few. :) :) :)

Steve_Lee
  • @ugly_woofer said:
    Selling it by the pound? I'm in for a few. :) :) :)

I'll be honest. I have no clue what sort of prices to put on this stuff. I'm way out of touch. We'll figure it out at the show. I have been known to trade for beers.

Steve_Lee
    My signature goes here
  • nice stash of copper

• @Bryan@MAC said:

I'll be honest. I have no clue what sort of prices to put on this stuff. I'm way out of touch. We'll figure it out at the show. I have been known to trade for beers.

I know a guy bringing some :)

Bryan@MACSteve_Lee
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Fuck the copper, what's up with the bass cabs in back?🤘🏼

Steve_Lee
  • @6thplanet said:
    Fuck the copper, what's up with the bass cabs in back?🤘🏼

Those awesome bins were built by @jhollander ! They are now my son's. My two boys jam in the garage with their friends from time to time. In fact we got a noise complaint last night. Lol. No joke.

Steve_Leea4eaudio6thplanet
    My signature goes here
  • Hey guys can I ask for some help with a decent set of speaker stands for Saturday? Sorry for the late request.

My signature goes here
  • I have some sturdy bar stools I could bring. They're 2 ft. tall with 14x14" tops.

Ron

Bryan@MAC
  • I think I can squeeze my 24" tall stands in with everything else.

Bryan@MAC
  • Iowa 2010. My little Driscolls. My first Iowa and Wolf's last. I think it may have been Craig's first Iowa, as well.

Anyways, I will have the Oppo there if we need it. In addition to being pretty much a world class transport, video processor, and DAC it is a pretty damn good pre-amp, as well. We used it at a few DakotaDIY running out to my Dreadnaught. I used it as my pre-amp for a very long time at home in that same configuration. Plays most audio formats natively.

It uses the Sabre^32 Reference ES9018 DAC. The stereo outputs are dedicated and distinct from the 7.1 analog outputs, as well. It has two HDMI inputs - one is audio only. I used the full HDMI input for my HTPC and used the video processing to upscale the SD content on the hard drive.

Anyways, I'll bring it along if we need the optical/coax output on it.

JasonPBryan@MAC
    I have a signature.
  • Yep, my first Iowa DIY.

JasonP
  • edited October 2022

That 8-in two-way on the floor sounded phenomenal too. 3/4-in Vifa Tweeter and I believe a DVC MCM woofer. I still use those stands you have there everyday. They're underneath my Attitudes.
    It was my fourth Iowa.

• You have a great memory, Wolf! Your Attitudes set the bar pretty high. Mine weren't keeping up with many other designs that day in smoothness, but they sure sounded bigger than most people expected in the Super Budget class.

• We are officially "decades" into these mother effin Midwest DIY shows. And I'm a newbie compared to many of you, but very humbled and honored to run with the best. See y'all next week!!

MartyH
    My signature goes here