Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2023...

Comments

• Do we know what the music is?

• @PWRRYD said:
    I'm all loaded up and ready to go tomorrow.

Same here. Had to borrow the wifes Pathfinder to load everything up. But I'm ready to go!

• @Wolf said:
    Now, to rip music... yeah, I'm pushing it apparently this year! I have them all picked, so it's just the fenagling of levels and burning several.

Yes, please level the tracks. I'm burning a demo also, just so I have a reference.

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited April 2023

I always make the attempt to level them. Sometimes one cut is stubborn. I'm pretty sure we're good, burning 15 copies...

And no, not revealed until tomorrow for house disc. Theme disc I won't have until JR burns it. I know nothing of what's on it.

• Do we have a way to set speaker levels?

• @kenrhodes said:
    Do we have a way to set speaker levels?

kenrhodeshifisideSteve_LeeWolfBryan@MACTieftoener
  • Then it's a question of who is level headed in our group....

• @Wolf said:
    Then it's a question of who is level headed in our group....

My head is to round to be level...

hifisideWolf
  • On my way, see you all in a little while.

PWRRYDhifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Day one done. I thought today went well. We got through all but about 7-8 pair today, mainly the floor standers. Day two in about 9 hrs....

hifiside
  • edited April 2023

Thanks Ben for setting this up! And thanks to all the kind words from those who were there early to hear my builds! I had a blast yesterday. Was pretty awesome to see so much turnout too. Wish I was able to be there today. Debated leaving the cart there but didn't want to burden someone else with transporting and storing it. It seemed to come in handy at least. Doing support/logistics for these kind of things has always been my jam compared to being on the stage.

After mine played I came to the conclusion I should have looked to elevate them more. I measured and listened to both 2-way and 1-way with the woofer at ear height previously at home. Oah well.

Makes me wonder about engineering an adjustable stand system with a clamp lock or something.

Wolf
  • edited April 2023

Paul said, "Hey, I want someone to blow up the Pit Vipers". And boy howdy, a solid
    115dB attempt was given. Sadly, in the end, Paul had to cart home a working pair of speakers. The protective 5A fuse in Ben's switch box blew and I think we all collectively decided our luck had been pushed with the venue. It was time to pack up.

I have saved the attempt for posterity. It was puking fiberglass everywhere! LOL

https://youtube.com/shorts/CSQCIUXfdRw?feature=share

PS: Forgive my crappy videography.

Wolf4thtrySteve_LeeTieftoener
  • And the winner is our very own @a4eaudio

DirkWolfRon_EtajanesSteve_Lee6thplanetTieftoener
  • Dan and Nick's Portal speakers were just plain cool. Very spacious & full bodied sound quality

WolftajanesTurn2Steve_Lee6thplanet
  • edited April 2023

@4thtry said:
    And the winner is our very own @a4eaudio

Winner in a very tight field, I might add.

There were a handful of designs that had little in the way of upper bass / lower midrange coloration. His was one of them and it was the tie breaker for me in the final round.

Steve_Lee
  • Here are just a few more pics. Will post more tomorrow when I get home. Had a great time. Thanks Ben, Chuck, Nick, & crew for putting on another great show!!
    Lewis B "Suitcase Specials"

John H "NQ"

JR'S "Insomniacs"

jr@mackenrhodeshifisideSteve_Lee6thplanet
  • Thanks for building and bringing the Insomniacs, Ken. That was an unexpected surprise.

hifisidejhollanderTieftoener
    I have a signature.
  • Freaking great time! Always fantastic to see you guys/gals🤘🏼Tops to Ben and Chuck for another awesome event!

jr@macjhollander
  • @4thtry said:
    Here are just a few more pics. Will post more tomorrow when I get home. Had a great time. Thanks Ben, Chuck, Nick, & crew for putting on another great show!!

I deserve no credit. I was just dumb labor, helping move speakers and being a smartass.

jr@mac
  • My take on the contest is firstly, it should have been called tweeter torture. You guys really pushed them to the limits, but well done for entering and having some great designs, it's all about fun. JR's tracks were outstanding in highlighting the limitations in the contestants various designs. And a special nod to the two entries that were at the extreme end.....I'm looking at you Dan and Keith. Cool projects everyone.

jr@macJavadS
    1. Kent - Då som nu för alltid
    2. Clannad - Theme From Harrys Game
    3. Carlos Franzetti - Once Upon A Summertime
    4. Linda Ronstadt - Long Long Time
    5. Lindsey Sterling - Crystallize

Honorable mention belongs to a track I pulled at the last minute in the interest of brevity. It was the original opening track, just the first 20 or 30 seconds. The flutes will excite panel resonance and the tweeter. The track is called "Dela Dela" by Sacred Spirit. Go check it out, another very tough track.

I chose the tracks I did specifically because I knew people would be crossing over fairly low and I wanted to test how well that was done. The Linda Ronstadt track especially stressed most of the designs.

The opening track is worth listening to the entire thing - it is out there on YouTube.

Anyways, here is a link to download the demo in the form I originally intended with the Sacred Spirit opening. Listen on good headphones and then play it on various speakers.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHuPRQmBiX2h68g8PzI2UEQx2AFIg?e=pEP5H5

Let me know if the link works.

JavadS6thplanetBrannigansLaw4thtryjhollanderTieftoener
    I have a signature.
  • I enjoyed this years theme - it was fun seeing and hearing how everyone approached the limitations of a large woofer/small tweeter. While I thought the opening act was pretty bad (poor old Sansui), the remaining designs would all perform well under normal circumstances.

I have a signature.
  • Sitting on a plane heading home, as always a great event, thank you Ben and Chuck for putting it on and everyone that helped. Great job David you nailed the theme, well deserved! Nick your smartassery was 10/10, excellent work 😆

Always fun to see everyone and hear everyone’s new latest designs, can’t wait for the next one ☺️

Javad

jr@macEd_Perkinshifiside4thtryjhollander
  • JR - the link works fine. Here's a pdf showing the tracks and approximate times. I remember the flute/resonance test track, I think it was used at one of the SD get togethers.

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    JR - the link works fine. Here's a pdf showing the tracks and approximate times. I remember the flute/resonance test track, I think it was used at one of the SD get togethers.

Indeed it was.

I have a signature.
  • Made a video with my pics/video of the event.
    InDIYana 2023

jr@macNicholas_23tajanesugly_wooferSteve_LeeBrannigansLawBryan@MAChifiside4thtryJavadSand 2 others.
  • Eric you have some serious video and musical skills!!!

6thplanet
  • Tracks on the house disc were:
    Pink Noise
    KT Tunstall - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
    Green Noise (pulled from YouTube vid, 10 seconds.)
    Huey Lewis - Back In Time (from Live at 25)
    Brown Noise (from Iowa 2006 demo disc)
    Jessica Rabbit - Why Don't You Do Right (from Who Framed Roger Rabbit Soundtrack)
    Pink Floyd Noise (Welcome to the Machine)
    Peter Gabriel - Red Rain (from Hits and Misses)
    Everdown - Seasons of Doubt (Intro drums only)
    Puscifer - Momma Sez (from V is for Vagina)

6thplanetjhollander
  • Eric - Loved the soundtrack. Hope those drivers work out for you and your bass!

6thplanet