Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

InDIYana 2023...

Comments

• I think the best smart ass comment I heard this weekend was when someone asked if Wogg designed his speakers based on his hair cut. :o They both looked and sounded great.

Bryan@MACjr@mac6thplanetSteve_LeejhollanderTieftoener
  • edited April 2023

I'm sorry I missed that.

• When Nick said "This is all bullshit" -- that was pretty damned funny too. Lol.

jr@mac6thplanetDirkDanPjhollanderTieftoener
    My signature goes here
  • Thank you to all that attended. You guys make all the work worth it, truly. And especially a thank you to those who dedicated so much time, energy, and finds into this crazy theme.

6thplanetugly_wooferTieftoener
  • The hair comment was a pretty funny observation.

• @Bryan@MAC said:
    When Nick said "This is all bullshit" -- that was pretty damned funny too. Lol.

For the record, I wasn't saying that the designs were bullshit, just that some take the whole competition thing far too seriously and it should be just for fun, as I stated at the time.

Steve_Lee
  • @ugly_woofer said:

@Bryan@MAC said:
    When Nick said "This is all bullshit" -- that was pretty damned funny too. Lol.

For the record, I wasn't saying that the designs were bullshit, just that some take the whole competition thing far too seriously and it should be just for fun, as I stated at the time.

Yes of course. In hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have even made that post because you had to be at the event to understand the context. But man... I had a good laugh at that comment and so did the entire room.

My signature goes here
  • No dude, it's totally cool, I have no problem with you posting it. Hell, I'm not the most charming guy in the world, and I would suspect that no one was shocked by my coment at the event. Lol

Steve_Lee
  • I find many of the colorful comments to be a great break in what could become too serious.
    "No one's looking at the mantle when they're poking the fire" and "that's going to itch when it dries" are a few words of wisdom I got to share. :)

hifisideWolfDanPBryan@MAC
  • edited May 2023

Ben was checking out those "little" boxes with the Faital 12"s in em. I figured they were sealed but he tells me "No, a pretty giant port on the back, I can fit my fist in there" to which I reply "Oah yeah some real fisters?" The look of dread that washed over his face was pretty priceless. Guess my sense of humor may not be everyone's cup o tea ;)

• Some more pics from my cell phone (totally at random):

hifisideBryan@MACSteve_Leejr@macTurn2tajaneskenrhodes
  • Here are a group of "time aligned" pictures of the Tweeter Yoga competition. It began with Craig S playing the competition house track on a set of classic 1971 "reference" Sansui SP-70 speakers, which he modified with external xovers to add BSC and tone down a 5kHz peak. Then, the competition began. There were 4 rounds of roughly 3 speakers in each round. I was sitting in the third row, slightly off center. I snapped a picture of each speaker as Wolf, Chuck, and Nick swapped them out. Then, in photoshop, I added the speaker name and designer on the overhead screen on the far wall. I also added the round number, speaker number, and round winner next to the screen. In this way, you can see which speakers won each round. Here are the pics. Let me know if I have all the names correct:

jr@macJavadSPWRRYDhifisideWolfSteve_LeejhollanderTieftoenerBryan@MAC
  • edited May 2023

I have to say in terms of faces present this year, some fit both criteria;
    We had some new faces to the event. Tim, Drew, ScottQ, Charlie, etc.
    We had a lot of old veteran faces present. ScottQ, JR, Chuck, myself, Vince, Paul Carmody, Dirk, Nick, Charlie, Javad, JohnH, etc. If ever an event that a query could get answered, this was one for the books. There was a lot of knowledge in one room, from all over the country.
    In terms of speakers present, I think there were only 3 builds where the builder was not the designer, including Sam's little BT Amazon build. That also says a lot for where the direction of the hobby is going. Many builders are designing their own, not just building someone else's designs.
    And, the pool of builders grew this year I feel. This is the most crowded InDIYana has been since 2019 where we had 75 people present. I know we were over 50 for sure, likely 60 this year.
    We had more builds present on Friday this year, instead of a lot showing up Saturday morning. I was a little worried we'd run out of stand mount space, but very few arrived in the morning.
    Thank you to all that attended, helped, built, and enjoyed the event this year, especially to Chuck, Nick, JR, and Mark. Also, congrats to Paul Carmody and Javad on their Lifetime Achievement Awards!
    I am looking forward to the next one...

Steve_LeeJavadS6thplanetTieftoener
  • This was the best Fort Wayne InDIYiana get together for me by a lot. There was an overall relaxed feel to it this year. Lot's of fun and very humorous commentary :) That kept things light and not so serious (after all we're just designing speakers, not curing cancer). The theme part was, in my opinion, the best one so far. I truly appreciate all the work that Ben and Chuck do at these events and especially for Mark and Meniscus to pay for the whole gig. Hat's off guys and a huge thank you to everyone! I look forward to the next one.

6thplanetTieftoener
  • Mark, from Meniscus Audio Group, presented a pair of Lifetime Achievement Awards at the event. These awards are in acknowledgement of an achievement in education of the DIY speaker community. This year the awards went to Paul C. and Javad S. Very well deserved. Congrats!

hifisideJavadS6thplanetSteve_Lee
  • Looks like a good time. Maybe someday I’ll get there. Thanks for all the pictures and videos.!

4thtry
  • Here is another batch of pictures from my cell phone:

JavadSSteve_LeeBryan@MAC
  • I'm getting close to covering all the loudspeakers that were at the show. I still have to do Wogg's and Meredith's speakers and maybe a couple others. Let me know if I missed your speakers and I will be sure to post a pic of them.

• edited May 2023

Every time I come hope from one of these events, I am either exhausted and don't want to even think about DIY, or I go gangbusters for awhile after. I think this was a gangbuster evoking event. Iowa usually does that to me, as well but the weather rarely cooperates with me.

hifiside6thplanetSteve_Lee4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    Every time I come hope from one of these events, I am either exhausted and don't want to even think about DIY, or I go gangbusters for awhile after. I think this was a gangbuster evoking event. Iowa usually does that to me, as well but the weather rarely cooperates with me.

Ditto. I was all set to build 1 pr for the remainder of this year, maybe 2. Now I've got 4 in mind and have all the drivers on hand. Doh!

hifiside6thplanet4thtry
  • So many builds I missed out on hearing. Those mini Orangutan style ones I totally could see myself building. Definitely bummed to miss the pit vipers blow the stuffing out! arg!

ugly_woofer
  • I had a blast! I again want to thank Ben, Chuck, Nick and whoever else helped I don't even realize behind the scenes. The theme test tracks were on point - thanks Johnny!

As @PWRRYD said, the feeling at this event was more relaxed and fun than most I've been to. A few times the parents had to tell the kids to quiet down, but that's inevitable on occasion. There were a lot of excellent designs. The quality of speakers at events is highly elevated compared to 20 yrs ago... Largely due to Jeff, Charlie, and many others contributing time and resources.

I had a blast participating. I hope I can make it up again. Now that our kids are older, it's easier and less guilt-ridden for me to make an escape. 😉

Another great smartass moment was Javad being called out for not knowing any woman speaker builders when Lewis' wife jumped up and enthusiastically shared her project.

I was carrying my speakers out to car in the hallway when Paul's Pit Vipers were undergoing shock therapy, but giggled and nearly dropped them in response to hearing everyone's excitement and blowing the 5A fuse ... 🤣 Good stuff 👍🏼

jr@macPWRRYDJavadSSteve_Lee4thtry
  • These were the "Nighthawks" by Taylor H.

These were called the "Bass Pump" by Bob B. I didn't get a chance to hear them, I think they played before I got there on Friday and then left early. They look very interesting.

jr@machifisideSteve_Lee
  • I could not find a tent card for these tiny speakers. Powered by 4 AA batteries.

jr@macPWRRYD6thplanet
  • These were Wogg's "Anarchies" Nice job on the finish and design. Bass reflex port is on the bottom and the speaker wires are hidden in the two rear pipes.

kenrhodes
  • edited May 2023

Finally, here are a few snaps of Meredith C's "Front Row" speakers. The basic idea here was to develop a speaker that could image well in more than one listening position. To spread the stereo imaging over a span of several seats instead of a single sweet spot. Very educational. I'm currently studying some of the concepts that Meredith presented in an attempt to see if I can apply some of them to my own designs.

hifisideJavadSSteve_Lee
  • Thanks for all the pictures Bill! I always know you have that dept covered so I rarely take any pixs.

4thtry
  • My speakers had a little accident on the way home Sunday.... I had them standing up in the back seat because my car's trunk was completely full of Charlie's fire sale drivers. A sharp off camber turn in Chicago construction tipped one over and it hit the other. Only cosmetic but the paint got jacked up pretty bad.

6thplanetjhollanderSteve_Lee
  • Bummer.
    Bit of filler and a re-coat?

• Yeah probably.