Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2023

Comments

• Brief rundown on the "rules"...

Friday night and Saturday night are still informal "run what you brung". As usual, all we ask is everyone gets a chance so be nice and do not bogart the time/space. This is where we play "other" stuff we bring. Most of us will be bringing more than one design - but this is your time to manage. Do so wisely or I'll make sure you do :-)

House track will be four minutes, and personal demos will be limited to four minutes. Setup/teardown time is four minutes total. This is 12 minutes per time slot. This is tight, and we will be toeing the line on this - so save extended QA for informal time or take it into the lobby.

Mrs JR will be policing this thing - respect her authority. If she "shushes" you - you deserved it. No chatting in the back of the room, no jingling of keys/coins in pockets, no dirty looks cast her way, and pay attention during the limited time presenters have. Take it outside, we have a lovely venue - it is a matter of respect for our peers.

Lunch will be an hour, TBD on what that involves.

This is an alcohol friendly event, so yeah.

Most importantly, this is meant to be fun. We do not do feedback cards or competitions for a reason. Of course we encourage open communication - but unsolicited feedback is not always welcome so don't offer it without asking first.

OK, that's out of the way. I am looking forward to seeing all of you!

Silver1omougly_woofertajanesBryan@MAChifiside
    I have a signature.
  • USB flash drive, emailed, or what format for the personal track- thx

• @tajanes said:
    USB flash drive, emailed, or what format for the personal track- thx

Should be able to honor both delivery options but hang on until @JasonP chimes in about the front end.

My signature goes here
  • edited July 2023

I started working on the final version of the enclosure for my omni/dipole design.....and the router died. Over twenty years of my Craftsman cheerfully devouring miles of MDF has come to a close. The frantic search for a respectable replacement begins, although I've just put a massive dent into my attendance probabilities as I can count on three fingers the weekends available between now and 10/20/23 to work on this project.

• Room booked

• All, we will be publishing a registration link in the next couple weeks. Just want to ensure we have a nice, formatted lineup on Saturday. As always we have Friday (informal) and Saturday night (post formal) to audition and enjoy additional projects. Can't wait!!

jholtzPWRRYD
    My signature goes here
  • Does one need to register if they're attending without bringing anything this year?

• @technodanvan said:
    Does one need to register if they're attending without bringing anything this year?

No sir. We used to do a catered lunch (fancy way of saying we ordered pizza lol) and needed an actual head-count. Now we break for lunch, some of us skip lunch and do something fun in the room over that time-frame. Maybe a Barbie Girl SPL check, for example.

I have a signature.
  • I mean, you can certainly register - nice to get a headcount of course.

I have a signature.
  • Gotcha, thank you!

• Hey!! I'm happy to just find this site and the event. I live in Iowa.
    So, Oct. 20/21/22 in Ankeny at Best Western?!

hifisidejholtzRon_E4thtry
  • @RandWue said:
    Hey!! I'm happy to just find this site and the event. I live in Iowa.
    So, Oct. 20/21/22 in Ankeny at Best Western?!

Yeppers - seeya there!

I have a signature.
  • So I will be bringing a standmount 3-way using some "not quite yet available" drivers, and possibly those GRS based 8" 3-way standmounts as well. Not sure I will have anything really new unless it is one of the AliExpress based builds I have done.

I have a signature.
  • I will be starting my Iowa build next week. I have to make a test cabinet for the PR’s. Then we’re ready.

• I have secured the Volare's for a 5" SB woofer project. I had to trade my son Kyle the Racetrack 3-ways for the semester...

I'm starting to cut wood for the 10" coax project. If they turn out worthy of a name, they will be called "Match Point".

hifisideSilver1omojr@macBryan@MAC
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited September 2023

Hey Bryan & JR,

Do you want me to print up a batch of tent cards and bring them along? A couple years ago I printed a batch of 1/4 sheet sized tent cards, but I think they were a little too small and did not have enough room for names and drivers. David printed a batch of full sheet tents for InDIYana this past year, but I think they were a little too big. I was thinking maybe I'd scale my 1/4 sheet sized tent cards up to 1/2 sheet size. That should be about the right size. I have enough photo quality card stock on hand to print off 40 or so. Will also bring along a pack of sharpies and name badges. - Bill

hifisidejr@macjholtzBryan@MAC
  • @4thtry said:
    Hey Bryan & JR,

Do you want me to print up a batch of tent cards and bring them along? A couple years ago I printed a batch of 1/4 sheet sized tent cards, but I think they were a little too small and did not have enough room for names and drivers. David printed a batch of full sheet tents for InDIYana this past year, but I think they were a little too big. I was thinking maybe I'd scale my 1/4 sheet sized tent cards up to 1/2 sheet size. That should be about the right size. I have enough photo quality card stock on hand to print off 40 or so. Will also bring along a pack of sharpies and name badges. - Bill

Let's do it, and thank you.

4thtry
    I have a signature.
  • Finally getting started on my iowa23 build.

tajanes
  • What material is that you are using for the cabinets???
    It doesn't look like Particle Board nor OSB - some sort of hybrid of the 2?

• This is all left over material from the 1/2” cnc scraps and the 3/4 PB menards shelving sale. The bracing is made from .375 masonite. It will be interesting when done.

Steve_Lee
  • edited September 2023

Hi gang. To ensure we have an accurate headcount and in order to plan the presentations for Saturday we are requiring attendee registration. To be clear; whether you are presenting or just hanging out, registration is required.

Please follow this link to the registration form. Many thanks for your understanding.

https://midwestaudio.club/?nf_public_link=2ljx6

jr@mac
    My signature goes here
  • FYI - Our room block at the Best Western will expire on 9/29. As of today it appears there are still rooms available for $124.99/night. Here is the link for the group rate: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-rooms.16110.html?groupId=A94AR2K9

I also noticed that BW Rewards Members may be able to get a lower rate with some conditions. Please check out all options on the main website: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/ankeny/hotel-rooms/best-western-premier-ankeny-hotel/propertyCode.16110.html

jr@mac
    My signature goes here
  • Less than a month😮.

• The missus and I are making a 5 day weekend out of this - spending the first night at the Hilton in Mankato, MN. It is next to an entire district of nothing but bars and restaurants. Mankato is a college town, so should prove to be an interesting night to say the least.

I have a signature.
  • I just booked, only $106 a night.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    I just booked, only $106 a night.

Nice.
    I'll have an empty bed in case someone needs to crash.

• @ugly_woofer said:
    I just booked, only $106 a night.

Hey Nick. Was that a BW Rewards booking, AAA, AARP (LOL)....how'd you get that rate? That's awesome.

My signature goes here
  • BW rewards member price. I just logged in and that's the price that popped up.

• Bryan,
    Is there a page where we can see who is registered and maybe what they are bringing to demo?
    Craig

• Making a little progress on the Matchpoint project....

I built the skeleton first

Then added the outside of the cabinet.

Now, I need to drop in the drivers, take some measurements, and build the other cabinet....

kenrhodesBryan@MAChifisidetajanesSteve_LeeSilver1omougly_woofer6thplanetjohnny5jzjhollander
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions