Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2023

Comments

• edited October 2023

I think this is everything I'm bringing audio related.
    ![]

ugly_wooferS7910hifisideMikegSilver1omoBryan@MAC
    I have a signature.
  • That's quite a pile!

• @jr@mac said:

Have the three ways with the HiVi DM7500 made it to a DIY event yet?

• @PWRRYD said:
    But seriously, if someone wants to hear a face melting 12 wpc of Class A KT88 tube glory I might be arm twisted into lugging 40+ pounds of amp.

what is the amp?

• edited October 2023

Don't forget to cover them tweeters in the back of the PU/truck JR!!
    [Your Fs will drop after a really good over-excursion from the breeze]

• @a4eaudio said:

@jr@mac said:

Have the three ways with the HiVi DM7500 made it to a DIY event yet?

They are not likely to get hauled out of my basement. Heavy. I'm old. Bad knee. Enough fun hauling some other stuff up.

I have a signature.
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    Don't forget to cover them tweeters in the back of the PU/truck JR!!
    [Your Fs will drop after a really good over-excursion from the breeze]

Truck no good for road trips. That 8mpg using premium is just not on the table.

I have a signature.
  • @tajanes said:

@PWRRYD said:
    But seriously, if someone wants to hear a face melting 12 wpc of Class A KT88 tube glory I might be arm twisted into lugging 40+ pounds of amp.

what is the amp?

I'm certain it is one he designed and built.

tajanes
    I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:

Ok I'm bringing the TT and some records. I think it would be interesting to have the tube/TT setup running during after-hours. So @PWRRYD what say you?

hifiside
    My signature goes here
  • @ugly_woofer said:

@Bryan@MAC said:
    If anyone would like to bring a stand-alone phono pre-amp, I will gladly bring my Technics SL1200 Mk2 for some afterhours vinyl listening. Thoughts?

MM or MC cartridge?

MM. it's an Ortofon RED.

hifisidetajanes
    My signature goes here
  • Sure. It can be configured as strapped triode or ultra-linear with the flip of a switch.

• @Bryan@MAC said:

@ugly_woofer said:

@Bryan@MAC said:
    If anyone would like to bring a stand-alone phono pre-amp, I will gladly bring my Technics SL1200 Mk2 for some afterhours vinyl listening. Thoughts?

MM or MC cartridge?

MM. it's an Ortofon RED.

My phono pre is only MC and I don't have a MM phono stage. So I can't provide the phono preamp. Sorry.

• @hifiside said:
    I have NAD one I can bring.

Hey Brad. Yes, please.

My signature goes here
  • I have a phono pre amp I can send with JR

Bryan@MAC
  • Mines MM and MC. I have it packed and bring it anyway

Bryan@MAC
  • Ok, I'll lug the boat anchor and its power cord with me. It has RCA inputs and 5 way binding post outputs (cables on others....)

Bryan@MAC
  • If you guys still need it, and if it works for the set up , this is the pre

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0492

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    If you guys still need it, and if it works for the set up , this is the pre

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0492

Nick, only if it's not an inconvenience to get it to JR before he hits the road. Always good to have a backup. Thanks my man.

My signature goes here
  • I'll fire up my tube amp this weekend to make sure it is healthy. Haven't listtened to it in about 9 months.

• edited October 2023

IOWA DIY update: ONE WEEK AWAY!!!!

Hey DIY friends. I was going to send an email update to everyone who already registered but it makes more sense to post the update here so anyone still on the fence about registering can see the details here.

***Get your RSVPs in now so we can have an accurate head & project count. https://midwestaudio.club/?nf_public_link=2ljx6

So far, we have 37 attendees and at least 22 projects. Please note: It’s ok to have more than one project, but earmark one of them for your Saturday demo, in case we get jammed with last minute registrations. For folks with multiple projects you should ensure you get adequate “airtime” on Friday afternoon-night and/or Saturday night during the informal sessions. Reach out to me directly if you have any questions about that.

Overview of rules is here: https://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/comment/42926/#Comment_42926

TL/DR:
    Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday night are informal listening sessions.
    Game Day-- 8am loading/set up time, 9am start, 12-noon Pizza lunch, 5pm wrap up.
    4 minute house track, 4 minute demo, 4 minutes set-up/tear down.
    Cell phones on mute.
    During presentations, take your conversations outside to the lobby. Mrs JR will be the "shush police." Please respect her authoritaaaaaa.

There will be the usual swap meet table and JR has a couple special gifts, TBA at the show. Again, no official sponsors this year. We will pass the hat (Mr. Pumpkin), for donations to help offset the cost of the event. We all understand the economy sucks, but so does fronting the cost of these shows with no guarantee that you'll break even. Your donations are extremely important and JR, JP, and I thank you so much in advance for your consideration.

Important (if you're a breakfast person): The Best Western has nixed the free breakfast buffet. Breakfast items are still available for a nominal fee. Sorry...I just found out about this today. :( Also, the lobby bar is still closed, but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Questions/concerns: Please DM me.

Super stoked to see everyone again and meet some new DIY folks. See y'all soon!

jr@mac
    My signature goes here
  • I only work three days this coming week - bet it feels like 30!

As Bryan noted above these events do cost no small sum of money to host, and this year buying what I bring will be a positive way to help fund this event. You get to help fund the event and walk away with nice drivers at a nice price.

Going to be some interesting designs there, I imagine. Look forward to seeing ya'll.

I have a signature.
  • I am off to Montana but will be back Friday and just finished my speaker project

tajanesjr@machifisideRon_ENicholas_23kenrhodes6thplanetSteve_LeeScottSjohnny5jzand 3 others.
  • I have my demo music together and the weather forecast for the weekend is great. Highs in the 60's and lows in the 40's with no rain.

Ron

jholtzBryan@MAC
  • Does anyone have any idea when the room will be open to drop off speakers Friday afternoon?

Ji

• @jholtz said:
    Does anyone have any idea when the room will be open to drop off speakers Friday afternoon?

Ji

Hey Jim. The room should be available all day. If you're the first one to arrive, just see Scott (the manager). JP, Alexis and myself will be arriving around 3pm, maybe a bit earlier.

jholtz
    My signature goes here
  • Bryan, are you still bringing your TT and vinyl? If yes, I'll blow the dust off my tube amp tonight and make sure it's ready.

• I can be there as early as noon.

jholtz
    I have a signature.
  • Won't be able to setup, but maybe us early birds can grab lunch together.

I have a signature.
  • If I hit the road early enough, I might have time to swing over to Skylabs and see if they still have any reissue REM LPs.

I have an old Dual TT that's in decent enough shape, if anyone is interested in hearing that. I think it has a cheap AT cartridge on it right now. I just use it on my test bench to make sure phono stages are working properly.

• @Tom_S said:
    If I hit the road early enough, I might have time to swing over to Skylabs and see if they still have any reissue REM LPs.

I have an old Dual TT that's in decent enough shape, if anyone is interested in hearing that. I think it has a cheap AT cartridge on it right now. I just use it on my test bench to make sure phono stages are working properly.

I'd love to listen to Automatic for the People on vinyl to see if the different mastering techniques cure the sibilance issues on the CD release.

I have a signature.