Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IOWA DIY 2023

Comments

• Time for some tube gear.

kenrhodesSteve_Lee4thtryjr@mac6thplanethifiside
  • @Tom_S said:
    Ron pushing the boundaries again - using a Dayton subwoofer driver with an AMT.

The tweeter was an open back GRS BG clone.

https://parts-express.com/GRS-PT2522-4-3-1-2-Planar-Tweeter-4-Ohm-272-122?quantity=1

Ron

jr@machifiside
  • Another Iowa DIY under the belt. Thanks for all the kind words and interest in the Subterfuges. For those of you who are interested in my demo music you can find the wav file and track list on my Google drive. I'd encourage everyone that had their own demo music to share what they have. I'm sure our friends who couldn't make it this year would love to hear your tracks.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hHdjt2WJfVXLPeFL7GO6ZIPh4VMF1V6l?usp=share_link

Many thanks to the Iowa DIY team who put this together.

Ron

MartyHjr@mac6thplanethifiside
  • THX JR and guys for putting together another great event !
    Always good hangin with this group- lots of great sound and builds, and conversations - many ‘high bars’ to learn from and so many new ideas to think about for the next build.

jr@machifiside
  • Made it home in one piece and everything still works 😎 hope everyone else does too!

jr@machifiside
  • I packed everything but my front end in the back this time. Will be leaving as soon as Mrs. JR is awake and done with her morning rituals.

I have a signature.
  • Sunday morning - bits & pieces waiting to be loaded up for the drive home.

jr@macjhollanderPWRRYDhifisideugly_woofer
  • I just got home safe and sound! Saw 5 cars pulled over and 20 dead deer Yikes! Thanks again JR, Bryan, and JP for hosting another great DIY Iowa event. I enjoyed meeting a couple of new (to me) people and hanging with the regulars. And thank you everyone who gave me feedback on my projects. Already looking forward to Indy and thought a lot about a couple new project ideas on my 4+ hour drive home. Thanks Ron for the mid domes and JR for the Beasts.

jr@mac
  • Home safe. I'll post some thoughts later

I have a signature.
  • Thanks MAC team (JR, JP and BK) for coordinating everything for a smooth event. I always have a great time. The pictures are great Tom thanks.

Billetjr@mac
  • Yes, big thanks Tom! Your pictures and commentary are great.

Steve_Leejr@mac
  • OK, some thoughts...

1. Thank you all for your generosity when it came to pumpkin time. You have no idea how much that means to us. All three of us were genuinely touched this year - we covered our venue and web hosting costs for 2023. Thank you.
    2. It was a wing ding of a good time both Friday and Saturday nights. Love the informal setting. I always discover new music in these times.
    3. Thank you to those who took the time to give me some feedback on my two designs.
    4. Yes, it is true MAC is now selling drivers - more to come on that.
    5. Mrs JR extends her apologies for only having energy for one wing ding of a good time.
    6. Tom, thanks for the real time updates on the event proper. I know people appreciate that. I sure did.
    7. The turntable plus tube amp was fun - although I am convinced there is no magic there. Sorry not sorry. :)
    8. I miss the breakfast buffet - that was in hindsight one of my favorite parts of this event. Great little social gathering in the mornings. Next year I will just buy several Casey's breakfast pizzas for us to share and try to recreate that.
    9. Well behaved crowd this year, even with Mrs. JR bowing out of the event proper. Thank you for that.
    10. Thank you to all who came this year. What a fantastic event this turned in to! Old faces, new faces, it was a blast.
    11. Finally, please give props to Bryan and JP for their efforts in pulling this off from an administrative perspective. I know i am generally the vocal face of MAC - but Bryan and JP really do a ton of stuff in the background to keep this thing of ours going. Thank you, brothers.
    Steve_Leeugly_wooferjhollanderSilver1omoS7910gleep
    I have a signature.
  • I had a great time hanging with my fellow speaker geeks. There were a lot of great designs, mine just don't work well in these hotel conference rooms, they excite every room coloration and mode. It was shocking walking from mid room to front after hours. The change in sound was astounding, and on top of that I generally build dark sounding speakers by choice, but as usual, I'm the "who gives a shit guy", this stuff is just for fun. Many thanks to JR, Bryan and Jason for putting this thing on. Awesome photos Tom. well done guys!
    The comparison of the Classe and Ncore amplifiers was pretty enlightening as well.
    One last random thought, I'm generally in an out of the listening area at these events, don't take it personally if I'm moving about, I have an issue with listening fatigue setting in extremely quickly when listening to what most people would call a "detail" speaker, it can be uncomfortable for me. I'm not spamming anyones build, on the contrary, I've always said people should build to their own taste, who gives a shit if the guy next to you likes it, you're the one who has to live with it. I guess the same could be said for significant others. lol Hope to see everyone at the next one.

jr@macBilletjholtzPWRRYDjhollanderSilver1omo
  • Wife and I took our time and made it home around 8PM last night. I would like to thank Bryan and JR and his wife Mandy the shooting star, also the others that helped out because I am the new guy and I am terrible with names. And thanks for making the new guy and his wife feel welcome, It's a definite do over for me, not sure about the wife though, she can be a bit of a shooting star as well.

hifisideTom_SWolf
  • It was a great day. Thanks to all for putting this together.

jr@mac
  • @Mikeg said:
    It was a great day. Thanks to all for putting this together.

It was good meeting you, Mike. Hope to see you again.

I have a signature.
  • @Eggguy said:
    Wife and I took our time and made it home around 8PM last night. I would like to thank Bryan and JR and his wife Mandy the shooting star, also the others that helped out because I am the new guy and I am terrible with names. And thanks for making the new guy and his wife feel welcome, It's a definite do over for me, not sure about the wife though, she can be a bit of a shooting star as well.

It was nice having dinner with you and the missus. Hope to see you guys next year - and Amanda promises to not be as much of a shooting star on the Friday informal. She regrets missing the event proper lol.

I have a signature.
  • Summary of our driving this weekend... Almost 30mpg is not bad for a 6 cyl, 4000lb, all-wheel drive SUV:

ugly_woofer
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for all the great pics Tom, wish I could have made it. Especially would have liked to hear the LX Minis and the Philharmonic BMRs. Those are two speakers I have actually considered buying. And thanks to JR, JP and BK for all they do year-round to keep MAC alive and well.

jr@macugly_woofer
  • Another great time. Thanks to JP, Bryan and JR. There was so much new stuff to hear this year. Thanks to everyone who brought something.

jr@mac
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thanks JR, JP & Bryan! We had a few new faces show up that may have caught the speaker building bug. And we missed you Bill, Ed, Ani and the many others who have attended in years past.

Maybe it's because I wasn't rushing to finish something, but this year was as much about camaraderie as speakers, at least for me. I think I had more conversations that were not about drivers or crossovers than ever before. We have people from all walks and stages of life and it's pretty clear to anyone who attends Iowa DIY that everybody sincerely enjoys each other's company. That's pretty cool with all the craziness going on in the world around us right now. There was so much knowledge, craftsmanship and artistry in that conference room, and on this forum every day - and I'm honored to be part of it.

hifisidetajanesSteve_LeeRon_Ejr@mac4thtry6thplanetjhollanderS7910gleep
  • 2023 IOWA DIY house track:

1. Run Away to Mars – TALK
    2. What a Wonderful World – Eva Cassidy
    3. Moondance – Van Morrison
    4. Pink Panther Theme (feat. Wynn Osborne) - Pickin' On the Movies: A Bluegrass Tribute to Classic Film Recordings
    5. Uninvited – Alanis Morrisette
    6. Marathon - Rush

Copy of house track here: https://app.box.com/s/74rmx99odejyh7y51skxq1z78799pq4s

kenrhodesugly_wooferBillet6thplanet
    My signature goes here
  • Thank you for sharing the house track Bryan!

• @Ed_Perkins said:
    Especially would have liked to hear the LX Minis and the Philharmonic BMRs. Those are two speakers I have actually considered buying.

Hey Ed missed seeing you there. Those are two very different sounding speakers, and I'm not talking about their radiation pattern. They couldn't be more different tonally. I won't get into it publicly.

• Yes that is for sure Nick... AND their radiation patterns.

• @Bryan@MAC said:
    2023 IOWA DIY house track:

1. Run Away to Mars – TALK
    2. What a Wonderful World – Eva Cassidy
    3. Moondance – Van Morrison
    4. Pink Panther Theme (feat. Wynn Osborne) - Pickin' On the Movies: A Bluegrass Tribute to Classic Film Recordings
    5. Uninvited – Alanis Morrisette
    6. Marathon - Rush

Copy of house track here: https://app.box.com/s/74rmx99odejyh7y51skxq1z78799pq4s

I'm a fan of Eva Cassidy, highly recommend "Stormy Monday"

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • My demo:

1. The Beast In Me - Nick Lowe
    2. Everyday - Buddy Holly
    3. Helen O'Hara - The Mason's Apron
    4. Waltzing Mathilda - Deadwood OST
    5. Just Like Heaven - Katie Melua
    6. Da Som Nu Fur Alltid - Kent

Link:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHuPRQmBiX2h9R05sqtmK4oel3nPA?e=L4mTDZ

I have a signature.
  • Made it back home last night after my tour of Northern Iowa and Southern Minnesota. I really enjoyed catching up with old friends and seeing some new faces. Many thanks to JR, JP, and BK for putting the show on and to all the others who attended and supported in various ways.

I sent a couple of pictures to the guy who sold me the Classe Amp. I think it was living its best life last weekend.

Thanks to Nick for picking up the 3 gallons of crossover parts. That left a little cash in my pocket... That said, you never know what will follow you home from one of these events. In this case, it was a 3 cu. ft. subwoofer cabinet. The 15" sub driver fits, now I'll just have to figure out how to put it to use or get it to someone who has a need for a "big boy" sub...

jr@machifisideugly_woofertajaneskenrhodesjhollanderSilver1omoBryan@MAC
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • That sub cabinet is a really nice score! I was tempted to grab i, but then I realized I really don't have any floor space to spare right now.

• @Tom_S said:
    Keep an eye out for deer, Matt!

No deer on the way down or on the way back. The only excitement with wildlife was the guy tailgating me running over a skunk on the way down.