Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Midwest Audio Club drivers.

Comments

• In this rare moment I would recommend a Forstner bit (I forget which size, but I can check) and use that press fit Dayton neo tweeter. Alternatively, Brad sells a small tweeter that might work.

I have a signature.
  • Too small of a box (~2.86L). So it will have to wait for new ones.

• Darn.

I have a signature.
  • That could probably work well sealed with a sub.

JasonP
  • @PWRRYD said:
    That could probably work well sealed with a sub.

Thought about it, I think I'll make them a new box once I'm done with the small queue.

• edited November 2023

Got my MAC-04s in today - thanks Brad! No time for testing, but I got some good fondling time in. So far, these puppies have everything you could want in a driver - cast frame, good venting under the spider, vented former, vented pole piece, mounting gasket, plenty of mechanical excursion for a 4"... I even like the front trim ring gasket deal - it's something a little different but still looks clean. Nice job MAC team! Can't wait to get them in a box!

Steve_Leejr@mactajanesSilver1omohifisideJasonPjhollanderugly_woofer6thplanetBryan@MACand 4 others.
  • edited November 2023

So, who are the manufacturers of these drivers?

Any one able to disclose?

• @tktran said:
    So, who are the manufacturers of these drivers?

Any one able to disclose?

Stay tuned.

rjj45
    My signature goes here
  • They are not something I "stumbled over". Nor are they something we "piggybacked" on.
    We hired a Chinese build-house (such as the type that make 99% of modern drivers) to make them.
    Brad has been a tremendous help in setting up the import process, however. He did so out of his love of DIY and in the interest of helping support this hobby.
    No, we will not be disclosing the specific build-house, we will let the build quality and performance of the drivers speak for themselves.

Silver1omoa4eaudio6thplanetSteve_Leehifisidekenrhodesrjj45tajanesPWRRYDJasonPand 6 others.
    I have a signature.
  • My MAC-06 arrived today, it is hard to capture the look of the pretty cone, so I tried and adjusted shadow and highlight on the image my old trusty Canon Powershot A3100 IS captured:

I really need to take this very much "mid" quality Polk XT15 off duty as my normal mains, so I'll have something whipped up, measured, and on the forum shortly.

jr@macSteve_LeehifisideBryan@MACtajanesrjj45Turn24thtry
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited November 2023

Yep mine just came in too. Thought I'd at least try the standard size tweeter. Whenever I get to it.

JasonPjr@macSteve_LeehifisideBryan@MACS79104thtry
  • They are snazzy!
    One more query if you'll humor me...
    Did you have a set of parameters you wanted, or was this sort of a pick of a few options type? I mean... develop, ship, QC, relay, fix concerns, improve, ship new samples; or more of an off the shelf?
    I really only know of how some others do it, like PE, and read how Zaph did his. I'm just curious about the whole general process of sourcing drive units.

• edited November 2023

Factory params on the 6.5" are lookin pretty snazzy. An 8.5 liter vented enclosure gets an F3 just under 50hz with a near 1.5db bump peaking ~91hz. (+.5ohm for series parts) But that wants a 2"x10" port. Maybe PR instead.

14liters they can dig down to 40hz F3! With that.. a pair would be a nice bottom end for a slim tower. B)

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • @DrewsBrews said:
    Factory params on the 6.5" are lookin pretty snazzy. An 8.5 liter vented enclosure gets an F3 just under 50hz with a near 1.5db bump peaking ~91hz. (+.5ohm for series parts) But that wants a 2"x10" port. Maybe PR instead.

14liters they can dig down to 40hz F3! With that.. a pair would be a nice bottom for a slim tower.

Funny you should mention that.

DrewsBrewsSteve_LeeScottS
    I have a signature.
  • @Wolf said:
    They are snazzy!
    One more query if you'll humor me...
    Did you have a set of parameters you wanted, or was this sort of a pick of a few options type? I mean... develop, ship, QC, relay, fix concerns, improve, ship new samples; or more of an off the shelf?
    I really only know of how some others do it, like PE, and read how Zaph did his. I'm just curious about the whole general process of sourcing drive units.

Sorry, but this part of the conversation is closed. We worked very hard to get these here, that should be enough information.

Steve_LeeBryan@MAC
    I have a signature.
  • Guys... yes. This is closed. Ben if you have questions, call me.

My signature goes here
  • I've only seen the various photos of these so far and the color tone of the cones doesn't seem to render consistently from pic to pic. For those who HAVE seen them, how would YOU describe the actual in-person color and appearance of the anodized aluminum? This is no biggie, but based on shots so far they could be anywhere from DA175-8 AL metal to the dull side of aluminum foil, a flat mid-gray or even a poly-looking plastic gray. For instance, when JR started his three-way build thread, I got the strong impression they were poly just based on appearance.

• edited November 2023

@Turn2 said:
    I've only seen the various photos of these so far and the color tone of the cones doesn't seem to render consistently from pic to pic. For those who HAVE seen them, how would YOU describe the actual in-person color and appearance of the anodized aluminum? This is no biggie, but based on shots so far they could be anywhere from DA175-8 AL metal to the dull side of aluminum foil, a flat mid-gray or even a poly-looking plastic gray. For instance, when JR started his three-way build thread, I got the strong impression they were poly just based on appearance.

They definitely have a metallic sheen, a specular component if you will. However it is hard to capture with the camera, and it will fade out in lower light. My first picture in my post above I took time to adjust the color to match what I see with my eyes. I wonder what other people think though.

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Reminiscent of the old MCM 55-2669.

Turn2
    I have a signature.
  • I agree with Ben, shut case or not. We all are in this for the love of speakers. Knowing what went into you guys having a custom driver made is not only cool as shit in itself, but truly peaks my/others curiosity. It's your choice to be all hush hush, but you can't blame us for not wanting know the behind the scenes.

WolftktranjhollanderEd_Perkins
  • edited November 2023

The best I can describe it is.. it is an extremely fine matte like finish that diffuses light to the point it takes extra effort for my eyes to pick out the specific cone profile. It appears to be a very very light grey hue. almost to the point of being an off-white depending on the lighting.

• edited November 2023

KUDOS !
    Ltd MAC Unobtainium cone material

• edited November 2023

It's great to see new drivers offered to the MAC community.

Good job to all those working behind the scenes! A sincere thank you.

Is there an ETA for higher spec transducers?

eg. larger VC, larger cone:frame diameter, longer throw/excursion or cone size (or both), or shorter voice coil and smaller surround, improved inductance control?

• @tktran said:
    It's great to see new drivers offered to the MAC community.

Good job to all those working behind the scenes! A sincere thank you.

Is there an ETA for higher spec transducers?

eg. larger VC, larger cone:frame diameter, longer throw/excursion or cone size (or both), or shorter voice coil and smaller surround, improved inductance control?

We'll see how these go over. It also gets complicated spec'ing drivers like that - also costly.

I have a signature.
  • Drinking beer in the garage last night with my new heater going. And came up with a Mac-05 and a common framed Tweeter build. I’m gonna try to keep it as simple as possible but yet I have my flair on it. These are my chicken scratches as of now.

PWRRYDScottS6thplanetSteve_Leejr@macJasonPrjj45tajanesS7910ugly_wooferand 4 others.
  • 0.5 cu. ft. is about as small a box as I can get to for a reasonable vented alignment for the MAC-05, so it's reassuring that you wound up at the same place.

Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • @ScottS said:
    0.5 cu. ft. is about as small a box as I can get to for a reasonable vented alignment for the MAC-05, so it's reassuring that you wound up at the same

Mine came up as a pretty big and long port. I might try modeling a passive radiator to.

• I got something that looked somewhat decent with a 10L box and 2 of the Dayton ND140 passive radiators (with 15g added weight to each one). F3 is 65 hz, but rolloff is pretty shallow for a while and cone control is good.

kenrhodeshifisideSilver1omo
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited November 2023

Here’s what I came up with after break-in. I have video but can’t seem to be able to post it.

• edited November 2023

I am looking at getting a few of these drivers, but unable to come up with a good alignment.

Of the 3 drivers, the 4", 5" and 6", only the 4" and the 5" are in consideration. I have somewhere between 50 and 100 6.5 - 7" drivers of all different calibers, so not looking to add any more. 4" and 5" are the least number of drivers I have, so that's where I want to go.

What sort of possible alignments do you suggest for these? for the 4" Dan's already got the MTMMM 2.5 way and Criags got the TM.

The 5" is an odd one, in that it needs as big or a bigger cabinet than the 6" one and doesn't go as lower. In ISO it seems to be the best in 12 lits, 2" port, 6" long seems to give F3 of 42.

I am looking at getting multiples of either the 4" or the 5" or a combination of 4 and 5. What can you suggest for these. For giggles throw in the 6 if you want too...

Would the Jule Fidelity big tweeter be a good match for the MAC drivers? I suppose so, other options are the big Peerless on sale at Mad or the Wavecore on sale at Solen (but shipping may not be too kind).

Regards
    Ani