Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa DIY 2017

Comments

• Just to be clear....it's great that a bunch of you don't mind $10/ea for pizza lunch.  However, in reality we get a shitload of people registering at the last minute as attendees......so, sorry I'd hate to be the guy who orders pizza for 30 and then there were 50 or 60....who knows?   Somebody give me a remedy. 
    My signature goes here
  • I think we present the situation to the Grinnell food service exactly as you have described it.  We have a certain minimum number of registered attendees that may grow significantly on the day of the show.  If they can offer a solution that is sufficiently flexible and not ridiculous cost-wise, we can accept.  If not, either they will refuse - allowing us to work with someone outside or we will have to have everyone fend for themselves at lunch.  We have done it successfully both ways in the past.
    Bryan@MAC
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Not that it is high quality, but Pizza Ranch is only about 5 mins away and their buffet style makes it pretty quick.
    jholtz
  • Their fried chicken and salad bar are pretty respectable.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I like The Ranch. 
    I have a signature.
  • Let's stick the lunch conundrum on the shelf for now. In other happier news one of our new Iowa sponsors is NedLab. This is the new venture headed up by the Transducer Lab designer - Eugen. I attempted to contact TL several times and apparently Eugen still has an email address there and he was the only recipient to reply to my sponsorship inquiry. This is how I found out about his new NedLab venture. He has offered to send some
    prototype DIY drivers and of course
    I wasn't turning that down. I hope he can follow through as the timing of the show will make delivery tight. At any rate please check out his new web site and take a look at the "data sheets" section. There's quite an online database there. http://nedlab.com
    My signature goes here
  • Thanks Bryan, I typically visit Nedlab when I am looking for the same sheet of some obscure Focal or Audax driver specs. Didn't know they make drivers too....
  • edited September 2017
    I hate to see any DIY guy retire from  "DIY" and liquidate, but these situations create great opportunities for folks in our community. Check out what Maynard is hauling to Grinnell. 

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2017/swapmeet

https://www.facebook.com/midwestaudioclub/posts/1126002560865555
    kennykThumperTom
    My signature goes here
  • Finally booked a room, phew. B)
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • The speakers I plan to bring were a gift to a friend on the condition I could borrow them for DIY Iowa. She was going to be in the neighborhood and dropped them off today. It's a good thing she did because it looks like both mids are blown and one of the tweeters shows signs of heat damage. I might have to talk to her about how loud she should play them. Thankfully the drivers are inexpensive.

Ron
    Nicholas_23Bryan@MACkennyk
  • Oh man. That sucks. It's the kind of thing I dread when I give away speakers - that I am forever indirectly also giving away a lifetime guarantee. Funny though- apparently she didn't know there was an issue??
    My signature goes here
  • When I hooked them up I didn't think they sounded very good and then I noticed the ripples in the planar tweeter. I put my ear up to the mids and nothing. She really likes them and her friends were impressed.  Hard to tell if they heard them before or after the mids went.
  • If I can figure out this drone , do you guys want a fly by?
  • It's not an expensive one

• I'm pretty sure I want to see a flyby. 
    My signature goes here
  • Ok you get to fly it or someone else with experience. It's not bad actually, I only crashed it once 
  • If there was ever a venue to have drone coverage of, it would be the Harris Center for sure. #dronepilotswanted
    My signature goes here
  • A$$ hole, I see what you did there  ;)
  • You're good with the cam dude, I've seen your work

• I have 4 light stands that can go up to about 13 feet or so for some indoor aerial photography.  My camera also does 1080p video, so I could slowly rotate it to create 10 second panoramic video clips from up high.  The floor in the Harris Center, however, is steeply sloped, so I would have to make a custom leveling device to keep the stand stable when going up this high. 
    PWRRYD
  • Isn't there a staircase at the back going to a landing? That should give a good vantage point for getting a good shot of the speakers along the walls, room and crowd
  • I can only imagine........Bill. you will probably shoot this at some point at one of our future events. It's gonna be epic.   
    My signature goes here
  • Xdemo will be up soon....make sure to get those demos ready for upload!!  Y'all know the drill.  
    My signature goes here
  • Ani,  I don't recall seeing a stairway at the Harris Center.  Maybe I walked past it several times and simply missed it. 
  • I don't think Ani's been to the Harris Center yet. Last year we were in a smaller hall that had a stair in the rear. There are no stairs in the Harris Center. If you look at the photo archive there are overhead shots and pictures of the stair from last year.

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/event-archive/iowa-2016/

Ron
  • @ani_101 Ani has been to the Harris Center......the shorter list is, "where hasn't he been?"

kennyk4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • I havent! Maybe next year.
    kennyk
  • I apologize for the confusion - got the names confused. I have been to three venues at IOWA, definitely Harris center (twice), the main hall venue and last years at JRC. I like the Harris Center with the auditorium seating and non parallel walls and stage. Last years at JRC was also good with the funky wall treatments - it also had the staircase at the back.
  • I'm going to try and have these done in time for Grinnell. They'll be an 8" 3-way built around the DSA215-8.

Ron

Turn2Nicholas_23JasonPBryan@MACkennykjhollander4thtrygreywarden
  • Beautiful woodworking as usual Ron. Are you going passive on these?