Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa DIY 2017

Comments

• Wish I could hang out and drool.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Only two weeks guys!  For once I have my speakers buttoned up and ready to go early.  Most years the voicing is still going on the week of the event or the speakers show up bare MDF...
  • Ron_E said:
    If any of you are coming through Des Moines on the way to Grinnell you might want to check out Skylabs.  It's a vintage audio shop in Valley Junction that has a nice collection of old stuff on hand. They have a monster McIntosh speaker system which is how I found them when my nephew sent me a Facebook link. The owners name is Kevin and I've invited him to check out an evening session in Grinnell. Part of his business is updating old consoles with modern gear.

https://www.facebook.com/skylabsiowa/

Ron

That looks like a pair of vintage Large Advent Loudspeakers toward the center.  They have the more expensive walnut cabinets; my pair have the standard "utility" cabinets.     I currently have them all torn apart to check crossover parts and replace the stuffing.  The previous owner re-stuffed them with poly fill at a very low rate of 0.40 lbs. per cubit foot.  I will be putting fiberglass back in at a rate of about 1 lb. per cubic foot, which, I think, is roughly how they came from the factory.  Found what appears to be an open 8mfd 50V NP electrolytic in one of the tweeter circuits so far; time to get out the soldering station.

Would like to stop in and check this place out, but, sadly, I'll be coming from the opposite direction.

Bill    

• Got the bug on Saturday to measure my final design for Iowa, the Industrials.  Here's how they turned out:

D1PP1N4thtrykennykjholtzJasonPgreywardenBryan@MAC
  • Here's a pic.  They turned out pretty good.  That's Rustoleum "Hammered" silver applied with a foam roller.

jholtzBryan@MACD1PP1NkennykTurn2JasonPgreywarden4thtry
  • that is pretty nice. Did you use the spay can or this came in a paint can?
  • 2017 Iowa House Track available.

https://goo.gl/xqX7tY

There are three versions in the folder - HD (24bit96k Flac), CD (16bit44.1k Wav) and MP3 (320kbps). Feel free to do your own A/B testing if you're so inclined. 

Track listing:

1.       She Caught The Katy – “Joliet” Jake Blues – The Blues Brothers OST

2.       Little Fly – Esperanza Spalding

3.       Mr. Tambourine Man – Bob Dylan

4.       Marta’s Song – Deep Forest

5.       Lost Prayer – Zakk Wylde

6.       Believer – Imagine Dragons

Total time:  05:18

Nicholas_23PWRRYDkennykgreywarden4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Don't really care for #4 but everything else is more than fantastic. I gotta start listening to some Zakk Wylde, for real though. Excellent song choices as usual!
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Very interesting titanium mids just arrived at my doorstep this afternoon from NedLab.  Eugen is the owner of NedLab and the lead designer from Tranducer Labs fame.  This is a one-of-a-kind driver - not yet in production. Some lucky bastard is going to walk away with these in exactly 10 days.  

ScottSPWRRYDJasonPisaeagle4031Nicholas_23kennykD1PP1N4thtrycssaudio1
    My signature goes here
  • Man I wish I could make it. Again, maybe next year. 
  • Anyone interested in buying some MCM 55-2669 5.25" aluminum modbasses?  I have 4 that I could bring to Iowa.  They have been mounted for testing but are otherwise new and flawless.  I'd take $15 each for them.  I don't have their original boxes.
  • edited October 2017
    Exhibitor registration will be closing on Tuesday.  At that point we might be able to entertain a few "second entries" from our current list of presenters.  Attendee registration will close on Thursday night.  Remember - you MUST register if you're attending, even if you're not bringing a project.  These events are already hard enough to plan - not having a good headcount is infuriating and just messes things up. Thanks for understanding. 

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2017/registration/

My signature goes here
  • Wow wow .... I hope @maynardg doesn't mind me sharing this beautiful system. Looking forward to hearing the Last Hurrahs!! 
    kennykJasonPTurn2Nicholas_23greywarden4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Also looking forward to hearing a new @PWRRYD tube amp, a bunch of awesome registered projects from old DIY friends and new DIY dudes and participating in the informal listening session camaraderie at the hotel. We are less than a week away!!  Shit!!
    kennykPWRRYDJasonP4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Wish I had more time to voice these, but they are what they are....for now.
    Bryan@MACkennykD1PP1Ngreywarden4thtry
  • If they sound half as good as they look!  <3
  • Very sweet on the curviliciousness there, Marty. 

s(DG)
    There are woofers and then there are woofers. I like 'em both. 
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Wow wow .... I hope @maynardg doesn't mind me sharing this beautiful system. Looking forward to hearing the Last Hurrahs!! 
    I'm diggin the DIY tube gear!  What's up with the power amp on the bottom-right with empty sockets? :(
  • Hi Maynard,

I shouldn't have put the distressed face at the end of my last post... what I meant to say was "Tell me more about that amp".  

On my small phone screen it's hard to tell if those are octal or 9 pin sockets.  Thanks.
  • This is a sick opportunity for somebody to scoop up a LCR system at the Iowa DIY.  Darren Wander (Deewan on the forums) is looking to sell his Statement II mains and center channel for $1700.  This is less than the combined price of the kits!!  This will not be on the swap meet table for lowball offers.  If anyone is seriously interested, I can put you in touch Darren and you can work out the details. It's hard to tell from the pics, but this is a custom metallic black and pearl automotive finish.  Serious inquiries only, please.

Build thread can be viewed here:  http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?42607-Statement-II-The-Remix

Spiked bases:

Closeup of metallic black paint:

kennykgreywarden4thtry
    My signature goes here
  • Those are a killer bargain! Darren is a master craftsman.

Jim
  • Marty what happened with the copper veneered speakers?
  • Unless you have a better
    design in mind, these are a steal!
  • D1PP1N said:
    Marty what happened with the copper veneered speakers?
    and the Raal tweeters...
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • D1PP1N said:

Good memory!  Unfortunately the woofer position was too low and the interaction between floor and the Usher 8955A made for an awful bass bloom requiring a rebuild.  Since  I'd always wanted to try something with a slimmer profile 'V2' of the Gambits was born.  The copper veneer was salvaged and may someday reappear. 

Thanks for asking!
  • D1PP1N said:
    and the Raal tweeters...
    I've never had Raal tweeters, John...but if you have a pair you'd like me to try!!!  ;)
    kennyk
  • edited October 2017
    Didn't you, your wife, son, or sibling win some at Iowa a few years back?

I was not drinking at the time...

• Was it Chris Roemer who got them?  Anyone recall?
  • Was it Chris Roemer who got them?  Anyone recall?
    We gave Raals away once - in 2013 I believe and Chris was indeed the winner. 
    My signature goes here