Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• About 172 internal. Maybe another couple hours.

I have a signature.
  • Plate rib is my favorite cut that we smoke.

Here is the before

And the after

About 10 hours in the smoker at 275 until around 200 internal, salt and pepper only.

We don't wrap our plate rib, but we do wrap our briskets in butcher paper after about 8 hours or so.

jr@macNicholas_23squamishdroc
  • That looks great! Last I temped, the fattest part was at 192 so it is getting close. Going to make some chili laced cornbread to go with it.

I have a signature.

• Ready for oven.

I have a signature.

• hifisidekenrhodesNicholas_23squamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • Steve_LeekenrhodesNicholas_23silverDjhollandersquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • First time , sounded good , probably better for winter but..... Carne guisada . Added some beef short ribs to the mix , adding some nice fat as it cooks out. Chuck roast for the base meat.

jr@mackenrhodesPWRRYDSilver1omoSteve_Leesquamishdroc
  • edited July 2023

Not beef but...
    Had one of those "This needs out of the freezer" moments.
    I may have cut a little too deep through the fat cap. Still getting the hang of this.

jr@macSilver1omoSteve_LeekenrhodesNicholas_23
  • edited July 2023

Guess slicing so deep lets that smoke ring sneak way in there though.
    Pork loin, Applewood rub, Hickory pellets, 225f for about 4.5hrs
    Local rub. Some of my wife's favorite (no seriously lol): https://www.eatchub.com/

kenrhodesSilver1omoSteve_LeesquamishdrocNicholas_23PWRRYD
  • Spuds with garlic in foil packet , some baked beans doctored up and two hunks of chuckeye steak , salt pepper and garlic powder. Very tasty!

kenrhodesDrewsBrewssquamishdroc
  • @DrewsBrews said:

Guess slicing so deep lets that smoke ring sneak way in there though.
    Pork loin, Applewood rub, Hickory pellets, 225f for about 4.5hrs
    Local rub. Some of my wife's favorite (no seriously lol): https://www.eatchub.com/

I just picked up a couple of pork loins. I'm going to give that slicing a try. I might also lay a couple stips of very fatty bacon on top of them as these don't have much of a fat cap. Going fishing with my son today so will probably smoke them tomorrow.

kenrhodesNicholas_23DrewsBrews
  • I am making French dips for the kid and her boyfriend tonight, it was their request. Will be the first red meat I have eaten in a couple months.

Maybe I will do a tomahawk steak next weekend for the wife and I to share.

I have a signature.
  • PWRRYDNicholas_23kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • edited July 2023

@Nicholas_23 said:

That's a nice looking plate!

• edited July 2023

My father tells me he cured some pork belly so he is coming over Saturday to smoke it. Next he wants to do pastrami... OMG yes, pastrami is king of sliced meats!

I might have to try brining a flank steak or something along with him to see how that turns out as pastrami.

Drummer
  • I do pastrami pretty often, love it.

Drummer
    I have a signature.
  • edited July 2023

Here's how my father's bacon turned out.

I had a chuck roast in the freezer that he left with to brine. Otherwise I'd smoke it as "cheap brisket".

Picked up two 9.75lb pork butts to smoke for Saturday (Kroger BOGO free). That's going to be a long one... I think. I hear it takes 1-2hr/lb at 225F to get to finish temp for pulled pork. That's a huge variance for 10lb though. What are your experiences? I had one success with pulled pork but that was probably a year ago and I don't remember the details. Thinking of just getting started at 10pm Friday at 200F, then foil wrap it in the morning and kick the temp up.

hifisidekenrhodes
  • I did three 8ish pounders last monday for a work cook out/lunch. Started about 9 AM , two on the weber kettle at 250 and one on the pellet at 250. Hindsight being 20/20 shouldve just done them all on the pellet. Took them off when they temped at 170-175 and wrapped in butcher paper then back on until 205 which took me to about 9PM. Took them all off and with the butcher paper, wrapped on them all in some old clean towels and put into a cooler for about 2 hours. Pulled clean when I pulled the bone. Was very good. Co-workers seemed to have enjoyed too. I also mopped with apple cider vinegar before wrapping them.

PWRRYDDrewsBrewshifisidekenrhodesSilver1omo
  • What kind of grilles/Smokers are you guys using?

I got my best results out of a simple Weber cooker/grill using fresh cut Hickory and White Oak wood over hardwood charcoal [as the base fire] but have been through a Chargriller "Acorn", Weber "Smoky mountain" smoker and a few contraptions of my own construction in the past.

Cooking for just myself these days so smaller batches needed - looking at getting another Weber cooker/grill to keep things simple.

• I have a cheap "Smoke Hollow" electric. Picked it up on sale at Menards a few years ago.

• I use a Traeger. I also fill a smoke tube and place that in it. Lasts a few hours and definitely makes a difference.

I have a signature.
  • Vegan chili.

I have a signature.
  • edited July 2023

I picked up a Camp Chef 24" pellet grill/smoker, used, off craigslist. Just has the basic temp selection knob, no digital stuff. Pellet seemed like the best combo of versatility and ease of use (auto temp control). Though it is probably up there with the most expensive options in both initial cost and running cost. Normally I'm more frugal and would have likely gone electric, but research told me 1500watts can only go so far. Could be an issue if it is cold out and trying to do a turkey quick enough to minimize time in the "danger zone".

Though, I found the achilles' heel of pellet is wind. In high winds it will make the pellets burn faster and the temp will spike. Probably depends on the specific design though as far as how susceptible it is. My area is very windy unfortunately so I'll need to figure out some way to give it some protection.

Rural king has Lumber Jack brand pellets that seem good and often you will find good sales on the stuff.

@jr@mac said:
    I use a Traeger. I also fill a smoke tube and place that in it. Lasts a few hours and definitely makes a difference.

I was wondering about that since I saw the tube in one of your photos. I think I saw someone doing that recently in a vid. Guess it's not just for cold smoking.

• Lumberjack brand are top notch. Avoid traeger brand pellets.

Nicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • I burn a 50/50 blend of their "char hickory" and regular hickory.

I have a signature.
  • edited July 2023

Tried cherry pellets instead of hickory, and no wrap. 17hrs in and they are at 201F and 203F. Waiting for 205 since got plenty of time.

Had an unexpected thunderstorm while I was asleep so my double probe thermometer got drenched and might be dead. Swapped for my single probe backup. In hindsight there was no reason for me to leave the unit out there. Should have just unplugged the probes and brought it inside lol. Live and learn.

At least that means today's rain came early so should be a nice sunny day for the party!

jr@macNicholas_23Steve_LeePWRRYD
  • edited July 2023

@jr@mac said:
    Lumberjack brand are top notch. Avoid traeger brand pellets.

A few years ago at end of season they had the Lumber Jack stuff for $5/20lb bag. I made a few trips and I ended up getting over 300lb of various types. B) I'd like to think I'm set for a while, but sheesh, these long sessions can knock down an entire bag or more.

I got a couple bags of char-hickory since my wife loves charcoal grilled food. I don't think I've tried it yet though.

• Bet the bone pulls clean . Nicely done!

• Getting an early (late?) start.

PWRRYD
    I have a signature.