Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• I had a hard time with brisket too, still do sometimes. Every smoker is different, but I run mine at 250 for brisket.

We usually try and buy just the brisket point, it's fattier than the flat, but it's easier because of that.

Started smoking them overnight, wake up in the morning and wrap it with butcher paper until done.

Might go back to 225 with smoking them overnight, only started going to 250because it was taking all day and then some.

We do fat cap up as well.

Works for us, YMMV.

• edited October 2023

Yep after this experience I'm thinking 225-250 is probably better balance of time on the smoke but less time to dry out. I guess I could get off my lazy butt and wrap it too.

I dug into the middle towards the point tonight and slapped some slices in the toaster oven for a pre-midnight snack. A little more moist and withstood the rub better. Still a little too dry for proper succulent brisket, but definitely palatable. The flat on this is probably going in the trash.

I might just stick with chuck roasts. Smaller/cheaper and we don't really cook for more than 4 ever unless bringing something to a party. And even then there is a resident brisket guy. So I'll leave that to him and do pork or poultry.

Steve_Lee
  • I’ll be bringing some antelope jerky to Iowa

jr@mactajanesjhollanderSilver1omo
  • kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • Stew turned out great. Sent the kid and her BF home with a ton of leftovers. They actually eat them, they tend to die in my fridge. Still learning how to cook for two.

I have a signature.
  • Tacos de cachete. Cheeck tacos.

tajanesDrewsBrews
  • I am about 60 minutes away from having a small pork butt fully smoked. Internal temp just finished the 180 F plataeu and is now climbing to the target 195 F. Then a 30 min rest. We have lots of goodies to go with it.

hifiside
  • @Silver1omo said:

Tacos de cachete. Cheeck tacos.

Your tacos look fantastic!

• And tomorrow we'll have lengua.

jr@macNicholas_23
  • Taco's or ....

• Cooked and cleaned. Tomorrow will be reheated and sliced.

• Some might not know what that is.

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    Some might not know what that is.

Beef's tongue (lengua), will be sliced and made into tacos with the usual onion and cilantro and salsa verde.

• If you close the door the autumn leaves won't blow into your cooking area . . .

hifisideSilver1omo

• Crispy pork belly.

jr@macPWRRYDNicholas_23
  • Bean and ham soup. Lots of carrots, onions, and celery along with a ham base broth. Leftover ham from thanksgiving.

PWRRYDSilver1omoNicholas_23
    I have a signature.

• Flatiron, loaded baker, bbq beans. Summer food in December why not?

Nicholas_23hifisidekenrhodessilverDtajanesjholtz
    I have a signature.
  • Not sure why that cut gets a bad rap , if you dont turn it into a hockey puck , its quite wonderful!

jr@mac
  • Cooked med rare and sliced against the grain it is superb.

jholtz
    I have a signature.
  • Dolts like me always turn those into hockey pucks :s

• Flatiron is one of our favorites, served with homemade chimichurri sauce.

jr@macJasonP
  • Charcuterie from last night... Served with a pour of Bowmore 15yr. Was most excellent nibbling experience.

DrewsBrews
    I have a signature.
  • edited December 2023

Love biting into some crisp bell pepper!. Nice flavor combos going on there. Back when I did wine tastings I found pear was a good subtle flavor to prop up other bold flavors. Some real Vermont butter with sea salt folded in is quite nice too. But of course depends on what flavors/textures you are trying to bring out.

jr@mac
  • Found some tri-tip on sale, so tonight was tri-tip Friday (like tri-tip Tuesday, but on a Friday)

We like to do a reverse sear, about an hour on the smoker and finished on the grill.

Before

After

On the plate with some homemade chimichurri sauce

Silver1omoSteve_LeesilverDjr@mac
  • That looks fantastic! Love me some tritip.

I have a signature.
  • Silver1omoJakes_dad
    I have a signature.
  • Dang and all I had was crummy Applebees

• I think my meat to veg ratio might be a bit off....

• @Jakes_dad said:
    I think my meat to veg ratio might be a bit off....

Looks like all you need is one green bean