Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• My experience with venison has been mixed. We used to hang ours for about a month in a cooler before processing, dry aging. That helps.

It is pretty lean though, as John points out. Leaner than grass fed and finished beef with a similar "gamey" flavor.

I have a signature.
  • @R-Carpenter said:
    Steak related.
    As some of you guys know, I moved to rural area in upstate NY. Pretty close to Lake Ontario ( brownish sky today because of forest fires in Canada).
    There's a lot of deer around. I am tossing the idea around about getting crossbow (permit, license etc) and a freezer. Is it worth it? Anyone has good experience cooking venison? There are local butchers that will process deer too.
    Any suggestions? I've done quite a bit of conventional meats but not wild game.
    Ohh, and Happy Birthday JR!

Can’t say I’ve ever met anyone that loves venison steak. I’ve eaten a lot and the only time it tasted good was with a drink too many. Lean, gamy and a little too tough—and I kind of like gamey . A friend from long ago perfected blackened venison burgers. He never told us the exact ratio but he’d make a vat of ground venison and throw in some 80% ground beef (not much he claimed), blackening spices mix and freeze in patties that were a little round and probably about .15 pounds. Bigger than a slider and smaller than a typical burger. Those were absolutely delicious and you could never eat just 2. His steaks just tasted like every other venison steak I’ve ever eaten however.

R-Carpenter
  • We make chislic every year with it. Deer is lean and gamy to me and finding somebody that’s good at making deer sticks around here is far and few between. We do the same with
    Antelope but when fresh we cook the back strap the day of the kill.

• The last two deer I shot , one doe one big buck were made into deer burger and sticks. The kid use to eat alot of tacos and spaghetti so thats what we used in dinners that needed ground beef. I bet we didnt have to buy burger for a year with each of those deer. P.S both were taken to a locker or processing. If youre into jerky , deer works great for that too. I use this https://himtnjerky.com/ for whole muscle meat jerky.

kenrhodesR-Carpenter
  • I've worked with several avid hunters and have really liked the deer jerky they've shared. I've tried the burgers and steaks and didn't care for them at all.

• Most venison I have liked has been served either in a red wine marinade/sauce, or with lots of brown gravy and mushrooms. But it can be tasty when prepared appropriately. It is not going to replace your beef rib-eye!

• Wrap a leg of venison with a ton of raw onions and baby carrots in 6 layers of foil then bake it in an oven to about 145* measured at the bone then let it rest for an hour . . .

R-Carpenter
  • @Steve_Lee said:
    Wrap a leg of venison with a ton of raw onions and baby carrots in 6 layers of foil then bake it in an oven to about 145* measured at the bone then let it rest for an hour . . .

Slow bake like pork at 200 or go with 350 in the oven like you would do beef roast?

• Slow bake is best for all meats - retains moisture and becomes more tender.

• Spare ribs today. Cut them into a St Louis rack plus the rib tip portion.

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • And of course the chefs privilege, trimmings for my high protein breakfast...

kenrhodes
    I have a signature.
  • kenrhodesSteve_LeeS7910squamishdrocTurn2
    I have a signature.
  • Tis the season...

squamishdroc
    I have a signature.

• About three hours on.

I have a signature.
  • and how do you make the rub ?

• @tajanes said:
    and how do you make the rub ?

Salt, pepper, bunch of other stuff ;-)

tajanesSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • Not steak but…. There is one thing nice about my wife working part time at the grocery store as she got the job because she was tired of working at home for the last 15 years and never seeing anybody so she got a job at the grocery store so she could meet people she likes to talk.
    Anyway we score this a lot $.50 a pound, 91 pounds.

jr@macPWRRYDjhollander
  • Damn, that's a lot of tacos. But hey, it is Tuesday ;)

• @tommytunes50 said:
    Damn, that's a lot of tacos. But hey, it is Tuesday ;)

For good tacos I would recommend beef's cheek or tongue. Chopped cilantro and onion with a hot salsa verde.
    Not a fan of ground beef and taco seasoning...

R-Carpenter
  • @Silver1omo said:

@tommytunes50 said:
    Damn, that's a lot of tacos. But hey, it is Tuesday ;)

For good tacos I would recommend beef's cheek or tongue. Chopped cilantro and onion with a hot salsa verde.
    Not a fan of ground beef and taco seasoning...

Beef cheek is outstanding.

I have a signature.
  • I'll have to look around here and see if I can find beef cheek. How do you cook it?

• Butt or Facial?

• @Steve_Lee said:
    Butt or Facial?

Facial

• Trim some connective tissue, then low and slow.

I have a signature.
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I'll have to look around here and see if I can find beef cheek. How do you cook it?

Boil it until tender with onion, garlic and all the herbs you like. Commonly 1/2 onion, 1/2 garlic and 2-3 laurel leaves. But you can add more herbs as desired.
    At home we pretty much add whatever we have at hand.
    Once fork tender, chop as fine as you want and season (salt an pepper), if you go crazy in the chopping you'll end up with jello.
    Now, once cold the fat congeals and does not look/feel nice, so, keep it hot, a steamer is a great way to do so.
    You might want to serve it with hot (temp) salsa to help in this regard.

Pretty much the same with tongue, but you need to "peel" it as it has a hard/rubbery outer skin. and it is "leaner" and looks/feels more like meat.

You can also steam it from the beginning. I do prefer salsa verde as it's acidity works well with the fatty meat. But any salsa you like should work.

Steve_Lee

• Big ol slab of beef short ribs going on smoker tomorrow. Got them rubbed down and sitting in fridge overnight.

hifisidePWRRYDkenrhodes
    I have a signature.

• Couple hours in.

Silver1omokenrhodessquamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • edited June 2023

you can overnight that to my address, right?

jr@mac
  • I might bring a big bag of smoky treats to Iowa, just saying...

tajanesSilver1omo
    I have a signature.